Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a real good pair of sunglasses that fit over my glasses

Used to have Oakley Fitover Sunglasses with extra lens and all packed in a case but can't find anymore. Anyone let me know where. Up to about 120 is what i can afford.

Is there anyone in London near Camberwell as well who is elderly and has a 3 wheeled recumbent like i do who is willing to come out for trips with me on occassions when i am a bit fitter. Just for riding and chat as i am married but house work and staying in with no person to chat with is getting boring. I am friendly and its for nothing more than that.
    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 01-19-11 at 10:46 PM. Reason: remove e-mail

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help on the riding partner. Check a fly fishing shop for some fitover glasses. They will have what you seek.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, can't help with your questions, but you might want to edit out your email address and invite responses via forum Private Messages instead. It helps avoid the dreaded spam.
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent several years looking intermittently for fit-over sunglasses and never did find any that worked well. Either they slipped off or scratched the prescription lenses or were optically flawed or looked so godawful I couldn't stand them (and I'm not very concerned about appearances...). I finally sucked it up and ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses. Transition (color-changing) lenses work fairly well, too.
    As far as the fit-overs, I couldn't tell a difference between the cheapest supermarket ones and the expensive versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Bolle sunglasses that comes with an insert for your prescription lenses. I got them Walmart for $35. Then the prscription lenses is whatever. I think the total for mine was $110. I got bifocals. I really like them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou for the advice and will do. Cheers Peter

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the life is a glass half full, I love optimism, life's better that way.
    Riding the streets of San Francisco, the roads of West Marin and Northern California...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how this thread shows up on the index:

As to sunglasses, i got a pair of side-shield safety glasses with "transitions" lenses which work fairly well. The side shields were trying to keep wind out of my eyes. They weren't cheap, unfortunately.

On the ride partner, you might check for rides at the speed in question with local bike shops or bike clubs. I know at my local bike shop, there are several retirees that ride on Thursday mornings, but the ride is not an "official" published ride, so you'd have to find it by asking around.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can look here http://www.fitovers.com/ but I have found that these are one of the things that benifit from trying before buying. I bought a pair from Wal-Mart for about $20.00. They worked well for both cycling and kayaking/fishing and driving. Plus for $20, I figured when I heard them go 'plunk' into a lake it would be no big loss. I had them until they slid out the car window(wife was driving my car that day). Anyway, those fit over the glasses I had at the time, when I got new glasses, they didn't fit well at all. The new glasses are slightly bigger than the old ones, and I can't find a fitover that fits as well, and is somewhat comfortable.
    Good luck.

My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Vistana sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses. They come in various sizes and styles. They don't seem to have their own web site, but if you google "Vistana glasses" you'll come up with several sites that sell them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    You can look here http://www.fitovers.com/ but I have found that these are one of the things that benifit from trying before buying. I bought a pair from Wal-Mart for about $20.00. They worked well for both cycling and kayaking/fishing and driving. Plus for $20, I figured when I heard them go 'plunk' into a lake it would be no big loss. I had them until they slid out the car window(wife was driving my car that day). Anyway, those fit over the glasses I had at the time, when I got new glasses, they didn't fit well at all. The new glasses are slightly bigger than the old ones, and I can't find a fitover that fits as well, and is somewhat comfortable.
    Good luck.
    You might want to look in a shooting supply shop.

Cabelas has a store at Hamburg, PA. I purchased a number of shooting glasses that fit nicely over my regular glasses. The shooting glasses give protection all around the eye. Side pieces, top fill in strip and then the bottoms. Keeps grit and bugs out of the eyes that are normally carried behind regular glasses as you ride. They come in different lens colors and degree of darkening. Some cut through haze and really sharpen your vision.

My Bikes
    2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Vistana. They fit well and people don't know you're wearing regular glasses underneath. I would get them again.

http://www.liveeyewear.com/vistana/

-stevnim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a warning:

I rode for ~6 months using a pair of Solar Shields over my glasses. They were comfortable, blocked UV adequatelty, seemed to be a good solution

...then I got a pair of cheap cycling glasses with prescription inserts, and it immediately became painfully obvious what the problem with Solar Shields is: NO PERIPHERAL VISION!!!!

Avoid Solar Shields, sez I.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has had any experience with any of the riding glasses that have the prescription inserts. I've heard some people swear by them, and some folks say they cause distortion and headaches. My glasses, (Bi focals) with sunglass clip-ons, are simply too small for daytime riding. So, I'm looking for something with more coverage, with wrap-around style.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.