Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: How do you get here?

It's time to upgrade my ISP. I wondered how do others get on line and how satisfied they are with their service.

My options are AT&T and Comcast, and I've been looking at Comcast's Performance package, and AT&T's Elite package.

How's your service?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been very happy with Verizon, but I guess that doesn't help you much . . . sorry!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ATT is passable. Both companies, though, are part of the axis of evil.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using RCN for several years now, and I'm very satisfied with the service. And.. They let you use your own cable modem. But, this does you no good, as they are
    only a regional New England provider.

I'd suggest reading some of the stuff at Broadband Reports. Some good information to be had there. As far as the reviews go, they're typical of internet reviews of anything.

Do be leery of comcast though. I have it from several now ex-customers that they cap bandwidth, a big concern if you watch lots of movies on-line. Their customer service is the stuff of legend, bad legend.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Verizon at my office and Comcast at home. I like the Comcast better. Using same computer in both places, and the Comcast has been more reliable and seems just a bit faster. I say "seems" because it's just a perception. Never had any problems with bandwith on either.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comcast user, for both internet and TV. Not bad service, I have had to use the help phone line for both TV and internet a few times, it was from moderate to good. We haven't had an outage in a long time. Speed can be slow. However, the computer that I use most is old, and the router is due for an upgrade also. I have a blue-ray play that I can connect to the internet and wach movies and stuff(why I need this, I'll never figure out), I tried it once with a movie(Quicksilver to keep it bike related), and it worked fine. The best part of our Coomcast experience, is there is an office a short distance away, so if I have a problem, or want to upgrade a box, I just walk in and get a new box, or remote. When one of our dogs was a puppy, she had a taste for my wife's shoes, and TV remotes. I took the chewed Comcast remote to the office, expecting to be charged for it. No problem, just got a new one, no charge. The person behind the desk said it happenes all the time, then showed me one that was really chewed, it had holes and parts missing.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used AT&T since 1996 and have no complaints here.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broadstripe cable is the only broadband choice in my neighborhood. Well, that or satellite. They've been more-or-less OK.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comcast is working well for us of late. Performance improved quite a bit when I replaced the decade-old router with a current-spec one.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't help you, but I use RoadRunner. I was one of the original beta-testers here back in the late 90s, and I've never seen a need to change.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comcast without a doubt. ATT is DSL, which is the ultimate suckage.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX (2009)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twobadfish View Post
    I was with Comcast at $58 per month; changed to a $35/mo. medium speed DSL from AT&T and have not noticed any difference in technical performance. Customer service from both has been cheerfully promised and miserably executed; coordinating and executing the changeover (hoping to minimize downtime) was miserable.
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suddenlink here, but that helps you none. It's the only game in town outside of satellite or DSL. It's OK now (although I've been warned to avoid their IP phone service), but it wasn't always that way. Four years ago, it just plain stunk. I just checked and I'm getting something like 10 meg down and 1 meg up, according to Speakeasy.

Maybe a bit more relevant - When my mom lived in Sugar Land, TX (Houston area), she was on Comcast and I never heard complaints from her, nor did I really notice any issues when we visited. FWIW.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Verizon palm pre plus and it comes with a wi fi hot spot. It works great and I don't have to pay Cox anymore. I just have to have the phone near the computer and wal la.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time-Warner cable and high-speed internet.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verizon FIOS
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Comcast and got Verizon FIOS when it became available in my neighborhood. It was a very big improvement in up and download speeds. HDTV quality was better too.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be glad you have choices. I am at the very end of the service area for Windstream and a 1/4 mile past the end of service for Charter cable.
    My DSL service ranges from OK to terrible. People closer to town say theirs works much better.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    My options are AT&T and Comcast, and I've been looking at Comcast's Performance package, and AT&T's Elite package.

How's your service?
    I was with AT&T for 2 years. Was very happy for that 2 years. Near the end of our relationship their customer service was in the toilet. Took several days to NOT fix a problem.
    Dropped them and went with Comcast. It's been 1.5 years and I'm still happy.

BTW: My max connection speed with AT&T was ~3 Mb. My max speed with Comcast is ~21 Mb and the cost is about the same as AT&T.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Had Comcast and got Verizon FIOS when it became available in my neighborhood. It was a very big improvement in up and download speeds. HDTV quality was better too.
    +1 on this, I just did this a week ago

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AT&T Uverse. It's worked well for me.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    AT&T Uverse. It's worked well for me.
    I thought Uverse was just for their TV.

Each area is different, so I am taking note that my former employer switched from AT&T to Comcast. The Comcast starts out okay at $29.95, then moves to $44 after six months and to $59 after a year and AT&T tops out at $40.

I'm an animator so I really do need what speed I can get, but I'm unemployed as well, so I need to conserve funds. But I've already dropped that internet dating site, so that's freed up a little cash already.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSL is very sensitive to both your distance from the local switching center, and the 'quality' of the wires coming into (and within) your house. Cable is a bit more consistent. AT&T should be able to tell you, in advance, how well DSL would work for you.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ATT DSL Tested...2400 kb/s download and 384 kb/s upload latency 76ms. I have had ATT for 4+ years and no outages and it is fast enough that I do not lose any productivity. The cost is $33/month. I have Comcast cable for TV but I am sticking with ATT. In Los Angeles, we had Adelphia cable TV and internet and the reliability was bad. We had numerous outages.

In fairness to Comcast, the TV digital cable has been pretty reliable and the picture quality excellent. Their cost for internet would be higher and theoretically faster. The key to the user experience with respect to speed is the throughput of the wireless router and the host web site's ability to deliver content.

One of the variables that slows opening web pages is the number of pings it takes to establish connection which can be due to the number of ads they are trying to serve up. My connection to the WSJ is terrible which is the case with many newspapers. While my connection to Microsoft and Apple web sites is fast. My point is I do not think I would load the WSJ any faster even if I had infinite speed.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bosma View Post
    Originally Posted by twobadfish

I was with Comcast at $58 per month; changed to a $35/mo. medium speed DSL from AT&T and have not noticed any difference in technical performance. Customer service from both has been cheerfully promised and miserably executed; coordinating and executing the changeover (hoping to minimize downtime) was miserable.
    I did a similar switch from Road Runner to medium speed ATT Uverse and it seems fine.

FWIW, I did it when ATT offered a good promotional rate after they ran fiber optic cable to my neighborhood. Perhaps DSL over fiber optic is superior to POTS DSL?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast