Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike routes in Scottsdale

HI, I posted this in the Southwest Forum, but thought I'd try here, too. Any Scottsdale people here that can help me?

Hi, I'll be visiting Scottsdale, AZ for a sculpture workshop next week. We are staying at the Roadrunner RV park, and the workshop is 4 miles away at the Scottsdale Artist School.

I google mapped it and there are three suggested routes: N Pima Road to East Thomas Rd to Goldwater Rd. is one of them. It looks pretty quiet from Satellite view. Is this a good route to bicycle? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help in advance!

http://maps.google.com/

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of doing this one when I head out to Barrett-Jackson later this week.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/183183

I thought Barrett-Jackson was the only reason people went to Scottsdale this week...
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    I'm thinking of doing this one when I head out to Barrett-Jackson later this week.

I thought Barrett-Jackson was the only reason people went to Scottsdale this week...
    I always watch the B-J auction on the Speed Channel. Those guys take N+1,2,3... to a new level

I don't know why, but mid 60's Vettes are looking pretty sweet this year.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid 60's Vettes always look pretty sweet. I'd love to find a good deal on a 69' Mach 1 myself.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid 60's Vettes always look pretty sweet. I'd love to find a good deal on a 69' Mach 1 myself.
    Why wait, the prices only get steeper as the event goes on. Unless... you are looking for one of those "really special" editions.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be heading out today. My best friend is a high roller (he's been there since Tuesday) with a nice collection. I saw a 69' clone Mach 1 last year that went for around $25k...and it was very nice. I could go for something like that.

Watching on TV is great, but there's nothing like standing on the stage waiting to bid...even if it's your friend doing the bidding!
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you get one of those "well bought" deals.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottsdale is full of great routes. It's the destination of many group rides, even if they don't originate there.

How far do you want to ride? Are you looking for hills, or a flat route?

ridewithgps.com is full of Scottsdale routes. My club uses that site and has rides that go into and through the area, but originating 20 miles away.

Let me know more of what you are looking for, and I can point you to some rides...
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MM, the ride map stops just short if the fantastic Frank Lloyd Wright center, you should consider Taliesin West as your turn around. http://www.franklloydwright.org/fllw...104/Tours.html
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabriz View Post
    HI, I posted this in the Southwest Forum, but thought I'd try here, too. Any Scottsdale people here that can help me?

Hi, I'll be visiting Scottsdale, AZ for a sculpture workshop next week. We are staying at the Roadrunner RV park, and the workshop is 4 miles away at the Scottsdale Artist School.

I google mapped it and there are three suggested routes: N Pima Road to East Thomas Rd to Goldwater Rd. is one of them. It looks pretty quiet from Satellite view. Is this a good route to bicycle? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help in advance!

http://maps.google.com/
    Pima Rd has some construction around Pinnacle Peak road, but other than that it has a good shoulder for riding. You will see many cyclists on it on the weekends. Hayden and Mountan View have bike lanes as well.

You might be able to pick up a map of streets with bike lanes at a bike shop. Landis Cyclery at Scottsdale Rd and Shea has some, but I have not looked in years, since I started riding with ABC chapters.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a map put out by the "Maricopa Association of Governements" that shows the various flavors of bike routes and paths for the entire greater Phoenix area. It's pretty useful, and so is using Google maps satellite imagery to check out a route to see if there is a bike lane or decent shoulder.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I did google satellite, but can't really tell about part of the route. It looks like 2 lanes with no bike lane. And, I'm just looking to get from point A to point B as described in my original post. Traffic appears to be light, but again I can't really tell if said traffic is going 30 miles or 60 miles on these roads.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    MM, the ride map stops just short if the fantastic Frank Lloyd Wright center, you should consider Taliesin West as your turn around. http://www.franklloydwright.org/fllw...104/Tours.html
    Mark

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look in the Did You Ride Today thread. Phil85207 has posted several GPS-mapped rides there that run through Scottsdale.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot