User Tag List

My Bikes
    Klein Carbon Q 2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hip flexors hurting

Does anyone here have problems with your hip flexors? I have been spinning a lot and cross country skiing. They seem to hurt more at night after a workout. Does anyone have solutions to hip flexor problems? Is it a muscle imbalance?

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what muscles are used for XC skiing but do know that if you are doing overgear in the spinning, the hip flexors are isolated. Maybe a combination of both activities has put the hurt in the muscles.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I don't know what muscles are used for XC skiing but do know that if you are doing overgear in the spinning, the hip flexors are isolated. Maybe a combination of both activities has put the hurt in the muscles.
    Bingo! This would be my guess as well.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it muscle pain, or something else? I've been having hip pain for a year or so, especially when using the flexors, but my pain isn't (or doesn't feel like it's) in the muscles, but in the joints. I had an opportunity to go swimming once last summer and the pain from a breaststroke kick almost made me pass out (I exaggerate, but only for effect). I'm not sure what the problem is, but flexor exercises haven't been helping (I was hoping that toning those muscles might get things back in alignment, so to speak).
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Klein Carbon Q 2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it might be an over use injury.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it an injury, or is it just soreness from a hard workout of muscle groups not previously worked so hard? Does it go away after a couple of days of rest? Does massage ease the soreness? Hopefully it's not an injury, but just a sign you are working the muscle hard.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muscles can hurt from overuse injury, fatigue and tightness. Xc skiing use the HF to return the ski after the push off and is stretched to allow the leg to push back. See pic below

Cycling uses the HF to lift the leg up.

I suggest some easy stretches for the HF but since they are sore, easy!
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HF's and Piriforis muscles are engaged primarily when you pull up and over the top of the pedal stroke. The picture posted by Hermes is a good example of HF and Piriformis engagement when pulling the trail leg through to become the lead leg. The HF and Piriformis need to be stretched out pre and post exercise and need to be strengthened, generally because so little focus is placed on them, especially Piriformis. Tight HF's and Piriformis will also contribute to low back problems, soreness and premature fatigue, especially while on your bike.
    Here are a couple of sites that should help you.
    I suggest you engage a very competent personal trainer to help you understand how to stretch and work these muscles. Incorrect Piriformis stretching can put a lot of torque on your knee.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...formis_str.htm

http://www.sports-injury-info.com/hi...or-injury.html

Good luck
    Last edited by VaultGuru; 01-21-11 at 01:00 PM.

My Bikes
    Klein Carbon Q 2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Vaultguru

I coached vault for many years. One of my favorite vault speakers is Jan Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my daughter's gymnastics teammates is competing pole vault this spring season for the first time. She excited about it.

I tend to pull up on the lower pedal, especially when climbing and that can lead to sore HF tendon insertion points. Also, weak VMO or general quad muscles weakness can cause soreness in the frontal hip area from pushing a big gear. Improper tracking of the knee through the pedal stroke can also exacerbate this. Cycling tightens the HF muscles and stretching is needed to keep them loose or, as mentioned above, can lead to lower back problems or piriformis/sciatic type pain.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of people use foam rollers (looks like a rolling pin) to loosen flexors and ITB's. Google flexor and roller. Check for videos on YouTube.