rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new low!

T'was sitting at "Bummies" this A.M. drinking coffeee and telling lies (I love retirement!)when one of the guys made a crack about biking in the cold. As it was -8 when I walked downtown, I just snorted and had another cup of coffee. Of course by the time I left I had a pretty goood coffee buzz going particularly as I've been cutting way back. So what to do with all this energy? 5 layers later, out the door we went, the c-dale and I. 10 miles later we were back and the temp had risen up to -2 it being -4 when we started. My previous coldest ride was +7.

The cold aside, it's a beautiful day, the sun is out and there's no wind to speak of and that doesn't happen very often. Would I do it on a regular basis, no way, and more power to those that do. On the other hand...

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cold ride! I don't think I've been out under 10 degrees.

I remember back while running track in college the coach would make the distance guys to wear sweat pants and gloves when the temps got below 15. Us sprinters had so much on we could barley move, the coach didn't need to remind us to dress warmly.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I plan to get out on the road tomorrow for a good ride in temps in the upper 30s. The roads are finally clear enough for a safe ride. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Desperate times call for desperate measures, i.e. another vacation to SoCal.
    GMR/GRR, Angeles Crest, Hwy 39, Mt. Wilson, Mt. Palomar . . . they're all waiting for you here!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    GMR/GRR, Angeles Crest, Hwy 39, Mt. Wilson, Mt. Palomar . . . they're all waiting for you here!

Rick / OCRR
    Arrgh! Stop.It.Now. lol
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's cold. The "there was no wind to speak of" must have made a big difference. Anything below 10F with wind, I can't seem to put enough layers on to keep warm for more than an hour.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fahrenheit or Celsius? Makes a bit of a difference to some of us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Fahrenheit or Celsius? Makes a bit of a difference to some of us.
    The OP is from Wisconsin, so, it's most likely Fahrenheit. Minus 4 degrees Celsius isn't all that cold and sure wouldn't be a new low for a winter rider in Wisconsin.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you guys are animals.
    It was almost too cold to drive to work this morning. (0 F)
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal best for a low is -4F. Sunday night when I go back to work, they are predicting temps in the -15F range. I am pleasantly surprised how little clothing I need for the cold temps.
    2008 Kona Fire Mountain/Xtracycle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I void warranties.
    Cycling well IS Cycling Advocacy
    Originally Posted by Steely Dan: if you're riding a bike and not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    My previous coldest ride was +7.
    I don't think I've ever been in air that cold, let alone ride a bike in it! I don't even like thinking about it. Give me a hot humid July day in Georgia and I can deal with it, but riding a bicycle in really cold weather? Nuh-uh. Call me a wimp.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Blue Dawg. I don't like to ride under 40 degrees. I guess were spoiled, at least I know I am. Arizona desert is just right for me. I can handle the 111 degree heat just fine but the cold hurts my bones.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a native Mainer. I can deal with the cooler temps easier than I can the heat and humidity.

I think that it is a case of it being a matter of what you are used to. I remember when I was in Texas one year for Christmas, I was running around in shorts and a t-shirt in mid to high thirties temperatures, while the folks that lived there thought it was cold. It was the first time in my life that I have worn shorts on Christmas day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I void warranties.
    Originally Posted by Steely Dan: if you're riding a bike and not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm like BD. I rode to work several years ago when it was 18F (-8C). Did that once!! Decided that my limit back then was hi 20s (-2C). Now that I'm retired my limit is 38F (3C) and when its that cold at the start of my ride I have to think really hard about riding.
    I'll take a warm (hi 80s to mid 90s [30-35C]) sunny day anytime.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40+ sounds good to me. Maybe a few degrees colder at the start. It doesn't seem right to hold a contest for which those of us in warmer climes are ineligible.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

rck
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    The OP is from Wisconsin, so, it's most likely Fahrenheit. Minus 4 degrees Celsius isn't all that cold and sure wouldn't be a new low for a winter rider in Wisconsin.
    That is correct.

If there had been any wind I would have either not ridden or just gone around the block in order to earn bragging rights. Truth be told, the only thing that kept me from going longer, was the fact that my hands and toes started to chill. Those are issues that I could have dealt with easily. Well that and the fact that as I've not ridden much of late my legs are hardly in any shape to do anything longer.

It was really quite exhilarating. The combination of caffiene, sunlight, and being on the bike made it an experience worth repeating-sometime. Heck, todays temp is up to +12(f). If it wasn't for the snow we got last night, the roads are way too slippery now, I would calll Skipper and drag him out of his winter cave!

My Bikes
    '84 Schwinn Letour Luxe, '84 Schwinn traveler, '87 Schwinn Prelude, 91 Giant Yukon, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5 unicrown
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put on an extra layer when it drops below 80, after 9 years in the tropics. 110 doesn't bother me anymore. -2? No thanks.

My Bikes
    Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '60's Schwinn Typhoon 2-speed kickback, Specialized Hardrock, Sun Flat-top unicycle
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Some of you guys are animals.
    It was almost too cold to drive to work this morning. (0 F)
    I'm colder driving to work than riding even when it's 0 F. My body's heater warms up faster than my car's. Helps that my commute is only 8 minutes long.
    This has to be a tie between re-frozen slushy uneven dirty ice stuff just right of the nicely plowed pavement, and super-glassy ice with a dusting of fresh powder - SalshShark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    56 today when I got home today, so I rode on the trainer. I am a wimp.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure glad I moved south. I worked outside most of my life and I'm pretty tired of cold.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rck, congratulations on the new low! You're a tough guy to ride in those temps.

I looked back through my bike books, 3 x 5 spiral notebooks, and the lowest starting temperature for a ride I have recorded was 17.6 F ambient with a 5 F windchill. When it gets that low, I look and feel like the Michelin Man. It's hard to pedal against all those layers, and as another has noted, it's hard to stay out for more than an hour.

I'll take the heat and humidity over having to ride all bundled up.

rck
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of extremes of temps-I remember that the day I left RVN it was around 100(f). I got off of the plane 60 hours later in Green Bay and with the wind chill, it was minus 75. I darn near got back on and said send me back!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
    I'm colder driving to work than riding even when it's 0 F. My body's heater warms up faster than my car's. Helps that my commute is only 8 minutes long.
    That is how it works out in my corner of the "verse too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I void warranties.