Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 RESPONSES, 176 50+ ers, STARTING TO COMPILE DATA, ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME?

95 RESPONSES TO THE SPECIAL THREAD FOR 50+YO BICYCLISTS, 176 50+ ers, STARTING TO COMPILE DATA, ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME?

We have collected reams of data. I think it would make an interesting article. Anyone like to join me in this effort?

My Bikes
    3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

data compilation

Tell me what you have in mind. I'd like to help if I can.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, Denver.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We likely have 300+ responders (I haven't counted lately) to the Special Thread for 50+ Bicyclists, telling their bicycling story, and this is undoubtedly the largest compendium of information on 50+ riders that has ever existed.

I started the thread because I wanted new and returning 50+ bicyclists to have a chance to see the wide range of bicycling experiences that 50+'rs have. It was based on the premise that there were folks out there who visualized 50+ cyclists as riding primarily comfort bikes going two miles around the neighborhood. Also, we had a thread where it was posited that the perfect bike for a 50+'r WOULD be essentially a comfort-type bike, and I strongly disagreed. I felt that many 50+'rs were eventually going to want bikes such as the Specialized Sequoia - good looking bikes with relaxed geometry, or perhaps the 'bent. I also started the thread, Listing Of 50+ Bikes!, so folks could see the variety of bicycles which people rode, and which at one time I regularly summarized and kept current, but eventually gave that up as no one seemed to be reading it!

I wanted newer folks to realize others did, and they could have, varied and perhaps "loftier" goals or bicycling experiences. I have had several folks report that they have read the ENTIRE thread (which I haven't lately)!

Some thought I started it as a "rite of passage" or initiation to the 50+ forum. Not true in any way. It never even crossed my mind.

Actually, I never expected more than a couple of responses.

Unfortunately, a number of folks failed to give their ages at the time of posting, so a significant demographic is incomplete. I changed the questionnaire to ask for it twice, which did increase the response rate a bit. It seems some folks are a bit "touchy" about giving their age.

At one time I entertained the idea of summarizing this information for an article in some bicycling mag such as "Bicycling Magazine," which I felt at the time pretty much ignored the 50+ bicycler. Perhaps that has changed - I have seen one article about a bicycler near 90 or so. I generally don't much read BM any more as it seems I have read every article possible, and they sort of just keep repeating. Also, I am turned off by articles with "numbers" - i.e., 8 ways to improve your strength, 12 ways to keep your bicycle tuned up, 10 steps to a successful century, etc., etc. Many of their articles are like this.

But, I digress.

I had another goal, which is dispelling the seemingly common belief amongst many "fitness" folks that exercise for those over 50 should be gentle activities in some large room with a svelte 20 something showing us old folks how to lift a 10 pound weight or step up and down on a stair-stepper, or roll a ball around our body (true), etc. Ugh!

I still believe there is a wealth of information in the stories folks have told about their 50+ bicycling, and it would be interesting to capture it - even in a non-statistical, anecdotal manner.

So, that was my plan in October of 2004. My life has changed considerably, and I don't currently have the time, nor particularly the interest.

But, hey, maybe there is someone out there looking for a project over the long winter??
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-12-07 at 01:38 PM.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in need of any winter-time projects, but I did add my info today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox: I just browsed though the "Special Thread for 50+ Bicyclist" thread, and have to tell you. there's enough information/data there for at least a half-dozen articles in the typical cycling magazine. Just the single question, "What kind of bikes..." could be of major interest to many folks, including bike shop owners. I'm working on teaching a new class at the university next semester that is giving me fits, but I'll have to give this some thought. There is some real potential in your idea. I mean just the biking history of this group is quite interesting.... I could see developing an article (which I know you despise) such as the 10 Things Thirty-Something Riders Should Do to Keep Riding into Their Retirment Years. This is rich stuff.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    DnvrFox: I just browsed though the "Special Thread for 50+ Bicyclist" thread, and have to tell you. there's enough information/data there for at least a half-dozen articles in the typical cycling magazine. Just the single question, "What kind of bikes..." could be of major interest to many folks, including bike shop owners. I'm working on teaching a new class at the university next semester that is giving me fits, but I'll have to give this some thought. There is some real potential in your idea. I mean just the biking history of this group is quite interesting.... I could see developing an article (which I know you despise) such as the 10 Things Thirty-Something Riders Should Do to Keep Riding into Their Retirment Years. This is rich stuff.
    Here is a link to a report which was completed by a graduate student working on her MA in Business (or whatever), under my direct supervision.

http://members.aol.com/padcoweb/survey.htm

I and some other folks developed an extensive 59 question survey. There were 239 responses. We were deluged with the info, and I arranged with the Unversity of Colorado to have the report written by the grad student.

I developed a database for her, and she analyzed each response (both open-ended and multiple choice), categorized it, evaluated it, and wrote the report, which was QUITE controversial in the Colorado disability services arena, and the report made a tremendous impact. This took her from April almost to August of this year.

This was not inferential statistics, but we used descriptive stats. The ACTUAL report which she submitted to her MA advisor has all the charts at the end and contains some recommendations and a slight changes on some of the descriptive stats, so it met a bit more rigorously some of the requirements of her MA program. That is available if anyone wants it. I preferred this version for distribution to the public, and it was widely distributed.

This bicycle information would be fertile ground for a graduate student looking for a project.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-12-07 at 01:34 PM.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    95 RESPONSES TO THE SPECIAL THREAD FOR 50+YO BICYCLISTS, 176 50+ ers, STARTING TO COMPILE DATA, ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME?

We have collected reams of data. I think it would make an interesting article. Anyone like to join me in this effort?
    OK. What does "join me" mean? In other words, how much work need I do? :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    OK. What does "join me" mean? In other words, how much work need I do? :-)
    It would be a MAJOR project involving building a database with the info from each of the 7 questions, categorizing each response, organizing the results, developing "reports" using a variety of cross references, i.e., "age" vs "mileage per year" or whatever, and pulling an article or various articles from all of the compiled data and then writing it in an interesting magazine-like way.

Here is the entry form for a database I developed for the report mentioned above. It would be something similar to this, only a lot simpler. Much of this is done by cutting and pasting the various discrete responses into the database entry form. It is a bit difficult because some percentage of folks didn't give their age, and some did not follow the format in entering their responses, or respond to every question, or responded to questions that were not asked. But all of that can be handled one way or another.

Here are some of the reports which we ran offf of this database. Actually, while not shown, these reports were run for each of the age classifications and county classifications, etc. In total, there were about 150 retrieve specifications for each of the 8 reports.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-13-07 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears we have no takers for this project! Hmmm!

It really would be a great master's or senior project for a college student! Particularly one majoring in PE, recreation or exercise phsiology!

If I get a few moments, I will email some local colleges. Anyone else able to do that?

I also posted info about the potential project in a couple of forums.

Master's or Senior Project for someone majoring in exercise physiology, recreation or PE?

We have been systematically collecting a mass of data in the 50+ forum for 3 years now. Analyzing this data and putting it into a systematic, usable form would be a great senior project or master's project for a college student.

Help is available in how to attack this mass of data. I recently was the supervisor to a graduate student (Masters) doing exactly the above on another set of data - and she got an "A" on her project.

There are several magazine/journal articles in the data. You could be "published"

Please see the thread:

95 RESPONSES, 176 50+ ers, STARTING TO COMPILE DATA, ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME?

and the thread:

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

If interested, contact me at:

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-14-07 at 06:42 AM.