Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Lucille
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extra stuff beside your names

I'm curious, a lot of y'all have extra stuff next to your names, there look to be stars of various colors and numbers, something that looks like a bird, something else that looks to be maybe a t shirt. What do all these things mean?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click on a star or shirt and I think you'll find that they designate paid subscriptions.
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pretty good summary:

Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Red Star = Contributing member in a very OG way.
    Yellow Jersey = Titanium level
    Blue Star = Moderator
    3 Blue Stars = Administrator
    Eagle = Sheldon Brown Memorial / Service Award
    Username in red = user online and not in stealth mode / invisible
    Username in black = user offline or in stealth / invisible / lurking mode
    Username swirling around in rainbow colors = you need to stop taking whatever you are taking.
    Sheldon's Eagle is also known as Igor. And I'm not sure what the OG means there, but basically back in the days of yore we didn't have any yellow jerseys to spare. Red stars were used instead.
    Last edited by Juha; 01-22-11 at 07:29 AM.
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha View Post

Sheldon's Eagle is also known as Igor. And I'm not sure what the OG means there, but basically back in the days of yore we didn't have any yellow jerseys to spare. Red stars were used instead.
    As I recall - and that is always in doubt at age 71 - when the forum got started, Joe charged no $$ and there were no ads. It was purely a forum of love. One day he felt he could not pay the server bill - ran out of money. So, a bunch of us contributed money to "the cause." When the forum finally had paid memberships, those of us that had voluntarily contributed way back when were honored with lifetime memberships and a "red star." As paid memberships were instituted, red stars were awarded to those who paid the small (maybe $30) 33 year membership. When the forum became commercial, I believe that when Joe sold it, we were grandfathered in by the agreement of the sale, but I am not sure about that. Well, actually, I am not SURE any more about much of anything!!

Lucille
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is BF corporate owned now?
    Thanks for the explanations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, it is my understanding that paid memberships lose all the ads. At least, I never see any ads unless I log out and view the forum as a visitor.

My Bikes
    See signature
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question, Lucille, and welcome aboard. I've been following some of your posts about setting up your bike. At this rate you'll hit the 50-post requirement really soon, then you can PM folks. It took me a long time to get to 50 - I joined in 2003! LOL
    2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 19?? Roberts Audax

Lucille
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horatio,
    I'm actually kinda shy in person, but I think all the helpful people here have helped me feel ok about asking stuff. And of course, once I found out y'all like pie it was like coming home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    As I recall - and that is always in doubt at age 71 - when the forum got started, Joe charged no $$ and there were no ads. It was purely a forum of love. One day he felt he could not pay the server bill - ran out of money. So, a bunch of us contributed money to "the cause." When the forum finally had paid memberships, those of us that had voluntarily contributed way back when were honored with lifetime memberships and a "red star." As paid memberships were instituted, red stars were awarded to those who paid the small (maybe $30) 33 year membership. When the forum became commercial, I believe that when Joe sold it, we were grandfathered in by the agreement of the sale, but I am not sure about that. Well, actually, I am not SURE any more about much of anything!!
    I, who get so much out of BF, want to thank you Dnvr, for contributing $$ way back when to keep the forum going until it became what it is today. It sure has brought me many smiles
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

My Bikes
    Felt F80, Trek 730, Raleigh M40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed you location as 'Texas', what part are you from?

I probably missed it in the introductions section because there are just too many new ones to open every one of them to see where people are from. Maybe that should be a requirement in the intro threads. I wonder if it could be set up like a fill in the blank page with drop-downs that people have to click on to move to the next step of posting a message.

They could use drop-downs like this:

State/Province:
    City:

each of which would end up in the title line and would be required before the poster could move on to finish their posting.

OK, sorry for the hi-jack but that is sort of a pet peeve of mine in intro threads on websites and you have to open everyone of them to find people in your area. But if the title lines required the original poster's location, it would make spotting local (potential riding partners) much easier.
    Last edited by cruisintx; 01-22-11 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fingers hit the wrong keys -- bad fingers
    Primary rides:

2000 BMW R1200C
    2000 BMW R1100RT
    1979 BMW R80S

1996 TREK 730 hybrid 21 spd
    2005 FELT F80 road 27 spd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisintx View Post
    I just noticed you location as 'Texas', what part are you from?

I probably missed it in the introductions section because there are just too many new ones to open every one of them to see where people are from. Maybe that should be a requirement in the intro threads. I wonder if it could be set up like a fill in the blank page with drop-downs that people have to click on to move to the next step of posting a message.

They could use drop-downs like this:

State/Province:
    City:

each of which would end up in the title line and would be required before the poster could move on to finish their posting.

OK, sorry for the hi-jack but that is sort of a pet peeve of mine in intro threads on websites and you have to open everyone of them to find people in your area. But if the title lines required the original poster's location, it would make spotting local (potential riding partners) much easier.
    There are regional sub-forums where you can find "locals" who are interested in sharing local issues and the like. I agree. I would love to have everyone have near their avatar their location - where it says "location " - but some do not feel predisposed to let us know where they are, which makes for a bit of confusion when someone posts such things a

"It is 25 below zero here" - and you haven't a clue where "here" is.

But, folks could just as easily place strange or incorrect city (and even state) names under the system you suggest.

Lucille
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live just south of Houston. But I'm not yet a candidate to go riding with, I anticipate that it might take a few weeks for my muscles to quit screaming in agony after my first good ride, lol.
    I'm thinking that people can put in their location, and if they don't maybe they want to not publish it?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    There are regional sub-forums . . . .
    . . . .But, folks could just as easily place strange or incorrect city (and even state) names under the system you suggest.
    I suppose that's true even if the drop down list contained only real locations, they could still choose something other than where they actually are: but why would anyone do that? I guess I'm just too used to Texas hospitality standards where most folks are open and honest.
    Primary rides:

2000 BMW R1200C
    2000 BMW R1100RT
    1979 BMW R80S

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
    I live just south of Houston. But I'm not yet a candidate to go riding with, I anticipate that it might take a few weeks for my muscles to quit screaming in agony after my first good ride, lol.
    I'm thinking that people can put in their location, and if they don't maybe they want to not publish it?
    Houston eh, not likely I'll ever get that far from home (about 600 miles from Fritch) for a bike ride. Oh well, good to see other Texans on board.
    Primary rides:

2000 BMW R1200C
    2000 BMW R1100RT
    1979 BMW R80S

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha View Post

Wasn't there a red lantern, or did he get left behind?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare Feet View Post
    I, who get so much out of BF, want to thank you Dnvr, for contributing $$ way back when to keep the forum going until it became what it is today. It sure has brought me many smiles
    FYI - DnvrFox is the founder of the "Fifty Plus 50+" forum, as well as other good deeds at Bike Forums.

My Bikes
    See signature
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
    But I'm not yet a candidate to go riding with, I anticipate that it might take a few weeks for my muscles to quit screaming in agony after my first good ride, lol.
    Reminds me of my "reintroduction" to cycling when in grad school. My neighbor convinced me to invest in a decent road bike. Then he took me on a 3-mile ride. Thought I was gonna die! I was a 3-pack-a-day chain smoker just a few months before that epic ride! Now my wife thinks I'm superman when I ride 30+ miles. lol

Hang in there. You'll be pushing your limits in no time.
    2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 19?? Roberts Audax