Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for tinkering

Not getting much riding in right now so I have been looking at the bikes. Or rather two of them. I only went road 4 years ago after many years of Mountain biking and that first bike was a lowly OCR3. Not a bad bike and not the best I could have got at the time but I did not want to invest a great deal on money into something I was not too sure about.Took a full year before I was convinced that road was worth doing so a "Big" investment in a decent bike.

B2.jpgBoreas Ignis

Race geometry Lightweight Aluminium with mainly Ultegra running gear and a shade over 15lbs. . This is basically how the bike came and other than a few minor adjustments and addition of the Garmin and Mini-Morph pump and the wedge under the saddle- is how it is run today. What a difference from the OCR and it rode well and was comfortable. Whats more it goes uphills which is just aswell with the South Downs being just 6 miles from home. (South Downs--A chalk ridge that runs along the South Coast of England.) The hills may only be a max of 800 ft high but they are frequent and around 12 to 15% gradient.

Wasn't long though before I realised that the OCR was no longer a bike I enjoyed riding so 6 months later and a custom build on a Giant TCR-C frame.

B1.jpg Giant TCR-C

Downgrade a bit to 105 running gear with Aksium wheels. First ride out and a bit of a shock. This was not the same as the TCR that I had test ridden earlier in the year. It took some time to get it to handle well but it turned into a decent bike. Couple of changes came about and the Aksiums have gone and been replaced with handbuilt wheels. The Double crank has been replaced with a triple and the cassette is now a 12/25. Biggest change has come about on the bar height. Boreas has a long stretched out position and the bars are 4" below the saddle. Seems to suit my aging back as it takes Vertical weight off the spine and seems to assist it on the longer rides. I took a spacer out on the TCR last autumn and the bike is different. Still goes uphills but it now appears to have more speed behind it. That low down position seems to put me into "Race" mode and I want to go. May be just mental effect but it works.

B7.jpg TCR-C as currently set up (Will have to cut the Stem shortly)

Been checking the bikes over in the last couple of weeks and silly bits of tinkering. All I need now is some decent weather and I will find out if The bikes still work and if they are still fitting my aging body. And with the little riding I have done recently- that body seems to be aging fast.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "silly bits of tinkering". I can identify with that.

I just completed some cable rerouting on my Screamer recumbent tandem and on my Enduro SWB recumbent. Yesterday I ordered a set of Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers for a bike that I didn't even ride last year (but have dearly enjoyed in the past).

Future projects include retrieving the tandem fork and wheelset that I loaned to a friend so that I can reassemble my Santana and building a light weight (1300 g) wheelset for my son's new road bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good time of year to shave some weight off the bike (and my bod), and to make minor improvements to the bike (and my bod).

I like to hit the road in the spring with the bike (and my bod) ready to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to tinker with my bikes almost constantly, and if they're all assembled and in good working order I get the itch to build a new one just to have something to tinker with. It's a vicious cycle... The pun was unavoidable.
    Enjoy the ride.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next Friday night Mrs. Grouch and I are having our triplett 10 year old grandsons for a sleepover. On Saturday morning two of the boys have a basketbll game. I'm going to give the third boy the option of watching his brothers' basketball game or helping me install a new set of brakes on my old beater bike. He really likes mechanical things so I wonder which he'll choose.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely!! For us in the snow belt this is the time of year to go over our bikes with a fine tooth comb. Check every single bolt screw and nut for tightness. It is amazing how many have got loose during a year of riding. And the main thing is finding them now may keep you from being stranded next summer. At the very least it might keep you from trying to find a very strange type of bolt.

BTW no biking for me---------I just blew 8 inches of global warming off my drive and side walks this morning.

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ... time for new sealant in the tubeless wheels ... an afternoon picking out bits of latex and maybe a Stan's Alien ...
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com