Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT, XC skating is hard !

Skated both saturday and today, I had forgotten how tough a workout a longer skate session is. The snow wasn't fast and that makes it even harder especially uphill. If I can pace myself well (not go too hard) I think it is a great way to build stamina for next summers cycling.
    Brought my Edge 705 today:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64779417
    Last edited by plodderslusk; 01-23-11 at 10:22 AM.

My Bikes
    Klein Carbon Q 2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet your right! I find skating harder than cycling.

My Bikes
    Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plodderslusk wrote:
    Skated both saturday and today, I had forgotten how tough a workout a longer skate session is.
    Yes, skating is quite a workout.... but even more fun at 9,500ft / 2900m

I skated 20km Thursday at Gold Run Nordic in Breckenridge (9,500ft) .... My 33rd ski
    day this season. Breckenridge has received over 300in / 760cm of snow so far this season.

Today (Friday), the temperature in Denver (5,500ft / 1675m) is going to be 60F /15.5C so I'm driving an hour down for an afternoon of cycling and no snow, and then it's back to skiing on Saturday. Tom

As nice as the weather is, it's still too early for kayaking

Here's a pic from Friday's ride. Guess I was wrong about no kayaking, especially considering that this lake was frozen over last week. I'll have to add paddling to next weeks schedule, weather permitting.

Red Rocks.... a few miles from the lake
    Last edited by werks; 01-28-11 at 08:37 PM.
    Specialized TriCross Comp
    Specialized XC Comp (2ea)
    Specialized RockHopper (take-apart)
    Cannondale ST 400
    Cannondale M900
    Jamis Dakota (take-apart)
    Jamis Dakota
    Trek T900 Tandem

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused. Is XC skating the same thing as cross country skiing? It does look hard, but I think I would really enjoy it if I lived somewhere with the conditions for it. The scenery must be spectacular!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 1400, Trek 6500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just plain cruel! I'll be skiing backwoods and MTN bike on studded tires in 20F if I am lucky. But hey, snow is good.

Enjoy,

Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question on skating, does the snow have to be groomed for you to be able to skate? Or can you do it on ungroomed, untracked, fresh snow?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'm confused. Is XC skating the same thing as cross country skiing? It does look hard, but I think I would really enjoy it if I lived somewhere with the conditions for it. The scenery must be spectacular!
    XC ski skating - imagine skating around an ice ring with ice skates using long strokes - or roller blading in the summer.

Put on some special skis and use a groomed trail and it is gorgeous to watch. I have never done it, but get passed by the ski skaters when I XC skiing in places like Fraseer Nordic Center.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Below is a pic of a groomed trail for freestyle / skating on the left and machined tracks for classis / diagonal stride on the right. Both are forms of cross country skiing. Classic skiing is not limited to the track, as it's the basis of backcountry skiing.

The skis and boots for each style are a bit different, and classic skis are waxed in the center section for grip and the tips/ tails are waxed for glide. Skate skis are waxed along their entire length for glide as no kicker wax is required since the inside edge of the skate skis provide the kick.

There are several techniques used for skating, as well as classic. The techniques used depend on the conditions enountered such as climbing, descending, and snow conditions. Below is a short video showing a skating competitor climbing using 3 techniques .... V2 , V1, and V2 alternate once over the top. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duA2q2s2-38&NR=1

Frisco Nordic Center

Skating can be done year round by using rollerskis. Rollerskis for classic are similar, but are ratcheted to provide kick.
    Here's a good rollerski skate video ... Good music to boot ! He starts with V2 ( pole with every kick), then to
    V2 alternate ( Pole every other kick which is the most commonly used technique), and then to double poling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0yHq...eature=related

Multi-tasking at Bear Creek Lake Park
    Last edited by werks; 01-28-11 at 12:43 PM.
    Specialized TriCross Comp
    Specialized XC Comp (2ea)
    Specialized RockHopper (take-apart)
    Cannondale ST 400
    Cannondale M900
    Jamis Dakota (take-apart)
    Jamis Dakota
    Trek T900 Tandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, skate skiing is hard. As is classic skiing, if you do it right. World class XC ski racers are widely considered to be the fittest athletes on earth, and with good reason. Go to youtube and do a search on World Cup XC - it will blow you away.

SP
    Bend, OR