Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 or Week of Training Camp??? Help me make the call...

Well, earlier, for Christmas, I was given a hall pass to travel out west again to ride PAC Tour sometime in March or April of this year. Before deciding what week to ride, my wife was diagnosed with torn right and left tendons on her elbows, requiring surgery to repair both. The process requires about 6 weeks total from surgery to full recovery, and the plan is to do them back to back. Surgery #1 was last Friday. As a result, my home responsibilities have jumped pretty dramatically, especially acting as Mr. Mom & Dad to our twin girls (almost 15). Wife still thinks I can go in April, but I'm a little doubtful.

The complication arises due to an offer by one of the LBS shops I patronize. One of the owners "volunteered" to put me in a new Merckx EMX 5 frame at a pretty good price. I can likely put N+1 together for close to the same all in cost as the trip. The Boss has given it the green light for me to go either way.

Opinions?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be an easy choice for me, even without the unexpected turn of events. But you're not me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but the one thing I picked up on was

"especially acting as Mr. Mom & Dad to our twin girls (almost 15)."

The other choice though is difficult- but if that training camp is what you want--Retrain the Twins to look after Mom and themselves to make certain you have the time to do it with a clear conscience.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming that your "family issues" work out, I'd go for the training camp every time - the experience would far outweigh any hardware acquisition. But that's just me. Rides > bikes.

SP
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should take that money and treat your wife to a nice vacation. Eat a lot, get fat, and then maybe I could finish within an hour of you on the next mountain century.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was me, I would...

...Stay home and train during the week in addition to your normal routine. Take one day off a week to ride hard for 5 hours and then help at home during the week as needed.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I think you should take that money and treat your wife to a nice vacation. Eat a lot, get fat, and then maybe I could finish within an hour of you on the next mountain century.
    I could not agree more. When life serves up challenges to us, we have to answer them in the best interests of all affected. You have a great family, and they want you to be happy, but it's you that has to decide what is best for the entire family. There will always be time to train, places to go, and money to buy N+1. Time with family won't be forever though.

Having said that, if you were not facing family matters at hand, I would take the N+1 path without thinking twice. But everyone will have a preference.
    Last edited by NealH; 01-25-11 at 05:25 PM.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would your rather OWN or DO? Most people regret about the things they didn't do, not about the things they never owned.

Sorry to go philosophical. It would be an easy decision for me but, as my friend the BluesDawg said, you ain't me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both, life is short.
    http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_14902.gif

*Common sense clearly isn't common*

Lucille
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this might be heresy here. But, your bicycle is not your partner in life. Your wife will remember and be grateful that you helped with the parenting and helped her when she was down and out with the surgery aftermath, youngsters can be a handful. When she is better, see what your options are at that time.
    Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que l' esprits prepares. Louis Pasteur

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take your twin daughters for a short vacation over spring break and get out of mom's hair for awhile. She'll appreciate the break.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With me, family - in all its dimensions - comes first, way ahead of anything else. I know that wasn't the question you asked, but that would be my answer. But, as BD and others have said, I ain't you!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all of you who were kind enough to opine, Thanks! I hoped it was clear by the "...but I have my doubts." comment, that I'm not gunned up to leave my family high and dry. My first choice (and intention) would be to have the "experience" of training camp again, and had the surgery and resulting need to change and adapt occur, the choice would have already been made. The N+1 opportunity is only recent, and had I not had to postpone / cancel my plans, I'd never even considered another bike. In 2008, the financial crisis caused me to cancel a scheduled trip to PAC for the first time. It's not like I haven't been here before. Keep those cards & letters coming, still pondering here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww, too bad about your wife. Best wishes to her.

Are you able to hold off making the PAC Tour decision for another week or two? See how your wife's recovery is progressing from the first surgery. Then you and she will have a general idea of how long you'll need to be around after the second surgery. She will need to let you know whether she thinks she can manage without you or not. Six weeks post-op is a long time, so barring complications, I think mid-April should be do-able. I hope it works out for you.

There will always be a tempting "bargain" somewhere, but do you really want to buy when you're not ready?
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - time to bring everyone up to speed. Surgery was successful, the wife has been discharged from doctor's care.She's gotten enough relief that we may not have to surgically address the left elbow!

Spring break will be spent seeing friends and visiting around the Atlanta area, so the daughters are happy and looking forward to the trip.

Finally, no PAC tour this year, no Merckx. After looking very hard at the geometry, I decided that it wasn't the right choice, head tube too short. I've been fitted before, and the recommended minimum for me is 14 cm. My LBS guy who has since ridden the Merckx frame agreed that it would have been too short for me, he races (and is 20 yrs younger) finds it to be just tall enough for him.

After research (including test rides) and some recommendations from folks (BikeWNC amongnst them), I've decided to go this way:
    Specialized_SW_Roubaix_SL_2011_Frameset.jpg
    Shop should have it mid-week next and we'll do the build out then.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
    I realize this might be heresy here. But, your bicycle is not your partner in life. Your wife will remember and be grateful that you helped with the parenting and helped her when she was down and out with the surgery aftermath, youngsters can be a handful. When she is better, see what your options are at that time.
    Otherwise, it might be (all together now) "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille .... " Sorry, you have three "L"s!

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so you're doing a BETTER N+1, and taking care of the family.

I like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll like the bike. You test rode it, so I guess it fit well and felt good too. I can say that the longer wheelbase will really help on the long rides you like to do. Late in the ride you will feel less tired from not having to stay on top of a shorter wheelbase bike. There is something effortless about the way the Roubaix rides and that really pays dividends late in a ride.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB