Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old fart needs bike computer

I am getting a new bike, I hope. If it ever gets done, anyway.

I would like to get a computer for it. I need one with large numbers, wireless would be nice. I am torn between simplicity and going hi tech (HRM/Garmin/whatever).

I usually pick basic, but, you never know.

Is there something you really like?
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basic with large numbers -- how about Planet Bike Protege 9.0?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started using the Garmin Edge 500. For me it's so much better than any model of the Cateyes that I have used in the past. I have 4 bikes and can move it from one bike to the other. Costs more, but for me well worth the price.
    It's a good day to ride.
    --------------------------
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a good expensive computer and I also had a heart monitor. I wanted cadence aswell so when the Heart monitor started playing up- I got a Garmin 305. Everything on one display. Can be pretty small though but The garmin can be set up for two bikes. I set one up with everything I wanted to record and the other I set up displaying just two things Current speed and HR. Larger display with just 2 things showing and If I want to look at the other items- I change to the other display and put my reading glasses on.

The garmin also gives me altimeter and Grade of slope so it does more than the "Expensive" computers have ever given me. It is completely wireless with minimal set up required. Now I have it though- I rarely use the cadence reading.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had 2 or 3 Proteges. They last a year or two and then die.
    Which isn't a problem for me, I guess I am just tired of them.

The garmin Edge products sound great. But what I would want is one of the ones with
    maps. Very pricey. The cheaper ones get very mixed reviews at Amazon.

I haven't tried a Protege wireless. This is a new bike year, getting an expensive
    GPS will have to wait. Thanks.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a Garmin Edge 205 for $99 from another bikeforums member.

It is simplicity and high-tech. It's simple because you just put it on your stem or handlebars, and you don' have to connect a sensor or spoke magnet.

I'm different than many here, because I just don't like attaching stuff to the bicycle or to me, so I do cadence and heart rate the old fashioned way (count and divide). I don't care about elevation during the ride, and the software corrects the elevation after the data is uploaded.

I enjoy having the route graphs and data, (like this) and a record of all my workouts. I might get bored with that in the future.

Calendar.jpg

The only disadvantages are that it needs to be recharged between rides, and the documentation is really, really bad. I pretty much had to figure out how to use it via experimentation and asking questions online.

Other than that, highly recommended.

I almost went with the Forerunner 305, which you can wear on your wrist, but the edge is better for cycling, my main activity.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Cateye, because they last for me and have better water resistance than any other brand I've used. Cadence is a nifty feature, make sure your cadence is high enough and knee problems drop. Some like wireless because it's easy to set up, I like wired because you have half (or a third) as many batteries, and there's much less interference (like from flashing LED lights, or HRMs).

Put it all together, and I'll take a Cateye Astrale.

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with my Garmin 305. I can't see little numbers or print very well when they are close up, but I can see the small numbers on my Garmin. I have one screen set up with 5 data points so I can easily read heart rate. The other screen is set up with 6 data points.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another approach to the problem for this forum. Check out the bifocal sunglasses on www.safetyglassesusa.com I've got several pair, and they are dirt cheap. I got dark grey, amber, and clear. Seveal pair of each. I have them in both cars and a few of each in the biking box. Night, day, overcast. I can see my Garmin no matter how small.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2008 Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctyler View Post
    I've started using the Garmin Edge 500. For me it's so much better than any model of the Cateyes that I have used in the past. I have 4 bikes and can move it from one bike to the other. Costs more, but for me well worth the price.
    +1

I've had mine for a couple of months and I love it.
    1999 Giant TCR 2T
    2009 Giant Cypress DX
    2008 Giant Sedona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cateye Micro Wireless. My wife has two, I have one, they have been pretty rugged for us. Rain, snow, heat, cold, they work fine. The only real issue is when we get close to a automatic door opener. Moderately priced, and easy to use. The down side is that you have two parts that each need batteries, but that is true for all wireless computers.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably be banned or worse for this, but I've been using a Bontrager Node2 for a while now, and it's been reliable, accurate, and easy to read. Speed, cadence, altitude, distance, HR, the whole works... I'd much prefer something like the Garmin Edge 500, but my bufget won't allow it.

-Bert

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    I like Cateye, because they last for me and have better water resistance than any other brand I've used. Cadence is a nifty feature, make sure your cadence is high enough and knee problems drop. Some like wireless because it's easy to set up, I like wired because you have half (or a third) as many batteries, and there's much less interference (like from flashing LED lights, or HRMs).

Put it all together, and I'll take a Cateye Astrale.
    +1
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will agree with the Garmin Forerunner 305 especially if you are into running or hiking etc as it has a running mode too. It's fully downloadable, very easy to use and mine has been completely trouble free for years. It recently met it's demise when it came off bar mount while ridding and got run over by an suv. They are inexpensive work great. I have ordered a new Garmin 800 thanks to my wife and my birthday coming up. If you decide to get one I have the accesories for the cadence and bar mount. Just put a rubber band around it when on the bar mount so you don't loose it like I did. Good luck
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my edge so much that I told my daughter I'd get her a forerunner for her birthday if she wants (she does running and triathlons). But, she has an android phone with GPS, so she's looking into whether an app for that would work.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Fred at large
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, IMO a bike computer is there to record miles and not much more than that is needed for most riders. It isn't really worth spending extra bucks for a high tech gadget to do this basic function although wireless is certainly cleaner looking and less risky to that very thin wire from the sensor to the computer. The downside is the extra battery required and sometimes interference if you run an LED headlight at night.

For some riders, cadence, heart rate, pulmonary zones, miles, trip, avg speed, auto-start/stop, dual lap timers, altitude, GPS and all the other gizmos make sense. But for most, "How many miles did I ride today?" is enough. Me, I can average my own speed and don't really care to know that I was in zone 5 on every climb with a heartrate of 190 for 3.6 minutes yada yada yada... It is enough for me to know that I was out there keeping fit and enjoying myself. YMMV.
    I am Fred, hear me slurp my Grande Mocha.

2006 60cm Orbea Orca with 2009 Rival
    1985 55cm Nishiki lugged steel with Shimano parts and Rigida wheels (C&V for sale)

1987 Haro Extreme (undermount rear brake) mtn bike with Shimano LX and Rock Shox fork
    2009 Kona Hei-Hei 2-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think NealH here has a Garmin 500 that he might want to sell. He is thinking of moving to the 800. I have the 800 and while I can't see using the mapping feature, I generally know where I'm going, I like the display and the interface with my powermeter. Also, the elevation is much more accurate with the barometric equipped units like the 500 and 800. The Forerunner 305 uses much less accurate gps based data for elevation. It's pretty much useless for anything more than conversation. Since I climb on every ride, keeping up with that data is important to me.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer old git to old fart

I've had good luck using my cheapo Sigma digital speedo. It was originally on my Cannondale but last year I switched it to my Triumph due to it's 150mph max readout.

The small analog speedo on my Triumph was hard to read while at speed, but the digital Sigma corrects this. It's pretty basic, but all I need is speed and distance. Plus, It's more accurate than the Triumph OEM speedo.

When cycling, nordic skiing, or kayaking, I'd rather not have a computer, just a watch. I know my cadence, and more importantly my
    effort level.
    Only 112mph ... a slow day

Magnet and sensor setup....

Multi-Tasking with one computer ...
    Last edited by werks; 01-30-11 at 07:32 AM.
    Specialized TriCross Comp
    Specialized XC Comp (2ea)
    Specialized RockHopper (take-apart)
    Cannondale ST 400
    Cannondale M900
    Jamis Dakota (take-apart)
    Jamis Dakota
    Trek T900 Tandem

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it depends. It can be fun to have a computer with all the possible bells and whistles. It gives you something to monkey with whilst you are riding.

I don't really need a gps because I almost always know where I am and if not I can find my way home by back tracking, if worst comes to worst.

So I have the cheapest wireless computer I can find - no wires and average speed, trip distance, current speed and MAX speed maybe a few other things I don't pay attention to.

You can get the cheap one and see if you have a yen for more.

If you are directionally challenged a gps computer could be a god send. I wonder if you can download maps onto a computer and I bet you can. Having the route and the turns already in it would be nice if you don't know your route already.

Also, a garmen can give you % grade, feet of climbing and other stuff if you like keeping track of your rides in excrutiating detail.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another advantage I discovered of the GPS unit is that it gives you a detailed record of your rides.

My Bikes
    1987 Trek 400 Elance (2 of them), 1988 Trek 520, 1986 Raleigh Marathon, 1970's era Browning III road bike, 1990 Trek 1100, 1996 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cycling computers on the cheap, I would recommend the Bell/Schwinn wired versions (they are basically the same). There is a $12 version and a $20 version available at most major department stores, the difference being that the $20 version will give you ambient temperature, estimated calories and fat calories burned. I have one of these on several of my bikes, and they've lasted me several thousand miles. The only problem I've ever had is one of the buttons seizing up and becoming hard to push (this could be just because I'm hard on electronics and bump them a lot when working on the bike), and the computer resetting on rare occasions (usually when the battery is low). I've ridden some pretty heavy rain and not had any problems from water getting in, though I've probably don't ride in the rain as often as some of the posters on this forum.

The Cateye Astrale is a little higher in cost, but it gives you pedalling cadence, which is good if you're in a hilly area and need help perfecting the timing of your shifting.

I do NOT recommend the Bell Wireless Speedometer, mine suddenly quit working only after a few hundred miles of riding. When it did work, It could have been the battery on the bottom sensor that quit working, I never checked it; even if this is the case, the battery should last more than a few hundred miles (in my opinion; I refuse to buy 20-30 batteries per year for a computer). I found that there were signals in the ambient environment that would cause it to go haywire, for example, if my bike got near the sensors that are placed under the road surface at stoplights, it would start registering a very fast speed even though the bike was standing still. I'm not sure if other brands of wireless computers pick up this kind of interference from the environment, but it would be something that I would research before buying one.
    Last edited by Jose Mandez; 01-30-11 at 09:20 AM.
    -Jose Mandez

"I want to matter. I want to count. When I hear the children sing, 'Jesus Loves Me,' I hope he does. I really hope he does."-Ben Haden
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem I've ever had is one of the buttons seizing up and becoming hard to push
    This happens on my watch every few months. Spray liberally with WD-40 while pushing the button repeatedly always fixes it.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Sigma, Ascent and a couple others, but have had best service from the Polar CS100 with HRM.
    polar.jpg
    But I am embarking on Garmin Edge 500 changeover right now and expect great things.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Another advantage I discovered of the GPS unit is that it gives you a detailed record of your rides.

I'm curious...what software produces that calendar?

Make a donation or just check out my blog. Every little bit counts!
    http://main.diabetes.org/goto/charlesmmorgan

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's part of the Garmin Connect web site (http://connect.garmin.com). Works quite well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast