Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pondering a road bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pondering a road bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 09:43 PM

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went the roadbike rout a couple of years ago and did not regret it. I bought a Specalized Sequoia which was a good decision. The only thing that I regretted was the Sora Brifters which are cumbersome to me (thumb toggle to shift down versus finger toggle) as others had 105 or higher. I eventually found some ultegras on ebay and changed them out and sold the soras on ebay. I am much happier now.
Old 03-02-11, 09:49 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Garilia
It's my understanding that the CR1 entry level carbon at Scott used to be their highend frame until the came out with the Addict. So kind of like DuraAce technology trickles down to Ultegra, so it goes with frames. Right now everything is just "mental ************" comparing specs and component names. Until I feel the bike under me on the road I won't know for sure how I'll like it.

I am thinking along the lines of spending more on the frame and less on the gruppo, and then if I'm dissatisfied with the gruppo (or more likely, when it breaks) I can replace/upgrade.

I have read some people on some forums bashing carbon frames, I know if I went with aluminum, I'd want a carbon fork at least.

The Scott comes with full Shimano 105 components, the Cannondale Supersix doesn't put a full 105 kit on their 105 level bike. The Mavic Aksium wheels are better than the wheels on the 105 Supersix as well.

We'll see

maybe I'll just go for platform pedals and sneakers, or a toe cage on the road bike. I'm not that fussy about the footwear/pedals yet, and I refuse to be a weight wienie over the pedals.
I think you will be very happy with a 105 gruppo. Mine served me well for about 10K mi and when the left shifter/brake broke it was replaced by Shimano via BikesDirect since it had a 2 yr warranty.

IMHO, get the best frame you can afford. Your approach was exactly what I did, focus on the frame and compromise on components. I like carbon but a really go ALU frame with a carbon fork and seat stays can be very comfortable. Each frame material has advantages and disadvantages. Proponents hype the pros and pan the disadvantages.

Don't get lost in the details; focus on your needs and your budget and get the best frame you can affort that meets your needs. And I REALLY recommend getting fitted BEFORE you pick a frame. Sounds silly, but a really good experienced fitter will guide you to the right geometry for your style and from there you can find the right (or closest) fitting frame.

Regarding pedals, platforms are fine to start, but they will label you as a "Fred." Not to worry, start out slow and build miles and endurance. However, road cycling is all about speed, distance, and endurance. "Clip-in" road pedals are designed to help you maximize all 3. Personally I like Speedplay, bu YMMV. Bottom line is they are all good, and like everything else they each have their proponents and bashers.

Happy Anniversary.
Old 03-02-11, 09:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... you can buy a frame that fits your geometry but you can't change your geometry to fit a frame.
Old 03-02-11, 10:27 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanknm
It's not about being a weight weenie but more about getting the best out of yourself with the bike.
Yes, bike shoes are expensive but they're better for your feet. You can use mountain shoes but it's vastly better to go with the more rigid road shoe with the wider platform. Some road shoe / cleat combinations are better for walking in than others so shop around.

Don't wear sneakers with platform pedals unless you feel like putting up with cramping feet.. (get out those old Florsheims or combat boots or something with a hard sole)
I used to ride 20 mile rides with sneakers in toe cages. I eventually went with a bike shoe as it was narrower and fit in the toe cage better, but I'm joking about putting platforms on my road bike.
Old 03-02-11, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride 20 mile rides with sneakers in toe cages. I eventually went with a bike shoe as it was narrower and fit in the toe cage better, but I'm joking about putting platforms on my road bike.
I got nailed once by foot cramps from wearing sneakers in toe clips when I was a teenager. Never again. I've used something with a rigid sole ever since.

Last fall I saw somebody on a brand new Cervelo S2 with toe clips. I did a double take when I saw that.
Old 03-02-11, 11:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last item. I hope you have some good gloves. The road buzz from a road bike (even with the good damping you get from a carbon fork) is going to be different from a MTB. I won't ride without gloves.
Old 03-02-11, 11:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last item. I hope you have some good gloves. The road buzz from a road bike (even with the good damping you get from a carbon fork) is going to be different from a MTB. I won't ride without gloves.
I have some Louis Garneau gloves and shorts.
Old 03-02-11, 11:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
Happy Anniversary.
Thanks Bob.

Your Immortal Pro is carbon right? I read all the debates about frame materials and carbon scares me a bit in terms of durability.
Old 03-03-11, 07:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard stories about problems with the early carbon frames but I've never heard about frame failures in carbon being any worse than any other material. All of the local LBS where I live have told me that over the last few years they've seen very very few failures in carbon frames.

Any frame, including steel will fail under the right circumstances. Most of the problems with CF comes from over torquing.

You obviously shouldn't leave your bike lying around in the sun and make sure that you store it in a place where the temperature doesn't go through extremes. In other words, keep it in inside, not in an unheated storage shed or garage. Where I live the temperature can be -10F or more in winter and 98F in summer so I keep mine in the basement. That's what all the guys at any LBS here tell you to do.
Old 03-03-11, 07:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In South Florida our temp. doesn't go to cold extremes. I don't have a basement, so my bikes usually stay in the garage. I don't know if my wife will let me keep the bike in the house. I might have to sacrifice a recliner or something to make room for a bike in the house, and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. Maybe if I mount it on the wall above my computer desk as usable art (it would certainly be light enough) she'd agree
Old 03-03-11, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fS...embedded#at=14

Watch this guy.

Keeping it in the garage is fine where you are.
Old 03-03-11, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meanwhile, I do plan to go to a shop like bobthib suggested and pay for a pro fit. I haven't ruled out an online purchase. In the $1.5-2k price range there's this:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...hamp_ti_10.htm

On paper the geometry of this bike and the Scott CR 1 are virtually identical. (Headtube length and angle, chainstay, standover...)

I grew up on steel, carbon does scare me a little, especially when you see people posting their carbon horror stories online, and in the last 12 hours on several bike forums, I've read people's complaints with Scott's customer service. But I do know you can never please everyone, and there's always disgruntled customers. Overall they seem to be a solid company (even though Ed Scott sold it to a Swiss company).

And the pondering continues
Old 03-03-11, 09:58 AM

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garilia after reading thru this thread I have to ask, have your needs changed? Early on you mentioned wanting a bike for mixed use and possibly using panniers occasionally. Other posters suggested a CX bike for those needs. A carbon (or alu) road bike is great but you won't be able to carry anything that won't fit in a seat/handlebar bag. For me the best situation is a CF road bike and a CX bike. Perhaps N+1 is the best strategy?
Old 03-03-11, 10:04 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before you decide to buy online, please have a serious talk with your LBS. I suspect they would much prefer to give you a great deal, than to see you go the online route. And some brands (e.g., I -think- Surly is one) can be bought by almost any dealer through distribution. We need to support our LBS' anytime we can, so they can support our sport, and so they'll be there when we need them.
Old 03-03-11, 10:09 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldride
Garilia after reading thru this thread I have to ask, have your needs changed? Early on you mentioned wanting a bike for mixed use and possibly using panniers occasionally. Other posters suggested a CX bike for those needs. A carbon (or alu) road bike is great but you won't be able to carry anything that won't fit in a seat/handlebar bag. For me the best situation is a CF road bike and a CX bike. Perhaps N+1 is the best strategy?
+ 1
Old 03-03-11, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 to what AzTallRider says. In addition, the LBS will perform the setup, and will go to bat for you if there are warranty issues. I have had excellent service from Landis Cyclery in Scottsdale.
Old 03-03-11, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldride
I have no NEEDS when it comes to another bike, it comes down to my DESIRES. That's why this is a Pondering thread. I'm asking questions, listening to feedback, asking more questions and thinking out loud. I read and post on 4 different bike related message boards (this one, twospoke.com, mtbr.com, and roadbikereview.com), as well as try and visit different LBS' and touch and feel the merchandise. These help me generate more thoughts and that usually leads to more questions.

I have already been able to double my budget from $1k to $2k, and should be able to pull the trigger on a purchase by the end of June/beginning of July.

I went through a similar thought process when I purchased my Motobecane Fantom 29 back in October 2010. I was wanting to start doing some trail riding (as I never really did any MTB riding before, but it seemed like something fun to try), and I was thinking I wanted something to do some light road riding. I initially was considering a hybrid/comfort bike and decided against that. Now as I've had my 29er out and about, I have decided I like it mostly as an off-road/trail bike and have bought knobbier tires, and have taken off the cyclocomputer and saddle bag. I have experimented with spd clipless and have decided I probably want a clipless/platform hybrid, but I'm still pondering that move. When riding my MTB I wear my bike shorts under nylon cargo pants, with a moisture wicking exercise shirt, SPD mtb shoes, my camelbak, sunglasses, helmet, and gloves. I carry any additional things I need in my Camelbak pack.

In a pinch, this could be a quick run to the grocery store for one or two items bike, but I doubt it, as I am configuring it more more trail use. We don't live in a real bike friendly part of the world. Broward County leads the state in bike related fatalities. As Outwest has pointed out in her thread, she's nervous about biking with cars, my wife is also a nurse and is nervous about me biking with cars. She doesn't like the notion of me riding a fully loaded bike on the street to go to the grocery store. I'm working on her slowly. The more times I go out riding and return safely, the better she feels.

Now as I analyze my bike desires, I realize I want more of a road warrior for really getting an aerobic workout outdoors. I'm thinking more seriously about an endurance style road bike, but I might decide to go back to the CX thought between now and June/July. Every piece of advice/feedback is appreciated as it helps me clarify my thinking.
Old 03-03-11, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Before you decide to buy online, please have a serious talk with your LBS. I suspect they would much prefer to give you a great deal, than to see you go the online route. And some brands (e.g., I -think- Surly is one) can be bought by almost any dealer through distribution. We need to support our LBS' anytime we can, so they can support our sport, and so they'll be there when we need them.
I'm open to buying from an LBS. Yesterday was the most positive LBS experience I've had since I started shopping for my MTB last year. It was a shop I had never been to before, and it was due to my interest in checking out Bianchis that drew me there.
Old 03-03-11, 11:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd stick with going to an LBS. I deal with 3 different ones (for different sorts of things) and I've always had a good experience with them.

Once you are ready, check on the availability wrt to make and model for a given size . Find out what size you are for a given model of bike. For me the best time was mid January- end of February for the bikes I was interested in. Depending on the make and model, there may not be a lot of selection in stock by the summer.
Some vendors can supply your LBS all year round some can't so check with them.
Old 03-03-11, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd stick with going to an LBS. I deal with 3 different ones (for different sorts of things) and I've always had a good experience with them.

Once you are ready, check on the availability wrt to make and model for a given size . Find out what size you are for a given model of bike. For me the best time was mid January- end of February for the bikes I was interested in. Depending on the make and model, there may not be a lot of selection in stock by the summer.
Some vendors can supply your LBS all year round some can't so check with them.
I'm all over the place on LBS'

I started a thread about those experiences here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...4-LBS-Shopping

Having a relationship with an LBS is not an essential issue for me. Making sure I get the best bike that meets my requirements and desires and fits into my budget is the most important thing to me.

Those of you that feel passionately about supporting your LBS, I applaud your passion and enthusiasm, but I don't share it. I care about the demise of LBS' less than I cared about the demise of independent booksellers, mom and pop grocery stores, and independent record stores. Most of my life I've been able to survive on and off my bikes without ever stepping foot in an LBS. In fact, I am the one in my family that does support them more than anyone else.

Meanwhile, the pondering continues. If a bike I like isn't available when my budget is ready, I will just have to wait.
Old 03-03-11, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Meanwhile, the pondering continues. If a bike I like isn't available when my budget is ready, I will just have to wait.
That's what I did. I started looking around last summer and waited until the 2011's came out.
Old 03-03-11, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will say that it was quite fun to straddle that Scott, and to pick it up with one hand.
Old 03-03-11, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait until you start climbing that first big hill.
Old 03-03-11, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait until you start climbing that first big hill.
I'll have to transport the bike to another state!
Old 03-03-11, 05:47 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I'll have to transport the bike to another state!
Try Claremont before you go too far. It ain't Alpe d'Huez but it's not your grandmother's Florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.