Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Where do you keep your bikes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 07:09 PM
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts

I got my 2-bike rack delivered today and set it up.
It was supposed to go in the back room but I kept on thinking that the dogs might run back there and jump up and topple the rack. Maybe I'm just ****zing and being overprotective of both the dogs and the bikes.
I ended up putting the bike rack in my bedroom where the ironing board used to be. I live in a tiny house so there isn't much spare real estate for bike rack setup.

Where do you put your bikes?
Old 01-27-11, 07:24 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the storage shed behind my house. I suppose there is technically room in the house, but I don't need more stuff to fall over...
Old 01-27-11, 07:28 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Bikes go in the garage. My commuter bike sits in front of my van and the rest are hung over my wife's car (our road bikes are easy-access over the hood, the MTBs require moving the car). Plus my wife keeps a grocery-getter in her mom's garage (she spends 5+ hours a day at her mom's caring for her and likes to run errands on the bike to clear her mind).
Old 01-27-11, 07:44 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
< tsl trots out his living room pic again... >

Those are the Locking Bike Trac, $80 each from Saris. You need to order them from an LBS that has a direct account with Saris. They are not available through standard distribution (Read: QBP).

I use the standard, non-locking Bike Trac at work. It is available through QBP and so can be ordered by any LBS at $40 each.

Yes, this is just the reverse of the way most people do it. I lock the bikes at home in my living room, but it's not locked at work.
Old 01-27-11, 07:50 PM
Lucille

Tsl that is really neat and you have beautiful bikes.
Old 01-27-11, 07:56 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
Tsl that is really neat and you have beautiful bikes.
Thanks. I'll tell them you said so.
Old 01-27-11, 07:56 PM
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
basement and garage
Old 01-27-11, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I have a dry basement so all my bikes stay down there. That's where my bicycle specific workshop is as well.
Old 01-27-11, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Poseidon X Ambition

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to keep at least one on the road as much as possible. The rest I keep in a spare storage closet.
Old 01-27-11, 08:26 PM

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now they are in the finished basement, during the riding season they are in the garage where they are easy to get to. There is a separate room in the basement for the furnace and an old water bed frame. Eventually I am going to clear it out and put a small workbench in there and hang the bikes from the rafters.
Old 01-27-11, 08:41 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of them hang around in the garage and a couple play "bat" and hang upside down in a dark corner of the basement waiting for their turn to come out to play.

Old 01-27-11, 08:50 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Right now I have 5 in the spare bedroom/man cave. 2 (my deceased road bike and my son's road bike) on a lean-to rack that holds them horizontally, 2 (my sport touring/dirt road bike and my wife's hybrid) hanging vertically from brackets on the wall by their front wheels and the new road bike hanging by the saddle from the repair stand. Out in the shed are my MTB and an unfinished mixte Peugeot project standing on the floor, my son's MTB and the tandem hanging from hooks on the rafters by their front wheels. A couple of frames and several old wheels are there waiting to be used or sold.
Old 01-27-11, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My condo's tuck under garage has a dividing wall in the front. The front portion is a bike shop/storage area. It's part of the reason we chose to buy this particular unit.
Old 01-27-11, 09:25 PM

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
My wife lets me keep the pretty bike in the house. The others have to sleep in the garage.
Old 01-27-11, 09:27 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
The Alu and steel bikes live on a bike tree in the garage, except for my tandem and my son's MTB and roadie. The tandem won't fit on the tree, and the other get ridden pretty frequently.

Our carbon bikes live in the house (dining room) 99 44/100 % of the time. The garage is too hot in the summer for the carbon. I put them out there in the very rare occasions when we use the dining room.
Old 01-27-11, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My multi-speed go-fast bike is in my bedroom, my get-groceries beater commuter SS/FG C&V bike is sharing the other bedroom with my niece and when my name comes up on the wait-list for a free space in the building I can build the bike out of the parts stored in the living room.
There is another option: $137/month bicycle parking in the lot around the corner.
Old 01-27-11, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I used to keep my bike in my garage, but that bike was stolen. My new bike has her own room in the basement. (I'd send a photo, but a real lady is NEVER photographed in her boudoir.)
Old 01-27-11, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There is an old addition on the back of my house that is divided into two small rooms. The larger of the two rooms has four bikes hanging from the ceiling near one wall and five attached to the facing wall. I have four more town bikes being stored inside unused motor vehicles and my tandem is 500 miles away visiting its daddy (it needed a new fork which entailed some head-tube modification by the frame builder/designer).
At some point during the next two years I will be tearing down the addition and building something else. I may have to build a storage shed first or it is going to get awfully crowded in the house while the construction happens.
Old 01-28-11, 12:01 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine are in the house, Hubby's are in the garage. His bikes were in the house (except the recumbent) until he put them out there for Christmas.
Old 01-28-11, 01:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our two-and-a-half bikes are hanging from the rafters in the garage.
They're real handy there -well, except for when my wife parks the car under one of them. then it's not handy at all but my main machine is always, always available and ready- but I have bonked my head on them, I don't know how many times.
Old 01-28-11, 05:50 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Three on the sun porch and four in the shed behind the house. I use the racks pictured below on the sun porch. (not my bikes, the photo is from Performance Bike's website).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20-4787-NCL-BIKES[1].jpg (15.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-28-11, 06:10 AM
Lucille

My son is coming over today to help move around stuff in the back room so the bikes and dogs can coexist (the dogs sleep back there). NOS88, the rack you have pictured looks like the style I chose as well.
Old 01-28-11, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage. We don't keep cars in the garage so there is plenty of room. The tandem hangs from the ceiling between the two garage doors and the singles are on the outside wall.
Old 01-28-11, 08:26 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have a 3 car garage, and 2 cars. One of the bays is filled with various and sundry bikes. My wife has two and one of them is on a trainer in the family room. Of the rest, one hangs from the wall, one from the ceiling, 5 on the floor, a trainer bike permanently ensconced in my man cave in the basement. I bought a bike rack a few months back but have yet to assemble it due to back surgery (couldn't lift it during recovery, and now wife is recovering and I am swamped). Once it warms up a bit and I have some time I will assemble the free-standing bike rack and see how it goes. I think I got this right.

Spec HR - wife (on trainer)
Trek 7400 - wife floor
3 wheeler (Andy's) - floor
Spec HR - old and stripped - hanging, ready for someone else to fix it up
Peugeot UO8 - wall
Windsor road bike - floor
Lemond BA - floor
Spec Rock Hopper - floor
Diamondback - trainer in basement
Old 01-28-11, 08:42 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Bike Storage - Not Hoardage

We have four family members. In our two-car garage, suspended from the rafters, we have four mountain bikes, my wife's touring bike, my touring bike, and my steel racing bike. Of the seven bikes hanging from the ceiling, four have pullies for ease of lifting. (Those are for the girls). My bikes hang from wheel hooks.

In the basement on a standing rack, we have my carbon bike. In the basement work room on a work stand, I have whatever bike is currently receiving medical care.

Phil G.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.