Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How much do you tell friends & neighbors about your bikes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I had a guitar instructor who gave lessons from his home. It wasn't until I had taken lessons for two years and we became friends that he took me to his basement and showed me his 350+ guitars stored there. He said, he rarely tells anyone about or shows anyone this, becasue he doesn't want to invite theft.

I've had neighbors ask, "How many bikes do you own?" I find myself replying, "Just a few." I tend not to give too many details.

So, do you proudly display and talk about 'em, or do you keep it on the quiet side?

Last edited by NOS88; 01-29-11 at 01:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-29-11, 01:25 PM

Bikes: domane trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot because I think biking is a great way to stay fit.
Old 01-29-11, 01:29 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

It's not hard to see mine from outside through the window. But you also have to look up to the third floor and through the trees. Few people do.

I was brought up that discussing prices paid for things, or one's salary, was rude. Times may have changed, but I haven't.

If pressed, every bike I own was, "A hundred bucks. I got it off Craigslist." This satisfies most.
Old 01-29-11, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If people ask specific questions I'll answer them. Mostly, my neighbors just don't care.
Old 01-29-11, 01:37 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I only have two bikes and my neighbors see me ridding in and out enough to know I'm an avid cyclist. No one has ask me how much and it they did I wouldn't tell them anyway. Bragging on how much your stuff cost is wrong in so many ways.
Old 01-29-11, 01:40 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I only have two bikes and my neighbors see me ridding in and out enough to know I'm an avid cyclist. No one has ask me how much and it they did I wouldn't tell them anyway. Bragging on how much your stuff cost is wrong in so many ways.
I think you might be mis-reading the post. I wasn't asking if you tell them how much the bikes were. Rather, I'm interested in how much you might tell them about the bikes - i.e., how many, what kinds, etc.

Last edited by NOS88; 01-29-11 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-29-11, 01:42 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have never discussed prices/costs. However, since I moved in 10 years ago, 3 60+ neighbors (wife and husband) within that many houses of me have started riding bicycles, and another across the street and 2 houses down races for a team. And the neighbor across the street - who started riding a year ago at about 63 years old- has a son and his SO who visit frequently and who are intensely into mtn biking. So, bicycles do come up now and then in our discussions. Sharing between us, rather than my telling them about myself. They have seen us riding for 10 years now, and pretty well can figure out us and our bicycles.

Also, we have a number of other folks who ride roadies and sometimes mtn bikes/hybrids in the subdivision of 300+ houses, including a couple directly on my block - although I have never had a conversation about bicycling with them.

Also, a few years back I led a community bike ride - not many came, but they sure know who I am and what I do.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-29-11 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 03:04 AM
Bicycles are for Children

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live out in the boonies, and only really have a few neighbors. Most of them probably know that I own at least a bicycle or two, since I come and go via bicycle so often down the gravel road leading to my house. My bicycles are all vintage, and for the most part don't look like anything special. None of my neighbors have ever really asked me about how many bicycles I have, but bicycles are not very coveted possessions in my neighborhood. Many of my neighbors own several cattle and/or horses, so a bicycle would just be small potatoes to them.
Old 01-30-11, 03:13 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Neighbours know I have bikes but they stay away from them. They have "Wallymart" grade bikes and they enjoy going out on the local Mups. But As to talking about value- They are not interested. If they knew how much a proper bike cost's they would probably faint.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-30-11, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The only question our older widower neighbour asks is: Are you going out on a ride? We might tell her where we are going, but that is about it, and she is happy with that (she is our watchdog, said in a very nice way).

People see us out and about on bikes all the time. It's a small town, and I get the occasional question at work as to whether I have been riding much lately. It depends who asks, but usually, "yes", and if it is one particular individual, I might mention events and distances.

Riding the tandem also makes us stand out somewhat, and our front yard has no fence or shrubbery, so people driving by will see us getting ready to ride or coming home after one.

Otherwise, no-one knows how many bikes, frames and bits are in the garage and in the backyard, or how many bikes are kept inside the house. And that is a good thing.
Old 01-30-11, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I had a guitar instructor who gave lessons from his home. It wasn't until I had taken lessons for two years and we became friends that he took me to his basement and showed me his 350+ guitars stored there.
Ask him if he has a guitar by a master Australian lutherer, Barry Kerr, who lives just around the corner from me.
Old 01-30-11, 05:42 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Ask him if he has a guitar by a master Australian lutherer, Barry Kerr, who lives just around the corner from me.
If you mean one of his archtop guitars, the answer is yes. At the time he showed me his full collection he only had two archtops - the Barry Kerr and a Bill Comins. Most of his collection was vintage Fender, Gibson, and Martin. I actually sold him four instruments that remain in his collection - a 1968 Gibson SG, 73 Martin D-35, unknown vintage Ibanez Ghostrider, and a 60s vintage Gibson Humingbird.
Old 01-30-11, 09:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My neighbors here are not riders. Only a couple of people at work have asked me about bikes: one who needed some work done on his mtb and the other who was buying a used one off CL and wanted my thoughts. Most cyclists in the area talk about rides rather than bikes, unless someone shows up with something new or different.
Old 01-30-11, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If people ask specific questions I'll answer them. Mostly, my neighbors just don't care.
Me, too. We have a sort of unspoken deal: They don't bore me with golf, and I don't bore them with bikes.
Old 01-30-11, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
When I first started serious cycling (1982) I was obsessive about it. I was eager to talk shop and bored everyone I knew. Eventually I realized that nobody cared about bicycling and were just nodding their heads and being polite. That's when I stopped mentioning cycling to anyone.

These days I have a number of friends who are cyclists and actually enjoy conversing about it.
Old 01-30-11, 10:48 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have only one neighbor who rides. He knows I have a variety of bikes though he has no idea as to the true extent of my fleet. He is fully aware of the value of almost any bike that he see's me on.

The rest of the 'Hood' knows me as that 'Old Coot' on the bikes. They haven't got a clue what is in my garage and house and are even more clueless as to their value. The next door who lady has a full view into my garage when I'm in there working only notices that "I'm an outdoors kind of guy".
Old 01-30-11, 11:23 AM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neighbors know not to begain asking about my bikes.
The elderly guy with the grey hair and beard transforms into techno geek speaking restoration and upgrade babble endlessly. (lol)
Old 01-30-11, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I've had neighbors ask, "How many bikes do you own?"
Mrs. Grouch and I were attending a party when somebody asked me how many bikes I owned. I took a minute to think about how to answer: If I have all of the parts in a box does that count as a bicycle? Would a bare frame count? Does everything have to be functional? What about a bike that I just want to sell - should that count? While I was thinking about all of that my wife blurted out "He has 8 bicycles."

That got me to wondering which bicycles she didn't know about.
Old 01-30-11, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I find that most people are not interested in my bicycles, skis, kayaks and other outdoor gear. I have only a couple of friends who are active in the outdoors who care to talk gear, something I enjoy talking about. I read Bike Forums to hear what others have to say about their cycling gear and experiences. I find that the more I talk or read about my outdoor interests, of which cycling is one of the most enjoyable, the more I am able to maintain enthusiasm.
Old 01-30-11, 12:09 PM
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I was brought up that discussing prices paid for things, or one's salary, was rude.
I agree.

But during the times I have bicycled (I'm returning after a long hiatus) I talk about bicycling. I've had the same neighbors on a one block long cul-de-sac for 30 years and some of us talk about gardening, fitness, kids, etc when we visit with each other in front yards.
Old 01-30-11, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
It's probably a good idea to maintain a low profile with regard to collections of anything, bikes, guns, cameras, cars, motorcycles, electronics etc.
Old 01-30-11, 12:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
It's probably a good idea to maintain a low profile with regard to collections of anything, bikes, guns, cameras, cars, motorcycles, electronics etc.
and girlfriends - especially if one is married!!
Old 01-30-11, 12:48 PM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
While I was thinking about all of that my wife blurted out "He has 8 bicycles."

That got me to wondering which bicycles she didn't know about.
I had a similar situation when Mrs BritBloke, nee MissAmerica, asked me why I needed to ride five bikes ...
Old 01-30-11, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I only talk bikes if asked. Some colleagues have asked to see them but I don't show them too often but I do direct them to my flickr site.
Old 01-30-11, 09:25 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I talk bikes if asked, except prices. I always say just under $700. I read that's high enough to sound like you care, but low enough people won't think you're nuts or break in just to steal one. If they only knew the truth....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.