Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The end is near...Florida Day is nigh!

...The end of the horrific cold weather that is.

We've been churning out below average readings temperature wise for the last two months. It's been darn cold. Since I often have to spend a lot of time outdoors on the job it often doesn't take much convincing before I put up the bike and cower in the heat and comfort of my pickup truck when commuting back and forth to work. I've been cowering a lot lately! Well that may come to an end next week. The weather dude predicts the temps to rise above freezing!! The worst it should be next week (day time) is in the 20's!!

So the bike will come back out, finally. January 18th was my last time on the bike and that seems like an eternity ago.

In celebration I think it's time for our annual Florida Day! Normally we set the home thermostat at 66*F daytime and 62*F nighttime. One day each Winter the bride and I declare it to be Florida Day and we set the thermostat at 72*F. It's great! We spend the whole day cavorting about the house in shorts and tank tops. Somehow the balance of the Winter season is a little easier to cope with after Florida Day.

So Feb 14th will be Florida Day in the Cranky Old Dude household this year. I think I even have a red tank top stashed away somewhere....

My Bikes
    1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valentines Day in Florida, huh? Hey, have a blast!
    Here in Tokyo, we just had our first snowfall of the year today. Not sure what this indicates in the greater scheme of things...

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Florida Day? The daytime highs have been in the 80's, and the nighttime lows are around 68. I have to turn the a/c down to 75 when I get home from work, because 78 just feels a little too humid. So not only do you need to turn up the heat, you need to add a few extra humidifiers. Do you have any palm tree props?
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may well be warmer there for a change, Cranky. it is 28* here at the job site this morning. That is cold for this southern boy. Enjoy the "Florida Day" for you and your bride. maybe Puxatawney Phil is right this year and we all will have an early spring.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your Florida Day!

I'm looking forward to the warmer temps predicted for next week, too. We've had below average temperatures for a couple months and have had very few days above the freezing mark. We've had below zero temps this week but next week is looking good and I too plan on taking the bikes out for a spin

7dayforecast.JPG
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During a South Florida winter, I actually wait for the cooler days so I can get something done outside, or in the garage. Heavens forbid if I have to go up in the attic crawl space to put Xmas decorations away, and it's 90 degrees out.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

We've been churning out below average readings temperature wise for the last two months. It's been darn cold. Since I often have to spend a lot of time outdoors on the job it often doesn't take much convincing before I put up the bike and cower in the heat and comfort of my pickup truck when commuting back and forth to work. I've been cowering a lot lately! Well that may come to an end next week. The weather dude predicts the temps to rise above freezing!! The worst it should be next week (day time) is in the 20's!!

So the bike will come back out, finally. January 18th was my last time on the bike and that seems like an eternity ago.

In celebration I think it's time for our annual Florida Day! Normally we set the home thermostat at 66*F daytime and 62*F nighttime. One day each Winter the bride and I declare it to be Florida Day and we set the thermostat at 72*F. It's great!
    We spend the whole day cavorting about the house in shorts and tank tops. Somehow the balance of the Winter season is a little easier to cope with after Florida Day.

So Feb 14th will be Florida Day in the Cranky Old Dude household this year. I think I even have a red tank top stashed away somewhere....
    Great. Now I have that image stuck in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Enjoy your Florida Day!

I'm looking forward to the warmer temps predicted for next week, too. We've had below average temperatures for a couple months and have had very few days above the freezing mark. We've had below zero temps this week but next week is looking good and I too plan on taking the bikes out for a spin
    7dayforecast.JPG
    Dang, your weather next week is going to be 10 degrees warmer than ours . I haven't ridden outside since you guys were up here in late October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

In celebration I think it's time for our annual Florida Day! Normally we set the home thermostat at 66*F daytime and 62*F nighttime. One day each Winter the bride and I declare it to be Florida Day and we set the thermostat at 72*F. It's great! We spend the whole day cavorting about the house in shorts and tank tops. Somehow the balance of the Winter season is a little easier to cope with after Florida Day.

How 'bout a Hawaiian shirt? You guys are gonna be regular Parrot Heads.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tradition.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your Florida Day.

Looks like we will be getting close around here - temp will be up to 60F this next week. Our house is configured so that we have huge, heat gathering windows pointed south, and those windows DO collect the heat when the sun is shining - like today. We have a couple of nice shade trees whose leaves block that sunlight in the summer. Works out great!

BTW, we turn our thermostat to 55F at night, about 62F during the day time.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. Caution to the wind!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can blame all the unusual coldness on
    Global Warming
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Dang, your weather next week is going to be 10 degrees warmer than ours . I haven't ridden outside since you guys were up here in late October.
    Our last ride was December 31. We did the usual Friday route from Brookville to Arcanum for lunch. The ride to lunch was fabulous.....tailwinds and 16+ mph without too much pedaling. Unfortunately the ride back was hell. I struggled to keep the bike moving and not falling over
    Last edited by Beverly; 02-11-11 at 05:35 PM.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We try to keep the central heating at around 64 deg but now turned it down a bit so that we can enjoy the Warm wet soggy weather in the garden. Haven't had a frost for over a week now so Spring is on the way. Jusy a pity the rain is horizontal in the winds.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, well we have your, "FL. Day", everyday it's not "below freezing" outside. Our apt. has a steam boiler heating system and all winter it's 78 to 80 degrees F in our apt., the "thermostat" is just for deceration purposes only, don't matter weither you set it at 50 or 90, the temp stays the same. UNLESS, it's goes below ZERO outside, that put's too much "strain" on the heating system and we have to break out the "thermostat controled space heaters" and crank them up as we have "MN. DAYS" till the outside temps rise above ZERO.

Enjoy your day of frolick and don't forget to "crank up the Jimmy Buffet" CD!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny, do you have summer style food for Florida day?

Have you been down to Irondequoit bay this winter? There's got to be 25 pairs of Swans in the inlet.
    http://rocnow.com/article/features-r...on/20102250307

It's not over yet. Here a cam shot of our harbor in Rochester today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    Lenny, do you have summer style food for Florida day?

Have you been down to Irondequoit bay this winter? There's got to be 25 pairs of Swans in the inlet.
    http://rocnow.com/article/features-r...on/20102250307

It's not over yet. Here a cam shot of our harbor in Rochester today.

It's been snowing and blowing all day down here. Sometimes I can barely see the road from my front window and it's a mere 40' away!!!

Drove past the bay a few times recently, once on my way to Webster pier. It's kinda cold there too.....

So.....are you going swimming tomorrow?!?!
    http://www.polarplunge.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did Florida day go? Didn't go swimming. We went down there but missed the plunge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    How did Florida day go? Didn't go swimming. We went down there but missed the plunge.
    Ahhh, Florida day.....

We set the thermostat to 73* on Sunday evening, stayed in on Monday, and finally reactivated the Program Mode on Monday evening. (I was going to kill the heat on Tuesday mornng as I left for work but we couldn't stand the heat any longer!!)