Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-11, 12:31 PM   #1
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Riding with weights for the exercise of it...

...well, I might as well be! After installing a frame pump, I decided to weigh my paw paw bike (Trek Navigator) with a full water bottle, pump, seat bag, etc., etc.

38 lbs!

...plus my current 235 or so once on the road. Oh well - I just look at it as the cycling equivalent of running in ankle weights. One of these days I'll move on to something lighter, but not until I've put a more effort into fully utilizing this bike (tuning the engine, as it were).

I could get two of those TCRs stepfam is looking at for this weight. Might be kinda difficult to ride them both at the same time, though...
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 12:57 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It does depend on your terrain- hills and you have a problem but flatlands and once you get up to speed- Weight is an advantage. And as for Downhills----

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 01:25 PM   #3
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
...and once you get up to speed- Weight is an advantage. And as for Downhills----
...it's harder to stop, eh? Maybe that's where those big tires come into play.
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 04:05 PM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not harder to stop but once up to speed and momentum has built up. Slight deviations in the Uphill slope will not have quite as fast an effect on slowing the heavier bike and rider down- so you do not lose momentum quite as fast so do not have to build it up again. It is a disadvantage uphills but that extra weight on the downhills works with gravity to build up speed quicker. My mate weighs 240 lbs and I weigh 150. Downhill and same speed at the top of a long steep hill and he will always get to the bottom first- without any pedalling.

Those lightweight bikes do work---uphill. I know people say that it is easier and cheaper to lose body weight- but when you are only 150 lbs- not much weight to lose. It is easier for me to lose 2lbs on a 20lb bike than 5lbs off the body.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 04:19 PM   #5
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The first rule is always weigh your bike before you hang a bunch of stuff on it. A water bottle cage, perhaps, but not a water bottle and never a full water bottle.

Rationalization based on science is good if you learn your bike is significantly heavier than optimal. There's the downhill and flatland stuff as explained previously and there's also the Could Be Worse strategy: Thank goodness my bike is 4130 - if it were hi-ten steel it would REALLY be heavy.

Last edited by JanMM; 02-12-11 at 04:22 PM.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 05:06 PM   #6
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
My commuting bike itself isn't particularly heavy, but then I add panniers containing extra clothing, lunch and snacks, various stuff I need at work, a lock, a few tools...and suddenly I can barely lift the bike! And then on the way home I might add some groceries. I, too, tell myself I just get more exercise that way.
ro-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 05:18 PM   #7
surgeonstone

Bikes: Merlin Lunaris
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
I was just reading about Laird Hamilton, the surfer dude, who trains this way. He fits 90 pounds of weight to his bike and rides up Mt. H. in Hawaii. 10,000 foot vertical! Just insane. I remember in my younger touring days in college and med school riding around the North East and Quebec with 70 lbs of stuff. The thing I remember most was the sheer joy of divesting the bike of all this gear and going out for a quick evening spin, like flying. No- I think I will continue sans weight.
surgeonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 06:26 PM   #8
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
While practicing with triathletes in Lake Placid I had a bike with a trunk on the back and got some good natured teasing about the "extra luggage". I told them that my coach put two bricks in there and said "when you ride without the "extra luggage" you will go like a rocket. I had them going for a minute or two but I couldn't hold a straight face.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote