Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How in the world does one keep up . . . . ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/713168-how-world-does-one-keep-up.html)

DnvrFox 02-12-11 05:28 PM

How in the world does one keep up . . . . ?

Overwhelming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

Phil85207 02-12-11 05:55 PM

I am glad I'm old, retired and don't have to look forward to doing it all over again.

poperszky 02-12-11 07:10 PM

You don't, you pick an area and specialize. Even then it is getting harder and harder.

XR2 02-12-11 07:58 PM

Do you blindly accept the information put forth as factual? What is the truth these days? Think I'll go get some ice cream. :D

overthehillmedi 02-12-11 08:20 PM

+! on the ice cream.

DnvrFox 02-12-11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi (Post 12216531)
+! on the ice cream.

Errr . . . . - would that be digitally produced ice cream?

NOS88 02-12-11 08:25 PM

I remember my grandfather's reaction to the the first manned landing on the moon. He cried. He was a blacksmith by trade and had a great respect for making things that had functional value. He was so pleased that in his lifetime he saw something so spectacular. For my part, I can't wait to see what comes next. As humans all on the same planet, I think it's going to be an adventure to see how we manage the shrinking of our world because of technology. I see these as exciting times.

TheHen 02-12-11 09:05 PM

This is why it is helpful to have a child. You spend the first fifteen years of their life teaching them everything you know and they spend the next fifty trying to keep you from getting too far behind. Our job is easier than theirs.

billydonn 02-12-11 10:53 PM

Not sure I buy the "information explosion" thing... I think much of it may be more like a "noise" explosion. And the population explosion is real of course. At any rate it is comforting to know that no matter how much noise blows around us it will always be the simple human things that matter.

xizangstan 02-12-11 11:19 PM

I'm getting too old to try and keep up. I think I'll go do something that's becoming obsolete and be happy with it. Something like making wooden bicycle wheels. Or teaching honesty in banking or government.

xizangstan 02-12-11 11:22 PM

BTW: I don't understand the population explosion. If sex is taught to be wrong, and the government is watching virtually everything we do, where are all the babies coming from?

tmac100 02-12-11 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 12216547)
Errr . . . . - would that be digitally produced ice cream?

Yes it would be if it was made in a hand-powered ice cream maker :lol:

Garfield Cat 02-12-11 11:29 PM

Think Tanks do this kind of research and that piece did not reveal much about the research.

From my perspective, in science and technology and engineering, the best schools are still here in the U.S. Maybe part of the reason is that the U.S. Government (Congress) allocates an annual budget of a little over 6 billion to fund research. You can find this out by visiting the National Science Foundation.

safariofthemind 02-13-11 12:03 AM

Ideas require fertile ground to grow. In my travels I've found that what Asia gets in sheer numbers it also looses in inefficient and corrupt bureaucracies. They will grow, but all is not lost for us. Nothing wrong with Asia "per se" but don't discount the western world.

What is clear is that the days of a single country dominating knowledge are over. We better learn to leverage and cooperate other people's good ideas. Immigration of good minds is one thing we can do, teaching our kids to think outside the box is another. Running scared is definitely not going to help anyone. The mid-20th century was a total one-of fluke when the US with less than 5 per cent of the world population had 25 per cent plus of world GDP. That is nearly impossible to sustain indefinitely.

We need to concentrate on applying all that tech and science to ensuring a sustainable, good quality of life and competitiveness on per-capita basis without killing the planet, not absolutes or bragging rights on sheer statistics.

guybierhaus 02-13-11 12:57 AM

At my current average speed on bike (abt 11mph), I gotta be falling behind. Hopefully I can raise that to say 13mph and stay even??

DnvrFox 02-13-11 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 12217134)
Not sure I buy the "information explosion" thing... I think much of it may be more like a "noise" explosion. And the population explosion is real of course. At any rate it is comforting to know that no matter how much noise blows around us it will always be the simple human things that matter.

Err . . . - you mean like wars and crime - that sort of simple human things that animals don't seem to do much of? :)

earth2pete 02-13-11 08:06 AM

interesting thread.

i think the information explosion can be a good thing. what if there is someone in china who discovers a cure for alzheimer's disease and shares it instantly with the global medical community? or 911 calls could be handled more efficiently? the list of possibilities could be endless.

billydonn 02-13-11 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 12217800)
Err . . . - you mean like wars and crime - that sort of simple human things that animals don't seem to do much of? :)

WTF?.... My you are on a negative tilt today Denver! :)

I mean like having coffee and conversation with your spouse or going on a family picnic. Or taking delight in a few moments petting the family cat. Or, apropos of this forum, taking a bike ride and looking around as the world goes by.

Not to deny that there are serous world issues of course, but these are the things that each of us retreats to when the world gets overwhelming. Don't you think?

DnvrFox 02-13-11 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 12217917)
WTF?.... My you are on a negative tilt today Denver! :)

I mean like having coffee and conversation with your spouse or going on a family picnic. Or taking delight in a few moments petting the family cat. Or, apropos of this forum, taking a bike ride and looking around as the world goes by.

Not to deny that there are serous world issues of course, but these are the things that each of us retreats to when the world gets overwhelming. Don't you think?

Yes

RonH 02-13-11 08:53 AM

I'm still looking for a cell phone (to replace my 4 year old flip phone) that isn't smarter than me. :twitchy:

Louis 02-13-11 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by xizangstan (Post 12217234)
BTW: I don't understand the population explosion. If sex is taught to be wrong, and the government is watching virtually everything we do, where are all the babies coming from?

Umm...storks?

XR2 02-13-11 10:56 AM

Keep up? Why would you want to? Really. Why?

I was lying about the ice cream. :D

overthehillmedi 02-13-11 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by XR2 (Post 12218360)
Keep up? Why would you want to? Really. Why?

I was lying about the ice cream. :D

Oh, sure I blow my diet with ice cream and find out afterwards it was all a lie! :(

longbeachgary 02-13-11 11:39 AM

Funny thing is that the video is 3 years old. My Space has lost users whereas facebook has added many millions. I think that there is a newer video with updated numbers.

Beverly 02-13-11 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 12217967)
I'm still looking for a cell phone (to replace my 4 year old flip phone) that isn't smarter than me. :twitchy:

I've found that my new phone (Palm Pre Plus) is easier to operate than my old flip phone. The old flip phone used to talk to me sometimes and I always needed the granddaughter to fix it for me:(