Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The day after

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The day after

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 11:26 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The day after

I have not been out for a sensible ride since November. Weather has not been conducive to riding although I have been out for a few 20 milers just to keep the legs turning---and that was what those rides were- just turned the legs without putting a great deal of effort in as I had another couple of problems.

My knees and back have caused me a few problems and these are OLD injuries from 40 years ago. But with the lack of Riding- I have lost mobility in the back and the knees are causing PAIN.

But yesterday I had to ride and I put a fair amount of energy in on that ride. 25 miles in 5 mile stints and although not extreme pressure or Effort- I had to make the legs and lungs work harder than they have for a long time. Last night I paid for it. The back lost all mobility and the knees were screaming. On top of that my Neck was causing a bit of pain. Pain got so bad I finished my last bottle of Brandy that I do keep for emergency's or if I really do want a decent drink.

Then this morning and I was prepared to go out for a recovery ride to ease the body back into some semblance of order but no need-thank goodness. The weather was not good with rain and 25mph winds----But no pain what so-ever.

I blame it on the brandy for not needing to ride today.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-13-11, 11:41 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I need to ride today after a long, cold & snowy winter. The next week could provide 4 days of riding if I can find the motivation.

It looks like I should invest in some brandy before putting in those needed miles.
Old 02-13-11, 12:12 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

I blame it on the brandy for not needing to ride today.
Maybe I'll try the brandy before heading out on the bike this week. I haven't been on the bike since 12/31 due to cold, ice and snow

Temperatues are headed for the 40-50F range this week and I intend to take advantage of it

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith