User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't be to careful out there.

I was in the bike lane and a string of trucks with horse trailers came by. The last one cut over into my bike lane and very nearly crushed me against the curb. Had I not got on the binders hard and quickly, this nut would have gotten me. I yelled as loud as I could and he pulled over into his lane again. As I caught back up to him at the next light I could see he was on a cell phone. Well I lost it. I started to give him a tongue lashing at the light. The people across the street were wondering what was going on. When the light turned green I said to them " cell phone driver nearly ran me over", and about that time here he comes and pulled into the bike lane again. I know I should have just let it go but... grrrrrrrrr.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Lucille
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    and about that time here he comes and pulled into the bike lane again.
    Possibly intentionally the second time. I'm glad you're OK.
    Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que l' esprits prepares. Louis Pasteur

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer as I passed a parked utility van, the man in the drivers seat threw a banana skin out the window.
    I circled around, picked it up and threw it back in his still open window.

Felt good, but people have been killed for less.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    Last summer as I passed a parked utility van, the man in the drivers seat threw a banana skin out the window.

Not recommended action but I would love to see the video.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post

Like to live dangerously do you?

But, I would have loved to have been there and watched.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the bike lane and a string of trucks with horse trailers came by. The last one cut over into my bike lane and very nearly crushed me against the curb. Had I not got on the binders hard and quickly, this nut would have gotten me. I yelled as loud as I could and he pulled over into his lane again. As I caught back up to him at the next light I could see he was on a cell phone. Well I lost it. I started to give him a tongue lashing at the light. The people across the street were wondering what was going on. When the light turned green I said to them " cell phone driver nearly ran me over", and about that time here he comes and pulled into the bike lane again. I know I should have just let it go but... grrrrrrrrr.
    On the Ride the Rockies many moons ago, as we were leaving Granby while crossing a bridge, a semi with a flatbed cut the corner too wide and the rear wheels almost took out a female rider with no place to go on the bridge. Scary. She got through OK, but it was a bit close. Glad you got through OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why you should always carry a grenade. You could have tossed it into the horse trailer. bk

Not really.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're ok.
    Drivers are nuts!!
    Here's what happened to me today.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful before yelling at drivers. They are in big, heavy, powerful vehicles. You're on some 18 lb. contraption that offers no protection. I've tried all kinds of strategies in dealing with discourteous/dangerous drivers. the best for me has been to spread my arms and open my hands palm upward as if asking "what the hell are you doing?" They can usually see me in their rear view mirrors. Very non-confrontative. Sometimes I've been able to catch up with drivers at lights and tap on their windows. When they lower them I point out what they did. This is a friendly way to do things but not always effective. I've gotten into arguments this way.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get their Lic # and call the police. Report them for reckless driving.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Be careful before yelling at drivers. They are in big, heavy, powerful vehicles. You're on some 18 lb. contraption that offers no protection. I've tried all kinds of strategies in dealing with discourteous/dangerous drivers. the best for me has been to spread my arms and open my hands palm upward as if asking "what the hell are you doing?" They can usually see me in their rear view mirrors. Very non-confrontative. Sometimes I've been able to catch up with drivers at lights and tap on their windows. When they lower them I point out what they did. This is a friendly way to do things but not always effective. I've gotten into arguments this way.
    Why place oneself in a position to have an argument with an unknown quantity? Will that actually change their behavior in the future? That's not why I bicycle. How about simply ignoring the whole thing, or, at the very most, license plate and cell phone. Even then, it is always aggravating to me to phone the police - they always want a whole lot of info, descriptions, etc., etc.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironic thread title is ironic.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To ignore a dangerous incident caused by a driver is, in a way, to condone it. Any way that would communicate the driver's error to the driver that would be non-hostile would be better than saying nothing. but, of course, there is always a risk involved. In all my interactions over the forty years I've been riding, I've never gotten into anything more than an argument, never escalating to the point of violence. I assume that if I were right, the incident might have some possible effects on the driver the next time he interacts with a cyclist. But, of course, there is no guarantee. But it's all a matter of one's personality and inclinations..
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have actually had a few drivers be contrite when they do a brain dead stunt. Their brains obviously functioned well enough for them to know that they had done something stupid and put someone else's life at risk. My response was always, "just try to be careful". Everyone makes slips. Automobiles are dangerous machinery as our traffic death toll indicates.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    To ignore a dangerous incident caused by a driver is, in a way, to condone it. Any way that would communicate the driver's error to the driver that would be non-hostile would be better than saying nothing. but, of course, there is always a risk involved. In all my interactions over the forty years I've been riding, I've never gotten into anything more than an argument, never escalating to the point of violence. I assume that if I were right, the incident might have some possible effects on the driver the next time he interacts with a cyclist. But, of course, there is no guarantee. But it's all a matter of one's personality and inclinations..
    There is a difference between communicating the driver's error to the driver and this:

I started to give him a tongue lashing at the light.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."