I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pleasant ride

I haven't been on my bike for a couple of months. I have been going to the gym about six days a week, alternating swimming with weights and treadmill and thoroughly enjoying it.

But today was so gorgeous (75 degrees) I just had to get Ruby out for a spin. A nice twenty miler was fascinating to me because

• I wasn't sore at all, which I worried I might be.
    • I could swear I was going about 1-2 mph faster than before, although I can't prove it. I was rumbling along at 15-16, and I remember being a 14-15 kind of guy before this.

Point is, the ride was fun. My knee didn't act up, my feet were good to go, my back didn't talk back, and even my butt wasn't sore after that long absence.

I could also swear I smelled spring in the air. Ah, spring!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the gym visits had a lot to do with how easy the ride seemed to you. Last year I did a week long tour in Florida in March. The only preparation I had for the tour was working out at the gym the previous twelve weeks. I was surprised how easy the tour went for me.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's to cross-training!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post

I'm sure the gym visits had a lot to do with how easy the ride seemed to you. Last year I did a week long tour in Florida in March. The only preparation I had for the tour was working out at the gym the previous twelve weeks. I was surprised how easy the tour went for me.
    Beverly - I've been thinking about this all week, and it really amazes me. I was so concerned about making it to spin classes after work while training for TdF; I did some other cross-training but focused mostly on the bike. Did you do any spin classes or riding on a stationery bike during those 12 weeks?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to go to the gym twice a week for cross training from Feb through to May- twice a week. 1 hour cardio and a bit in the weights room. Couple that with some hard rides on Sunday and I was fit for the hard ride in June. But from April I was also doing some hilly hard 30 milers in the evenings. One winter I did a spin seession instead of the Cardio workout for one night and it took longer to get full fitness.

But DG- good to see you out on the bike. But still require pics of the Fellow cyclists on your rides. I still remember the "Bikini Babes" you managed to catch up with one year. That must have out some cardio work in to get in front of them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan