Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can I use my Road Bike for Commuting to work?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Can I use my Road Bike for Commuting to work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Rode a road bike for 16 years as a commuter.
Old 02-20-11, 08:52 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
My commute is kind of weird. It's 26 miles each way, 85% of which is on bike paths or bike lanes. The remaining portion is on a couple of roads with not too much traffic and very broad shoulders. The drive in is quite a bit shorter because I cross the Minnesota river and have to go quite a bit out of the way to get to a pedestrian crossing. I don't have a shower at work. I take my clothes and tomorrow's lunch in to work the day before so I don't have to carry anything with me. I ride a road bike but I have to chant "no chasing, no passing" to myself over and over -- at least on the way to work! I made the mistake the first couple of times of gettng too sweaty and a little tired trying to see how fast I can get to work. Now I force myself to take at least an hour and a half so that I'm not beyond cleaning up with a washcloth. I see lots of commuters with panniers and I wonder if they think I'm just some guy out for a pleasure ride. I watch the weather and only ride on nice days so the most I've ever managed was 3 times in one week. I used to take a route that was 2 miles shorter but it goes right down to the level of the river so there's too much climbing and this one time I ran into a bunch of tiny flies that stuck all over me. It was really disgusting even by my standards. I had to stop at a house and hose myself off with their sprinkler before getting to work. I don't go that way anymore.
Old 02-21-11, 05:13 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree with most others. There are a few questions which should provide guidance:

1- do I have secure parking at the other end so theft is low risk and I can ride a good road or tri bike?

2- are the roads passable enough for thin tires or just to heavy with glass and deep potholes

3- do I need a bike trailer, or can I carry what I need on my back with an excellent back pack

Beyond that it's all what makes you happy: color, fit, type of bike, etc.

Just keep fun in the process...
Old 02-21-11, 10:07 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get a cyclocross bike. Nearly as fast as your roadie + can equip with 28mm tires (or bigger). Many will take fenders if you want. They come in CF too! Very fun.

Old 02-21-11, 10:19 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
but am wondering what traits a "commuter" would provide over one of my traditional road bikes.
To me, it all depends on the commute. For decades, my commuter was a 10 speed that was solid, dependable and fast. Fine for flat California streets and mild hills. But when I moved to Arkansas and realized that I'd have narrow potholed hilly streets I changed to an old hard tail Specialized Hard Rock. My last commute was 10 miles each way, hills, but one section that was great for cruising, and I pulled out the short wheelbase recumbent.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.