Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Alabama/Georgia Rail rail ride anyone?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 11:02 AM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm riding the Chief Ladiga/ Silver Comet trail in June, the 10th through the 13th to be specific. Leaving from Anniston with a couple of friends(so far), spending night one in Cedartown, then Smyrna on night two, back to Cedartown, then Anniston. We're travelling light, motel camping, and moving pretty slow, if anyone else is interested in the ride!
It's about 50 miles a day on a paved trail, the longest paved rail trail in the U.S., I believe they say on the site.
Here's the link to the trail:https://www.silvercometga.com/index.shtml
And to a map of both: https://silvercometmap.com/silver-comet-trail-map/
June is usually warm, but with cool evenings and nights.
I'd love to have some more folks along. Consider yourselves invited!
I'm also posting this in a couple more sub forums.
Old 02-07-11, 01:03 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a great trail and would be wonderful to see you again, but a bit far for me. Love the photos on the website; who would have thought photos of a Georgia trail would have snow.
Old 02-07-11, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Looks like a great trail and would be wonderful to see you again, but a bit far for me. Love the photos on the website; who would have thought photos of a Georgia trail would have snow.
+1

Karl, I'd love to do that ride but the long drive is just too much.
Old 02-07-11, 01:24 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand gentlemen, especially the part about the long drive! But just think: 200+ miles(rt), paved, 12' wide(Ken - 4 meters! Ha!), with NO CARS! Do I know how to dangle a carrot or what?
Old 02-07-11, 01:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It is not such a long drive for me, but I will be in the final days of a 400 mile ride from Atlanta to Savannah (with cars) at that time. Otherwise I would try to join you, at least for part of it.

I made a similar but shorter trip a while back from Rockmart to Anniston and back with my son.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=ladiga

I'm sure it will be fun.
Old 02-07-11, 02:12 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
12' wide(Ken - 4 meters! Ha!)
Nice try Karl, but we spell it "metres". Meters are devices for measuring water or electricity. We do what the English tell us, and they are still influenced by the Norman invasion of 1066.
Old 02-07-11, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I understand gentlemen, especially the part about the long drive! But just think: 200+ miles(rt), paved, 12' wide(Ken - 4 meters! Ha!), with NO CARS! Do I know how to dangle a carrot or what?
You devil.
Old 02-07-11, 03:30 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I did a good part of that trail last summer.... it is really nice. But Cedartown to Rockmart is hilly with some semi-funky road crossings so use caution on that section. The swimming hole at Rockmart is a must-stop.

My pictures on the Silver Comet
Old 02-07-11, 10:23 PM
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
I did a good part of that trail last summer.... it is really nice. But Cedartown to Rockmart is hilly with some semi-funky road crossings so use caution on that section. The swimming hole at Rockmart is a must-stop.

My pictures on the Silver Comet
Loved your pics BD! I'll consider the swimming hole, but it seems every time I go swimming, some one eyed, peg-legged ol' salt starts chasin' after me with a harpoon. No respect, I tell ya.
Old 02-07-11, 11:48 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Loved your pics BD! I'll consider the swimming hole, but it seems every time I go swimming, some one eyed, peg-legged ol' salt starts chasin' after me with a harpoon. No respect, I tell ya.
From Blues Dawg's Thread:
"The first few miles of the Silver Comet beyond Rockmart is surprisingly hilly compared to the trail out to that point. Much of it runs along the side of a highway and is at road grade rather than railroad grade. None of the hills are long, but I imagine many casual riders used to flat rail/trails might have to walk up a couple of them. Even a hill climbing machine like my son can get caught by surprise in the wrong gear and struggle on the one about a mile out.
The detour on regular roads to connect the gap between Rockmart and Cedartown was very nice, scenic and low traffic. It was also a bit hilly. More like what I'm used to at home. No problem for us, but flatlanders should be aware."

I rode 62 miles from Dallas to Cedartown and back on a very hot July day and Blues Dawg's warning about the need for plenty of water and the little surprise hill about a mile out of Rockmart should be heeded. I actually got ambushed by that little hill and Tombayed on it... no joke. Talked to a local guy who said he and his wife went down on the same little hill on a tandem bike. Several of the hills in that section are preceded by or followed by sharp curves and rural road crossings so you cannot carry momentum into them. All of the trail that I have seen, other than the Cedartown-Rockmart section, is gentle and tends to lull you into complacency. If I did not have a ride planned in Montana about the same time I would likely get down there to join you... I would sure like another crack at that Cedartown-Rockmart section with fresh legs!

PS... You might see if you can get Ron H to go along. He lives in the Atlanta area and is easily strong enough to make the ride.

Last edited by billydonn; 02-08-11 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 10:03 AM
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Nice try Karl, but we spell it "metres". Meters are devices for measuring water or electricity. We do what the English tell us, and they are still influenced by the Norman invasion of 1066.
I stand corrected sir! Just be glad for the English influence up there - otherwise you might be speaking French!
Old 02-08-11, 12:30 PM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
My wife and I are hoping to ride our tandem there next week. We will post our observations when we get back. The temperature outside the kitchen window is 19. The Weather Channel web site shows upper 50's for next week along the trail. Good-Bye cabin fever!
Old 02-08-11, 01:17 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year, that week was near 100º everyday. Be prepared for some heat and humidity. I spent that week in Tuscaloosa, Al., and it was miserable.

I see the OP is from Alabama so he must know what he's in for.
Old 02-08-11, 03:26 PM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a fun/interesting ride, maybe next year, already scheduled up for this year.
Old 02-08-11, 03:42 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5458 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Thanks for the map. I've walked small portions of the Comet Trail. Next time I go to Douglasville the bike will come with me.
Old 02-08-11, 11:36 PM
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Last year, that week was near 100º everyday. Be prepared for some heat and humidity. I spent that week in Tuscaloosa, Al., and it was miserable.

I see the OP is from Alabama so he must know what he's in for.
Didn't realize it would still be nippy. I'll pack a sweater!
Old 02-22-11, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanks to Blues Dawg's thread, we avoided the hills near Rockmart. We really enjoyed our rides. The Silver Comet Trail is super clean. There were young men with gasoline powered leaf blowers cleaning off the pine cones one day we rode. The weather could not have been better last week, upper 50's to lower 70's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0432.jpg (95.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-22-11, 12:10 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3bluebikes
Thanks to Blues Dawg's thread, we avoided the hills near Rockmart. We really enjoyed our rides. The Silver Comet Trail is super clean. There were young men with gasoline powered leaf blowers cleaning off the pine cones one day we rode. The weather could not have been better last week, upper 50's to lower 70's.
Sounds nice. I'm just wondering why you would avoid a few hills? Hills are what make cycling fun.
Old 02-22-11, 12:12 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I didn't mean to scare you away from the hills, just make you aware of them. That is a nice section of trail just west of the hills. Glad you had a nice ride. I see you rode the bridge over Pumpkinvine Creek.
Old 02-22-11, 12:35 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
These were our first rides of the new year. We hadn't been on the tandem since early November. We will take on some local hills next month. A word of warning, there is a very unfrienly dog between the trail and the Slaughter Grocery Store. We turned back rather than try to continue past her.
Old 02-22-11, 09:32 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I didn't mean to scare you away from the hills, just make you aware of them. That is a nice section of trail just west of the hills. Glad you had a nice ride. I see you rode the bridge over Pumpkinvine Creek.
Yeah, I was kind of looking forward to hearing about your adventures west of Rockmart. What sections of the SC did you ride? Must have details. And more pics?

PS: OTOH I can see why you would use caution riding that area on a tandem.

Last edited by billydonn; 02-22-11 at 09:38 PM.