User Tag List

My Bikes
    ROVER TRIKE BIKE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transporting terra trike ideas

I found a couple ideas on here about transporting terra trike bikes but not enough ideas.
    We have two trikes but I need some better ideas. And a picture of two on the back of a car if any one has available pictures. And give me an idea how much all this cost. Hoping there is a solution other than buying a truck.

Can't wait for spring weather to break in Ohio. we still have snow on the ground .

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I built this for transporting my wife's Sun EZ3 on a Ciera for less than $50

'

on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack this thread but how is Crazylady doing these days, Tom? Now back to the thread with no ideas.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerriAnn44 View Post
    I found a couple ideas on here about transporting terra trike bikes
    How can a Trike be a Bike?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would a trailer be an idea? Maybe a small enclosed and have one trike over the other one?
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope somebody has a good idea for you because I'm not going to be very much help. Mrs. Grouch and I worked through this issue backward.

I had pretty much discarded the idea of owning a trike due to the transportation issue. Then, at the Rans recumbent rally, a dealer from colorado showed me a folding ICE trike. I was impressed. After returning home, we drove my wife's Saturn to a local dealer and said: "If you can show her how she can fit the trike into her car and assemble it so she can ride, we'll buy it." It took awhile but the owner figured out how to do it and we drove home with a Greenspeed GT3 in the trunk. The Greenspeed cost a bit more than she wanted to spend but we didn't have to buy a rack and receiver.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 02-19-11 at 06:48 AM.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Habor Freight usually has a "generic" utility trailer for cheap, just add a 1 inch thick sheet of 4/8 "painted or stained" plywood, put the trikes "side by side, facing, "east/west" (or opposite facing the same way), drill some holes of "eye bolts" to use tie dow straps to hold the trikes. It does mean you'll need to get a "trailer receiver hitch" for you car but I can't think of a better way to haul, 2-Tad Trikes, jmho, ymmv!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    ROVER TRIKE BIKE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I found a solution from this web site. What do all you think? A good deal or a rip off?
    http://www.hitchrider.com/truckee-switch.htm

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I found a solution from this web site. What do all you think? A good deal or a rip off?
    http://www.hitchrider.com/truckee-switch.htm
    It looks good to me but this strikes me as the kind of thing where the devil is in the details. I wonder about the clearance between the rear trike wheels and the ground. There's a potential "yucky seat" issue too.

I'd want to see one "in the real" and see how it fits my car and how my trikes fit on it. I might call a recumbent specialty dealer, like Hostel Shoppe or Utah Trikes, and ask what they know about the product.

My Bikes
    BikeE AT, BikeE CT, Greenspeed GT3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...I've just joined this forum, bought my Greenspeed GT3 just over a week ago, rode it 100K couple of days ago...but dang, I can't figure out how to fit it into my Honda Civic Hybrid's trunk or back seat.

I had done some test riding at my local recumbent shop over a year ago, and I now think it was a Trice that I managed to squeeze in there--I bought this barely-used GT3, hauled it home in my old Volvo Station Wagon that I hope to get rid of, but now am looking into getting a Draftmaster or roof rack for the Civic.

Or maybe there's a way to get the GT3 in...how hard is it to take off the wheels (drum brake) and put them back on? If it can fit a Saturn's trunk, there's a chance I can get it in the Civic. So...Retro Grouch--what do you do besides the basic fold, please?

chas

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I hope somebody has a good idea for you because I'm not going to be very much help. Mrs. Grouch and I worked through this issue backward.

I had pretty much discarded the idea of owning a trike due to the transportation issue. Then, at the Rans recumbent rally, a dealer from colorado showed me a folding ICE trike. I was impressed. After returning home, we drove my wife's Saturn to a local dealer and said: "If you can show her how she can fit the trike into her car and assemble it so she can ride, we'll buy it." It took awhile but the owner figured out how to do it and we drove home with a Greenspeed GT3 in the trunk. The Greenspeed cost a bit more than she wanted to spend but we didn't have to buy a rack and receiver.

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a Trailer!

If you can put a receiver hitch on your car, you can pull a trailer.

Here's a shot of our tandem trike and an upright bike on a trailer.

Here's the first photo in a sequence showing how fittings were attached to the trailer for transporting the trike and two upright bikes. Going backwards in the sequence shows the assembly of the trike.

- Ed

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest solution would be a small fold up utility trailer. Sears and Harbor Freight have them. I was looking at a Tad Pole when I first got back into Cycling and thought it would be a bear to transport even in my SUV. Not a chance it would fit in my old compact. Nixed the trike idea for now, I finally got a road bike, but will keep the SUV if the time comes when I ever get a trike.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    BikeE AT, BikeE CT, Greenspeed GT3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer not with Civic

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    The easiest solution would be a small fold up utility trailer. Sears and Harbor Freight have them. I was looking at a Tad Pole when I first got back into Cycling and thought it would be a bear to transport even in my SUV. Not a chance it would fit in my old compact. Nixed the trike idea for now, I finally got a road bike, but will keep the SUV if the time comes when I ever get a trike.
    Alas, there are all sorts of warnings in the Honda Civic Hybrid's manual against hauling a trailer. However, my warranty is up in October, at which point I could put on a hitch, at least for a hitch-mounted rack, like a Draftmaster.

Still...if it's not too much trouble, it would be great to fit my Greenspeed GT3 in the trunk. I may just have to experiment with taking off the wheels.

Laid Back Cycles
    My Bikes
    Greenspeed, TerraTrike, KMX, Trident
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laid Back Cycles uses these to carry Recumbent Trikes

I found a couple ideas on here about transporting terra trike bikes but not enough ideas.
    We have two trikes but I need some better ideas. And a picture of two on the back of a car if any one has available pictures. And give me an idea how much all this cost. Hoping there is a solution other than buying a truck.

Can't wait for spring weather to break in Ohio. we still have snow on the ground .
    38.jpg

Laid Back Cycles in Fair Oaks CA offer about 5 different styles of racks to carry your trike on cars and trucks.

You can contact them at info@laidbackcycles.com

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a hitch rack that is designed to carry two tadpole trikes. Name is a Draftmaster HR-2T. List price for the entire setup is around $1000.

Parent company name appears to be Atoc.

http://atoc.com/draftmastertrike.php
    http://atoc.com/specifications.php

There is also one from a company called "Hitch Rider" I found this picture of one:
    http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1325343652