Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First real ride of 2011 - encourgement welcome

I haven't rode much for the last 6 months, Family and health issues have wrecked havoc on my schedule and fitness.

Today, before the onset of sleet, rain, snow and generally pissy weather I took out my new Colnago for a ride. I was ready for 5 miles but did a 10 mile loop. I also chased down another rider my age (and paid for it). I cannot say it was pleasant but the ride was good. The wool jersey w/hoodie and 50+ jacket were great.

I've also signed up for the Tour De Canal - 184 miles of C&O canal in two days this September. I now have a cross bike which should make it easier. I also picked up some nice Specialized Raval wheels.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like spring training has started.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it moving.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having an event to train for will make it real. Ride as much as possible!

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden like maybe 5 miles this year. Good on ya for getting out. And we're expecting snow tonight and tomorrow. Damn.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden 0 miles this year... I'd settle for a 10-mile ride. I'm afraid this will be a year of riding for fitness alone, not events.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Having an event to train for will make it real. Ride as much as possible!
    I built my Ritchey cross bike last year and am looking forward to riding the C&O on something better than the MTB I used in 2006. That was an exhausting two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I've ridden 0 miles this year... I'd settle for a 10-mile ride. I'm afraid this will be a year of riding for fitness alone, not events.
    These last few years family crisis come up during the first week of October - killing my planned Seagull Century ride each time. I happened to be under trained for the ride but it's been frustrating. Normally I can only ride by commuting to work. I plan to do that again as part of my fitness goals. The event in September and October will give me a reason to push harder - friends who donate in my name have a way of ensuring that.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert,
    I was going to simply extend my best wishes to you for the C&O ride and then I saw your sig line. I am happy to support your effort, and have done so on your donor page. My father died of Alzheimer's 18 years ago at the age of 68. As I approach 60, I do a mental check every day to see if I can detect the slightest sign that I would be the next in our family to experience this horrific disease. When I ride my bike, I feel as I can conquer whatever the world throws at me. I hope your ride fills you with the same sense of accomplishment and that it helps find a cure for this devastating disease. God speed.
    ~pam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got out and rode today! My father in law also died of Alzheimers a year ago. He had the unfortunate luck to live for almost ten years after diagnosis. It was a horrific ordeal. The last two years of his life were hell for him and everyone around him. My husband is fearful of getting the disease, too. He has thought about being tested for the gene (they do that now), but it wouldn't change anything. So far at 57 he has no signs. His mother is over 80 and sharp. Hopefully he carried her genes.

Ride and ride! Soon you cold weather people will be able to get out and about.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    These last few years family crisis come up during the first week of October - killing my planned Seagull Century ride each time. I happened to be under trained for the ride but it's been frustrating. Normally I can only ride by commuting to work. I plan to do that again as part of my fitness goals. The event in September and October will give me a reason to push harder - friends who donate in my name have a way of ensuring that.
    I'm very sorry for my glib reply -- the result of reading your post too hastily and responding even more hastily. I encourage you to train for the event --- it surely helps to have a goal to pursue... and it doesn't hurt to also have a new bike and wheels.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done on the initial ride of 2011. You've gotten your feet wet, so you can jump in and have at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that you got out, robtown. That September ride will be a great motivator.

I have yet to see the pavement from a bicycle seat this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's tough when family crisis arise.

Here's hoping for a better year for you and your family, and many safe and care-free miles.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcq View Post
    Robert,
    I was going to simply extend my best wishes to you for the C&O ride and then I saw your sig line. I am happy to support your effort, and have done so on your donor page. My father died of Alzheimer's 18 years ago at the age of 68. As I approach 60, I do a mental check every day to see if I can detect the slightest sign that I would be the next in our family to experience this horrific disease. When I ride my bike, I feel as I can conquer whatever the world throws at me. I hope your ride fills you with the same sense of accomplishment and that it helps find a cure for this devastating disease. God speed.
    ~pam
    Thank you for your support; I was trying to identify the new donor and figured it might be a BF member. My father at 85 has dementia and that scares me. Altzheimer's is even more frightening. Physical activity keeps all of us healthier at BF and I hope it will keep you stronger in body and mind.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all need to be thankful for our health because when it's gone, nothing else matters.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job, doubled your mileage! The Tour de Canal sounds like an exciting event. Keep training you'll get there.
    Make mine a double!