User Tag List

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camino Real Double

The Camino Real Double, starting in Irvine, CA, was the first double of the season and it started out wet. It rained all night before and the weather forecast was not good for the day. I took advantage of the early start and started at 5:30am, the mass start was at 6:15. I didnít any of the usual suspects I ride with during most of the doubles I ride. The first 9 miles are downhill and fast, but being in a city there are traffic lights to slow you down. Then it was time to start doing some climbing and working our way to the beach. Once we were on PCH we started working our way south through Laguna Beach, Dana Point, San Clemente and as far south as Oceanside.

Along the way there was a mini stop at Dana Point for water and limited snacks and a full rest stop at a campground south of San Clemente. While I was at the rest stop in the campground it started to rain. It didnít look like it was going to be a very hard rain so I did put my rain jacket on opting to just us the light jacket I had on already. I left the rest stop heading south towards Oceanside with one major obstacle in the way, a 7 mile ride down I-5. It was now pouring down rain, so much for not raining hard, and the traffic didnít slow down for the rain. I hooked-up with a rider to try get through this section a little faster, but couldnít stay behind him because of the rooster tail he was throwing up. Finally the off ramp for Oceanside appeared and off I-5 we went.
    Once youíre in Oceanside itís time to head east to the lunch stop on the round-about way to Fallbrook and Bonsall. When you leave Oceanside its 7 miles on a bike path before getting back on the roads. I figured this way safest section of the ride since I had just been on I-5 in pouring down rain with traffic going 70+ mph, wrong. As I was about to leave the path I went under a bridge and made a right turn. There stopped in the middle of my lane was a jogger. I grabbed my brakes and being wet they didnít stop all that well. He never moved and I couldnít maneuver around him since I was now skidding. I hit him dead center, I didnít knock him down if fact he help hold me up since I didnít even have time to unclip and get a foot down. Neither one of us was hurt and all we did was just look at each other.

Lunch was the usual Subway sandwiches, sodas, chips, snacks and a few minutes of the bike. Right after lunch starts some major climbing and it is always fun with full stomach. The climb didnít seem that bad this year and I was up over it quickly. I was headed back to Oceanside after Bosall when the afternoon head winds kicked in. I hooked up with 2 other riders and we pace lined to Oceanside.

On its time to get back on I-5 and head north, but this time no rain, just fast cars. I got back to the rest stop in the campground south of San Clemente and saw some friends who were working the stop, Lynn and John. As I was putting my lights on my bike the weather didnít look that good. I left the rest stop headed to San Clemente and by the time I got there it started to rain. I did even have time to get my rain jacket out before it was a downpour and I was soaked. Within minutes the roads were flooded and then it started to hail, ouch that hurt, the hail was the size of large peas. I was riding on flood roads with cars slashing water on me in pouring down rain, fun. To top it off the temperature dropped and it was getting cold as the sun was setting.

I was now working my way back to Irvine in the rain, cold and dark through I donít know how many towns. The towns all run together and it is hard to tell when you go from one to another. I was getting tired and just before the last rest stop I found a Jack in the Box and stopped and had a burger, fries and a coke. I dropped down a hill to the last rest stop, checked in and quickly left for the final 25 miles. This ride is back loaded with most of the big climbs at the end. The climbs are through dark rural areas on roads with no shoulders. I finally found some friend on a tandem that I had been looking for all day and was able to ride in with them. At time when we were coming down some of the hills it was raining so hard that the rain hurt our face as it hit you.
    We finished the ride fifteen minute before the cutoff time wet, it had rained for the last 6 hours and cold, the temp was 40 degrees for most of that time. Now it was off for a warm shower and some food.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a stud. Sounded brutal.

Congratulations on a wet and scary double.. The encounter with the jogger was nuts!
    I don't know why people can not just get to one side or the other, I see them stopped right in the middle a lot.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. I'm always amazed at the range of human abilities, and biking is a good example. Abilities range from people who get tired riding their bikes around the block, to someone like me, to someone like you, to someone like Lance Armstrong.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds awful. Is this the one that was called "Butterfield" and people were calling it "Butterflood" after a rainy ride?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have successfully complete one double under near-ideal weather conditions, but I don't think I would be up to what you just went through. Congrats!
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    You're a stud. Sounded brutal.

Congratulations on a wet and scary double.. The encounter with the jogger was nuts!
    I don't know why people can not just get to one side or the other, I see them stopped right in the middle a lot.
    Thanks! I don't know about being a stud, I sometimes wonder about my mental state when I'm doing these.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had several friends ride it. It did not sound easy, and certainly required perserverance to make it to the end.

Congrats!

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 miles. OK
    Hills. OK
    Darkness. OK
    Cold. OK.

But 200 miles in rain? I just can't imagine that. Heck, Tricia and I did a 30-mile rain ride and I was never so happy to have a ride be over. From my viewpoint, there is no joy after 10 wet miles.

So, congratulations to you! I continue to be impressed and amazed.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com óó Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That most certainly qualifies as a HTFU effort. I have yet to attempt a double century and am envious and respectful of guys and gals who complete them. I have a portable rear fender that I take on wet rides that at least keeps my butt dry for a while. If I was riding a double century, and it began raining, for the rest of the ride I would have been berating myself for forgetting the fender.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    I had several friends ride it. It did not sound easy, and certainly required perserverance to make it to the end.

Congrats!
    Must be the Bullshifters! I saw them several times during the day and even at dinner after the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    200 miles. OK
    Hills. OK
    Darkness. OK
    Cold. OK.

But 200 miles in rain? I just can't imagine that. Heck, Tricia and I did a 30-mile rain ride and I was never so happy to have a ride be over. From my viewpoint, there is no joy after 10 wet miles.

So, congratulations to you! I continue to be impressed and amazed.
    Thanks Curtis! You could do it, remember I've seen you out there on doubles. Are you doing any doubles this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    That most certainly qualifies as a HTFU effort. I have yet to attempt a double century and am envious and respectful of guys and gals who complete them. I have a portable rear fender that I take on wet rides that at least keeps my butt dry for a while. If I was riding a double century, and it began raining, for the rest of the ride I would have been berating myself for forgetting the fender.
    Thanks, I sometimes wonder about my sanity. Knowing there was a chance of rain I had the fenders installed on the bike when I left the start line.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    Must be the Bullshifters! I saw them several times during the day and even at dinner after the ride.
    Yes, it was the Bullshifters! I will be riding the double at the Grand Tour with them in June. I finished a 300k (it was actually 197 miles) with 5 of them who rode Camino Real in December.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your finish! I am glad I opted out and didn't start. I saved the SAG driver some gas money, I never would have finished in those conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, DanteB; what a fantastic accomplishment in the most trying of conditions. Hope you give yourself a well-deserved reward.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on a great accomplishment. Any more the centuries are all I can handle. Not sure I would have ever tackled what was on your plate. Great job.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Congratulations on your finish! I am glad I opted out and didn't start. I saved the SAG driver some gas money, I never would have finished in those conditions.
    I didn't see you at the start and was wondering what happened to you. It was a hard double with all the wet conditions. Do you have any other doubles planned?
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks pmcq and Phil85207. I didn't think the day would get that bad. Now that you're out there that else can you do but finish.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see you at the start and was wondering what happened to you. It was a hard double with all the wet conditions. Do you have any other doubles planned?
    I'm hoping to do Hemet and Davis.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    I'm hoping to do Hemet and Davis.
    I should be at both.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ride Dante. Sounds like almost as much fun as Butterflood in what, '06? Which is where I met you, as I recall.

Sorry I couldn't join you but I was in England by then, still in England now. I did get in one short bike ride (on a borrowed Look carbon w/SRAM), but quite short compared to your double. I really wanted to ride that one to get my 50th, but work came first. Hope to see you on Spring Solvang, which will be right after I get back from Taiwan. Lots of bike business travel in Feb. and Mar. for me.

I know we've had rain on Solvang Spring in the past too, so I might get a double in the rain after all!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should be at both.
    At least one of the Bullshifters has mentioned Hemet. I am looking to see if that can fit in my schedule.

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Good ride Dante. Sounds like almost as much fun as Butterflood in what, '06? Which is where I met you, as I recall.

Sorry I couldn't join you but I was in England by then, still in England now. I did get in one short bike ride (on a borrowed Look carbon w/SRAM), but quite short compared to your double. I really wanted to ride that one to get my 50th, but work came first. Hope to see you on Spring Solvang, which will be right after I get back from Taiwan. Lots of bike business travel in Feb. and Mar. for me.

I know we've had rain on Solvang Spring in the past too, so I might get a double in the rain after all!

Rick / OCRR
    I was wondering where you were, of course I could have dropped you a PM. The Butterflood was '05, I had to look it up. I think the Butterflood rained for a longer time, had more flooded roads with mud, but this year the rain was colder. The weather for Death Valley this year isn't looking much better, some weather sites are even calling for snow showers.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    At least one of the Bullshifters has mentioned Hemet. I am looking to see if that can fit in my schedule.
    I hope the Bullshifters will be there. What would a double be without somewhere along the route you didn't hear "Bullshifters 2 minutes".
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope the Bullshifters will be there. What would a double be without somewhere along the route you didn't hear "Bullshifters 2 minutes".
    ROFL... that is distinctive. I have ridden with ABC (Arizona Bicycle Club) chapters for 7 years, and joined the Bullshifters in December. I rode a couple of Saturday rides, then the Vulture Mine 300k (which was kind of informal). I then rode the Casa Grande Century with the Bullshifters in January. A fun group to ride with.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather for Death Valley this year isn't looking much better, some weather sites are even calling for snow showers.
    Not a problem for you, right? Is there anything that will keep you from starting a ride?