User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Unless you are racing or mountain biking a recumbent bike will relieve all that pain.
    It wouldn't relieve my elbow pain since it hurts to squeeze a brake lever. Since my shoulder seems to be very easily aggravated even by some of the gentle PT exercises, riding a recumbent may not favor it either. In any case, I have 2 nice bikes that I'd like to ride again and don't want to spend the money on a recumbent unless I know it's the only way I'll ever ride again. Thanks, though.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khosch View Post
    I had tennis elbow and it was really killing me - couldn't get a plate down from the cupboard with my left hand. This went on for months.

Then I got the small (red) flexbar exerciser (from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067E4YU ) and followed these instructions:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Flexbar-The-...t-Tennis-Elbow .

And in about a week it was cured - no kidding. It is really easy but it hurts initially because the elbow is in such pain.

It really really works!
    My PT sent me home with the red one last night. I'll do that exercise (the one in the video) tonight and every day as recommended in the video and instructions I read elsewhere on-line. They had me doing some other exercises with the Flexbar... don't understand why not this one since the instructions are wrapped around it inside the wrapper.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I remain hopeful!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Electra Townie; Bianchi Via Nirone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - you sent me a message, but I can't respond since I have not posted 50 public messages. That seems a bit whack, doesn't it?
    At any rate, when I started the flexbar it really did hurt to do the exercise so I only did 5 or 10 reps and one set. But I did a set every few hours and in a couple of days I could do 15 reps at a time. In a week or so it didn't hurt but I continued to do the exercise for about a week. That was months ago and I am still pain-free. However, I only had pain in my elbow - not in my shoulder.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always something, isn't it! Darn if now I don't have some kind of muscle pull right above the top of my achilles-on the same leg as the knee that is still tender. I've started pedaling with most of the effort using one leg.

Good luck with the elbow, shoulder, etc.
    Ride your Ride!!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - you sent me a message, but I can't respond since I have not posted 50 public messages. That seems a bit whack, doesn't it?
    At any rate, when I started the flexbar it really did hurt to do the exercise so I only did 5 or 10 reps and one set. But I did a set every few hours and in a couple of days I could do 15 reps at a time. In a week or so it didn't hurt but I continued to do the exercise for about a week. That was months ago and I am still pain-free. However, I only had pain in my elbow - not in my shoulder.
    Yeh, that's kinda wacky -- maybe they want to be sure people will stick around before they send private messages.

Thank you for the details. I've done quite a bit of reading about it on-line, with some comments saying this exercise should cause pain --- not excruciating, but there should be some pain, unlike other exercises. Also read to do 3 sets of 5 reps each day, and then 3 sets of 15 when strength improves. I did this exercise last night for the first time, and it sure reveals my poor range of motion in my shoulder and internal rotation of my arms!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know if anyone mention this exercise.It is one i used when i had tennis elbow. It is called hammer curls,it goes like this, use a light object can goods dumbell etc and do a hammer motion, it took mine away.then you can increase the weight as it gets stronger.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    I dont know if anyone mention this exercise.It is one i used when i had tennis elbow. It is called hammer curls,it goes like this, use a light object can goods dumbell etc and do a hammer motion, it took mine away.then you can increase the weight as it gets stronger.
    Thanks, I'll try it. I'll try anything!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean you did 1 set every few hours throughout the day, every day? That would be several sets a day. I've been doing 3 sets 1x/day as recommended. Doing them as shown in the video hurts my shoulder so I'm doing a modified version as follows: keeping my elbows bent at my sides throughout the exercise, I hold the flexbar in my affected hand with my wrist fully extended, twist the other end with my left (unaffected) hand, then slowly untwist it with my affected hand to a fully-flexed position. I do 3 sets of 15 once a day (I began with 5 reps each set).
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12