Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wife thinks we'll be fixing flats on our rides.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wife thinks we'll be fixing flats on our rides.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 08:44 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
..., but I'd hope a tyre that can withstand a thumb tack to withstand a thorn.
Anecdotally, my kids had Mr Tuffys between their tires & tubes when they were younger, and they still got plenty of flats. Since it was the wife's idea to put them in, I suggested that she fix all of the kids' flats henceforth. There was no complaint when I ripped them out, with extreme prejudice...
Old 02-25-11, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up at that library!
Old 02-26-11, 04:29 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
They will work their way down through the rubber and into the tube making a very tiny, but leaky, needlehole in the tube, simply by the flexing of the tire.

Next time I see a few, I will mail them to you and you can try them out.
How long do they last before they start to rot or mould? I wouldn't ship them internationally because I can see UK customs having issues with them but if they'd last a while I can see if a friend in the US would be willing to hang onto them for me until I'm next over.

I see the point you're making about the flexing of the tube, I guess I just don't quite get how tough these things are.
Old 02-26-11, 05:31 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
The mountain bikers use tubeless or tube-type with Stan's conversion.
I've been using tubeless on the road for three years without a flat (tempting fate, touch wood, etc).

I use tubeless specific rims and tyres (Shimano / Hutchinson) but I know people who successfully use Stan's conversions. Your LBS can advise on suitable rim/tyre combinations.

I renew the sealant every spring and, so far, haven't found any evidence of punctures, but I've seen plenty of tyres that seem to have received multiple holes and the Stan's sealant has formed a small plug inside the tyre and done its job.

The system also eliminates pinch flats.

There are other advantages such as lower rolling resistance and a smoother ride because it's possible to run as efficiently at a lower pressure.

Okay, sales pitch over ;-)

Last edited by ThatBritBloke; 02-26-11 at 05:33 AM. Reason: format error
Old 02-26-11, 08:30 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything we use to counter Goat Head Thorns, glass, screws, nails, tacks, etc. is going to add weight to our bikes. And to some of us who spent lots of extra ca$h on our bikes for extra-light frames, components and hardware - it's frustrating.

I mean, here I am with a fine titanium frame, carbon fiber seat post and handlebars, even titanium screws in my shifters and derailers - and I'm running the bicycle equivalent to combat boots for tires and tubes. It just defeats the whole thing.

And yet, I would rather have the rotating weight than spend half my time fixing flats along the road - or walking home. That sucks!
Old 02-26-11, 09:04 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Your wife WINS . . . you are WRONG !
Old 02-27-11, 03:15 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xizangstan
Anything we use to counter Goat Head Thorns, glass, screws, nails, tacks, etc. is going to add weight to our bikes. And to some of us who spent lots of extra ca$h on our bikes for extra-light frames, components and hardware - it's frustrating.

I mean, here I am with a fine titanium frame, carbon fiber seat post and handlebars, even titanium screws in my shifters and derailers - and I'm running the bicycle equivalent to combat boots for tires and tubes. It just defeats the whole thing.

And yet, I would rather have the rotating weight than spend half my time fixing flats along the road - or walking home. That sucks!
I suppose the decision is whether to carry extra weight in your wheels or extra weight in the form of multiple spare tubes.
Old 02-27-11, 09:44 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of Dura-Ace clincher/tubeless rims and have yet to try the tubeless tires and stems because I wasn't sure how you would fix a flat if you got one.

And as far as goat-heads go they will last for many months if they aren't is a wet area. In the dry desert they last till someone runs over one however long that takes.

They come from a plant called of all things the Puncture vine.
Old 02-27-11, 10:03 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Shucks, I'm always late for the beatings! You wife is correct, fix the flat then ride on. If she packs up some snacks ahead of time, she can get them ready while you fix the flat.
I love it! Pack "flat food!" Maybe a Fat Tire beer, too!
Old 02-27-11, 10:32 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by colpatrick
I'm telling her that whoever DOESN't get the flat drives back to the car and picks up the stranded rider. Don't think it's realistic to carry a tire kit and pump for the type of riding we'll be doing. I'm looking at 10-25 milers for the most part.
Who's being realistic?
It's always realistic to carry a pump and patch kit.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-27-11, 03:20 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I've been persuaded.

Any recommendations on a flat repair kit to carry?
Old 02-27-11, 03:29 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Spare tube(s), CO2 inflator, and frame pump. Any bike shop will have patch kits for ~ $5.

I remove the punctured tube and install a new one, then inflate. I patch the bad tube while I'm sitting around watching TV or when I have nothing to do. Much easier than when sitting at the side of the road.

How to fix a flat ->> https://www.intownbicycles.com/how-to...t-bicycle-tire

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 02-27-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-27-11, 03:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Spare tube(s), CO2 inflator, and frame pump. Any bike shop will have patch kits for ~ $5.

I remove the punctured tube and install a new one, then inflate. I patch the bad tube while I'm sitting around watching TV or when I have nothing to do. Much easier than when sitting at the side of the road.

And don't forget the tire levers!

It would be a really, really good idea to practice taking the tire off and on, especially on the rear wheel. It would suck to be out in the middle of nowhere and discover that you have especially tight-fitting tires.
Old 02-27-11, 05:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
And don't forget the tire levers!

It would be a really, really good idea to practice taking the tire off and on, especially on the rear wheel. It would suck to be out in the middle of nowhere and discover that you have especially tight-fitting tires.
And don't forget to find what caused the flat and fix it. It really sucks to repair a tire only to have it go flat again right away because the thorn, nail, wire or whatever it was that punctured the tube was left in the tire.
Old 02-27-11, 05:11 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by colpatrick
Ok, I've been persuaded.

Any recommendations on a flat repair kit to carry?
  • Spare tube in the correct size(s) for your bike(s). -- About $5
  • Small patch kit (Park Tools or the one in the green box) -- About $3
  • Pair of tire levers (I prefer Pedro's big yellow ones) -- About $4
  • Seat bag to carry the above, your ID, keys and an emergency snack -- About $12
  • Tire pump (I like the Topeak RoadMorph G with built-in gauge) -- About $35

If you're going to go out only in pairs, you can get by with one pump between the two of you. Extra mounts are available move it between bikes. However, each bike should have its own bag and patch kit.

Even if you don't learn how and practice, (Remember the free lessons at Full Moon Vista), it's good etiquette to have these things available for when a Good Samaritan stops to help. It's also good karma to stop and offer to help others.

Last edited by tsl; 02-27-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-27-11, 05:54 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH

^^^^^ correct ^^^^^^^

I wish now I had devoted more time in my original "your wife is right" post to formulating a cleverly humiliating response to the OP! (just kidding OP!)
Old 02-27-11, 06:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
^^^^^ correct ^^^^^^^

I wish now I had devoted more time in my original "your wife is right" post to formulating a cleverly humiliating response to the OP! (just kidding OP!)
Not quite correct. If you don't find the cause of the flat, you likely will be doing a repeat, and hope you have two tubes or a great patch kit.
Old 02-27-11, 09:30 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I'm with you, I've done 100s of 20 mile rides with no kit. However, being with you means we'll both be self-rescuing every once and awhile by hiking 5+ miles to a shop. It's inevitable.

There are times when you just don't want to take stuff. You got a rescue rider with you? Works for me.
Old 02-28-11, 08:58 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Not quite correct. If you don't find the cause of the flat, you likely will be doing a repeat, and hope you have two tubes or a great patch kit.
^^^^^ annoyingly correct! ^^^^^^
Old 02-28-11, 10:11 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
I suppose the decision is whether to carry extra weight in your wheels or extra weight in the form of multiple spare tubes.
Ah, but the extra weight in the wheels is rotating weight, which is worse.
Old 02-28-11, 10:11 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Body weight is directly proportional to the amount of flat tires. With all other things being equal, more weight on the tire drives glass, thorns and etc into the tire. Historically, I get more flats per mile than my wife does riding the same terrain. Last season, I tried Michelin Pro Race 3 tires. They are light and supple offering great road feel. Previously, I used Continental GP 4000s. Typically, I inspect the tires before each ride. I noticed the Pro Race 3s had tiny micro cuts appearing in the tires. Generally, upon pre-ride inspection, I will remove a piece of glass or a sharp stone that has embedded in the tire but not far enough to puncture. What happens is over time, some of the embedded objects finally make they way to the tube.

I had to fix a flat on the Pro Race 3 and while deflated, closely inspected the micro cuts by squeezing the tire, exposing the cut and probing it with a sharp point of a knife. In general, each one had a tiny foreign object in it. I went over the tire and picked out about 30 pieces. I replaced the tire. I am phasing out the Pro Race 3s and going back to the GP 4000s. The 4000s tires do not embed debris and IMO ride and handle as nice.

Take away... inspect your tires and probe cracks for glass and etc. Many flats happen long after the glass is initially picked up.
Old 02-28-11, 10:12 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
And don't forget to find what caused the flat and fix it. It really sucks to repair a tire only to have it go flat again right away because the thorn, nail, wire or whatever it was that punctured the tube was left in the tire.
I made that mistake once. Once.
Old 02-28-11, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
Being from the east I have no experience with goatheads. How do they end up on the pavement?
They migrate.
Old 02-28-11, 11:30 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
Ah, but the extra weight in the wheels is rotating weight, which is worse.
True, but is it sufficiently worse to warrant the loss of time it takes to deal with a puncture?
Old 03-01-11, 06:44 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a mini pump, CO2 cartridge, tube and repair kit in my Camelbak. I have had to fix one flat on a ride. I may have had worse luck without the pump and tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.