Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm just upset

Making a long story more boring. In 2007 I had some swelling and pain issues in my right knee. Went to see the Ortho doc, MRI done and she says its a slight tear in the meniscus, barely visible on the MRI. She says " I can go in there and clean it up" I say "if its not too bad can we wait to see if I can bike and hike this year without too much trouble" she agrees cause she isn't one to suggest surgery at the drop of a hat. I like her. Fast forward to last week. I'm gettin some pain and swelling in the same knee. Gotta go back and have her check it out again. I'm thinkin if she reccomends arthorscopy I'll have it done this time. How many of you folks have had this surgery and how was the recovery? I know everyone is different but I'd like to know some of the stories anyway. I'm wondering if on down the line a knee replacement is in my future. I've been walking around on concrete for 42 years and its taken a toll for sure. Man gettin old isn't for sissies is it?
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the original title forgot it wouldn't pass muster. My bad
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bucket handle tear in my left knee when I was about your age. It was hard work getting the knee strong again. It was the best thing I have done for the tear. I tried doing other things to adapt to the discomfort. All that does is tear other parts of your body down. I couldn't believe how much improvement I experienced. I could get up and down working around the house so much better. Biking became the best therapy for rehabbing the knee. Because my experience was so positive, I give the tear repair a big thumbs up. Just know that several months of your life will be disrupted. After that you will enjoy your life a lot more.

Good luck and God's Best to you.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this surgery on my right knee in 2008 -- two small tears. It got so bad I could hardly walk down to the mailbox.
    The sports med doc said after the surgery my hiking days may be numbered or maybe no hiking at all, but I could ride till I was a hundred. He was right about the hiking. But after 3 years I can hike ok. Never was much of a hiker anyway. And riding, no problems at all. In fact, I still have almost 34 years of riding to look forward to.

Good luck with the surgery and PT afterward.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tore the medial meniscus badly in my left knee.....oh 25 years or so ago. Scoped it and no problems since. Shouldn't really need to be said around here but..............DO THE THERAPY or stay home and watch TV forever. I've had 7 knee surgeries between the two knees. They are beginning to deteriorate from age,abuse and being a fat bastid but they're far better than they were. Again don't skip the therapy or ignore medical advice if you want to get better.
    I owe-therefore I am.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice thanks for that.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
    Making a long story more boring. In 2007 I had some swelling and pain issues in my right knee. Went to see the Ortho doc, MRI done and she says its a slight tear in the meniscus, barely visible on the MRI. She says " I can go in there and clean it up" I say "if its not too bad can we wait to see if I can bike and hike this year without too much trouble" she agrees cause she isn't one to suggest surgery at the drop of a hat. I like her. Fast forward to last week. I'm gettin some pain and swelling in the same knee. Gotta go back and have her check it out again. I'm thinkin if she reccomends arthorscopy I'll have it done this time. How many of you folks have had this surgery and how was the recovery? I know everyone is different but I'd like to know some of the stories anyway. I'm wondering if on down the line a knee replacement is in my future. I've been walking around on concrete for 42 years and its taken a toll for sure. Man gettin old isn't for sissies is it?
    Its very rare -- at least in my experience -- that you go to the doctor and get serious tangible value for your $$$. But I felt that way when I got arthroscopic surgery on my left knee about 8 years ago.
    It got to the point where I sometimes struggled to walk across the room. Rode a century a few weeks ago. My repaired knee is stronger than my other. Recovery was a nuisance, but not really that bad at all. I got permission to ride a bike before I got permission to walk on it! I remember getting on and off the bike from crutches and carrying a cell phone for my wife to come get me if I had flat or a breakdown. The doc gave me a printout with all these different rehab exercises, but I told him: "I'm not really going to do all this @#^%$##$! Is it okay if I just ride my bike instead?" He agreed and it worked out great.

I had meniscus damage and "necrosis of the femur" from an injury when I was 14 and things were gradually getting worse and worse. The doc did some kind of drilling into the ends of the bone which stimulated some kind of faux cartilage to be exuded as well as cleaning up the meniscus and sewing up a tear.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had both done years ago and they were both miracle cures. I suffered for two years before I got the first one done. Wound up over working the other knee to compensate. Not a good idea. Go for it.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In '96 my left knee started giving me problems when I was training for an amateur body-building contest & teaching about 8-12 Jazzercise and step classes/wk. I did a 30-day course of anti-inflammatory drug therapy that obviously wasn't enough. My orthopod told me I could have the surgery anytime -- he let me decide that I needed the surgery.

I did the rehab exercises beginning 4 wks. prior to the procedure, as well as after. That was key. Two months post-surgery I was teaching a full load of classes and had taken up running. Didn't ride a bike much then although my doc said that was a very good alternative to my other activities.

So rehab & patience...you should be fine. And pain-free is a great way to live.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been pain free for 10 years but I'll take one knee without pain as a start