Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Who is up for the challenge? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/715624-who-up-challenge.html)

NOS88 02-24-11 06:44 AM

Who is up for the challenge?
 
Unigeezer's thread http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...!On-a-UNICYCLE! got me thinking. Where about the 10 steepest street climbs in the USA. Then I started wondering how many of them I could do. Here's a link to the 10 steepest streets in the USA: http://current.com/news/92671574_the...in-the-u-s.htm

Anyone up for the challenge?

Hermes 02-24-11 10:39 AM

You could do them all. It is a matter of gearing. I suspect that the bicycle messengers on fixies do the climbs in SF routinely. Each year, there is a ride in SF that climbs all the tough hills in the city. I think an interesting trip for you would be to do the city climbs in SF as well as all the big climbs in the bay area including Mount Tam, Mount Diablo, Mount Hamilton, Bonny Doon, Sierra Road, Kings Mountain, Old La Honda, Tunitas Creek and Highway 9 to the top of Skyline. I have not done the city climbs but have done all the rest except for Bonny Doon and I have raced up all of them except Bonny Doon and Highway 9. Now that would be one great week of cycling.

Allegheny Jet 02-24-11 12:28 PM

I'll be attending Climbing Camp in North Central PA in early April for the 2nd year. I also plan on riding Pittsburgh’s Dirty Dozen that has 2 of the hills listed. That should be enough climbing for this fat and old sprinter.:innocent:

StephenH 02-24-11 12:39 PM

I notice none of them are in the Dallas area for some reason, so it'll probably be a while before I ever lay eyes on any of them.

They made special cog-railway locomotives for some of the steep railroads, where the whole thing was built on a slant. No reason you couldn't do that with a bike, and throw in a jackshaft for some extra reduction in gearing.

kr32 02-24-11 01:24 PM

101 climbs on the street Unigeezer did in one day!
That is what I call hill repeats

NOS88 02-24-11 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 12273760)
I'll be attending Climbing Camp in North Central PA in early April for the 2nd year. I also plan on riding Pittsburgh’s Dirty Dozen that has 2 of the hills listed. That should be enough climbing for this fat and old sprinter.:innocent:

I've done both in Pittsburgh. It was a l-o-n-g day (but not measure in time, if you know what I mean).

Artkansas 02-24-11 01:52 PM

Looks like Californy is the place you ought to be. You could do 5 in one day, and two the next.

Call DG. There's some place worse than Texas St. in the San Diego area. ;)

RonH 02-24-11 05:05 PM

Wow, I never would have guessed there were so many in LA. I thought LA was sort of flat since it is on the coast.
Since none of the climbs are anywhere near Georgia I guess I'll opt out. ;)

rm -rf 02-24-11 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 12273825)
I notice none of them are in the Dallas area for some reason, so it'll probably be a while before I ever lay eyes on any of them.

They made special cog-railway locomotives for some of the steep railroads, where the whole thing was built on a slant. No reason you couldn't do that with a bike, and throw in a jackshaft for some extra reduction in gearing.

Check out this ultra low gear bike built just for the Fargo climb. With good balance, it'll climb anything. It's actually slower than walking up!
youtube video

Barrettscv 02-24-11 05:43 PM

I'm out. Roberts road @ 22 degrees is the steepest climb within 300 miles from where I live.

qcpmsame 02-24-11 06:04 PM

Um, being from Pensacola, Florida I'll have to ask, What is a hill? We are a coastal city and you can set a marble down most anywhere and it won't roll. I'd love to make the challenge but the west coast is just out of the question. Go for it NOS88 and keep us posted, please.

Bill

Digital Gee 02-24-11 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 12274278)
Looks like Californy is the place you ought to be. You could do 5 in one day, and two the next.

Call DG. There's some place worse than Texas St. in the San Diego area. ;)

Texas Street is a 1.5 mile stretch of 9-15% grade. I have never ridden up OR down it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.