Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is up for the challenge?

Unigeezer's thread http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...!On-a-UNICYCLE! got me thinking. Where about the 10 steepest street climbs in the USA. Then I started wondering how many of them I could do. Here's a link to the 10 steepest streets in the USA: http://current.com/news/92671574_the...in-the-u-s.htm

Anyone up for the challenge?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do them all. It is a matter of gearing. I suspect that the bicycle messengers on fixies do the climbs in SF routinely. Each year, there is a ride in SF that climbs all the tough hills in the city. I think an interesting trip for you would be to do the city climbs in SF as well as all the big climbs in the bay area including Mount Tam, Mount Diablo, Mount Hamilton, Bonny Doon, Sierra Road, Kings Mountain, Old La Honda, Tunitas Creek and Highway 9 to the top of Skyline. I have not done the city climbs but have done all the rest except for Bonny Doon and I have raced up all of them except Bonny Doon and Highway 9. Now that would be one great week of cycling.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be attending Climbing Camp in North Central PA in early April for the 2nd year. I also plan on riding Pittsburgh’s Dirty Dozen that has 2 of the hills listed. That should be enough climbing for this fat and old sprinter.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice none of them are in the Dallas area for some reason, so it'll probably be a while before I ever lay eyes on any of them.

They made special cog-railway locomotives for some of the steep railroads, where the whole thing was built on a slant. No reason you couldn't do that with a bike, and throw in a jackshaft for some extra reduction in gearing.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    101 climbs on the street Unigeezer did in one day!
    That is what I call hill repeats

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I'll be attending Climbing Camp in North Central PA in early April for the 2nd year. I also plan on riding Pittsburgh’s Dirty Dozen that has 2 of the hills listed. That should be enough climbing for this fat and old sprinter.
    I've done both in Pittsburgh. It was a l-o-n-g day (but not measure in time, if you know what I mean).
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Californy is the place you ought to be. You could do 5 in one day, and two the next.

Call DG. There's some place worse than Texas St. in the San Diego area.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I never would have guessed there were so many in LA. I thought LA was sort of flat since it is on the coast.
    Since none of the climbs are anywhere near Georgia I guess I'll opt out.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    I notice none of them are in the Dallas area for some reason, so it'll probably be a while before I ever lay eyes on any of them.

They made special cog-railway locomotives for some of the steep railroads, where the whole thing was built on a slant. No reason you couldn't do that with a bike, and throw in a jackshaft for some extra reduction in gearing.
    Check out this ultra low gear bike built just for the Fargo climb. With good balance, it'll climb anything. It's actually slower than walking up!
    youtube video

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm out. Roberts road @ 22 degrees is the steepest climb within 300 miles from where I live.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, being from Pensacola, Florida I'll have to ask, What is a hill? We are a coastal city and you can set a marble down most anywhere and it won't roll. I'd love to make the challenge but the west coast is just out of the question. Go for it NOS88 and keep us posted, please.

Bill

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Looks like Californy is the place you ought to be. You could do 5 in one day, and two the next.

Call DG. There's some place worse than Texas St. in the San Diego area.
    Texas Street is a 1.5 mile stretch of 9-15% grade. I have never ridden up OR down it.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay