Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange sensations

It's hard enough to console your younger sister on the loss of her husband, but then to find out that your 50 year old cousin is also recently widowed becomes a bit overwhelming!!

Male relatives are dropping like flies! It's time again to re-evaluate, time to remind myself, life is too short and unpredictable to get all engrossed in working and planning for the future. It's time again to re-enforce that life is to be enjoyed. I feel a mini-vacation coming on very soon. Maybe I'll even discover another swell bike shop someplace....
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 02-24-11 at 07:13 AM.

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear of the loss in your family... Re-evaluation of ones life is not always a bad thing, but conditions such as you have described don't make it a pleasant thing. I would hope all of us in this forum have been around long enough to know, that there are never any guarantees in life, and it should be enjoyed in the moment as much as possible. I wish you well in you "re-evaluation", but more so, I would just wish you happiness.
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing more precious than THIS day.

Sorry to hear of the losses in your life.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    It's time again to re-evaluate, time to remind myself, life is too short and unpredictable to get all engrossed in working and planning for the future.
    Yep. Dunno who said it (and it may be an exaggeration) but, "nobody ever died wishing they'd spent more time at the office."

...and condolences to your family on their (your) losses.

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condolences to you and your family, Cranky.
    Faster than a sundial.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your losses. A mini-vacation sounds like a great idea.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone once said something like "a permanent vacation is a state of mind." I try to live that way. It pisses people off, though.

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride for fun and to stay healthy.

Work isn't necessarily a bad thing. If it is, you probably need to change jobs! I've done lots of different things for a living, but have always been attracted to those things that are more like play than work. Farm & ranch real estate brokerage, aircraft broker, marina general manager. All were/are careers that I enjoyed so much it didn't seem like work.

Like riding a bike. We invest effort, but it's so darned fun that there's no work to it (except for those times we ride uphill into the wind on a cold day).

I say, live each day like it's our last. Do what you enjoy. And inflict more happiness on your fellow humans than misery.

And for God's sake... DON'T SMOKE!
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief!!

As we were driving away from my brother-in-laws funeral (my sister's husband) on the west side of town my bride turned her cell phone back on. There was a mesage from the east side of town...her younger brother had a stroke this morning.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the fact that most of us are reaching the age where our peers are beginning to leave us. However, my twenty-year-old son has been having a rash of friends die the past couple of years and that is a bit tougher to take. Someone above mentioned to not smoke. One of my son's friends died over winter break by falling off the window ledge he was sitting on (4th story) to smoke in what was supposed to be a smoke-free building. Another crashed his car into a tree the night of his brother's wedding. He was sober, but tired after serving as best man, flying most of the way home and then driving the last two hundred miles. Yet another died in a hospital because the attending staff didn't read his chart to see that he needed his breathing device.

Life is precious. Death may be inevitable, but let's make it work to hunt us down. Hopefully we can all make lots of joy for ourselves and others before the inevitable occurs. I'm sorry for your losses Lenny, but it looks like you are using them to spur yourself on the good things.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranky,
    First I am so sorry for the loses and for your brother-in-law's stroke. A lot of heart disease is not only smoking (I quit my pipes in 2000) and diet, it is hereditary. My father's family is rife with this. he died at 49 in 1976, his brother had a heart attack at 40, my grandfather on his side died from a stroke as did my grandmother. One sister had severe hypertension and many cousins have passed from this scourge. I ran for years until I fell at work. My BP went up slowly even though work keeps me very active on the jobsites. I listen to the doctor, take my Lisinopril and Niaspan religiously. You can only do what you can and work at keeping the risk factors down as much as possible.

I imagine your riding and lifestyle help out tremendously. The stress is what you control. You work where you can and hopefully at something you love. Don't let any depression creep in from this rash of bad circumstances, use your immediate family and your bicycle to help you out.

Your wife's brother in in my prayers as are you. best of luck my friend.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From one cranky cyclist to another... plan that vacation NOW... and while you're on it, plan the next!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    ... Death may be inevitable, but let's make it work to hunt us down.
    I love this. Another reason to get faster on my bike - I think it makes me harder to catch.

Seriously, I am sorry for your losses and hope that you will be able to start thinking and acting more in the present than looking forward to the future. My Mom kept busy planning for all of the things that she and my Dad would do someday when the time was right. They both died at 68 within months of each other, never having seen any of those plans come to pass. As trite as it sounds to some, Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero is an option worth considering.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Into each life, some rain must fall, but it seems it's been pouring on you and yours lately. My condolences.
    A sunny vacation is definitely in order.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been seeing my bike as life-saving medicine. Seriously. Fun, yes. But I honestly believe my "Lady Xizang" is extending my life.

We're all going to die. Every single one of us. We're all just passing through. But maybe we can stick around as long as possible, and stay healthy and viable as long as possible.

Meanwhile, I'm riding my bike and staying right as I can with God.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your losses.

It was kind of a rough year here, especially for my Dad's second wife's family. My step-sister lost her brother and her Dad within two weeks. The brother got left hooked on his motorcycle by a school bus and the Dad just died of old age.

I liked the brother and I feel pretty outraged by what happened to him. Seems that the bus driver just got a slap on the wrist. But it certainly was one of those wake up calls to me as well. Everything can end that fast. It got me working again to escape my hum-drum job.

That's probably why I wasn't too upset when I got laid off on New Year's Eve. And since I do have a little money, I can say that yes, unemployment is better than working in a bad job. I'm working on marketing a book that my Grandfather wrote 40 years ago but never got published and learning a lot.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the recent passing my 100+ -y-o stepmom, mortality has been more in mind than before; I've once again discussed some of it with family. With my daughter hitting the teens, she's having more thoughtful and involved conversations with me. This was one of them. What I covered was a reiteration that I DO NOT WANT MONEY SPENT FOOLISHLY ON MY FUNERAL/SENDOFF! I've said, my entire adult life, "If I could get away with it, I'd demand a couple Hefty bags and nothing else! Remember my LIFE, don't focus on my death!" Whatever's cheapest -- say your goodbyes, send my mortal clay on its way, and celebrate my life, preferably with a bike ride.

COD, just live -- everyone has a time, and yours will come when it comes. Hey -- maybe it takes all this family to clear your spot! And it may take a while!

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of all your woes. Life is truly precious and we should not take it for granted. I have been on vacation since I retired in 98 and am glad we had that time to RV many hundreds of thousands of miles visiting with the kids and grand kids across this great country. Not sure that we will be able to do that any more as my wife's health is not up to much travel now. I say you should do all you can while you can. Tomorrow is not promised. Good health is not promised either. Good luck in with your new vacation lifestyle.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranky, I can relate. I've had mortality on my mind a lot lately. That's all I want to say about that tonight. But I'm with you in spirit, COD. Be well.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    This was one of them. What I covered was a reiteration that I DO NOT WANT MONEY SPENT FOOLISHLY ON MY FUNERAL/SENDOFF! I've said, my entire adult life, "If I could get away with it, I'd demand a couple Hefty bags and nothing else! Remember my LIFE, don't focus on my death!" Whatever's cheapest -- say your goodbyes, send my mortal clay on its way, and celebrate my life, preferably with a bike ride.
    Yeah, embalming, coffins and tombstones are pretty bizarre actually, unless you need to preserve the body for a murder investigation. I'd rather my atoms get on to their next assignments as quickly as possible. I hate to be inactive.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 02-25-11 at 07:16 AM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranky, Sorry about the loss and pain for loved ones. It is important to seize the day, live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment with those you cherish.
    Take the vacation, say the things that are important to those close to you, appreciate others and allow them to appreciate you.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about what has happened. These things serve to remind us of our own mortality, sometimes with fear of the future. I hope that's not the case for you. I had an older brother killed in an oil field accident when I was 6. My parents took me to every funeral of family or friends from the time I was old enough to go. They wanted me to understand that we will all die, and that it is a part of life.

I'm pushing 60 and last year helped organize our class reunion. There were 142 in my graduating class. Last summer there were 117 still alive. Two more have since died.

From a group of 7 or us guys who were real, real close for years...two have died since we all turned 50 and one is in very, very poor health.

It's start of the fourth quarter, 2nd and 10, and we're up by 2 points deep in our own end zone. Don't be timid.

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our condolences on your family loses, I totally agree with the "time to take a vacation" ideals, we all need to get away, from the "stuff of life" and just enjoy being "alive", may you find only sunshine and tailwinds in your future outing!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, being converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refresh the Bucket List!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Refresh the Bucket List!
    +1
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast