Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't "Fitness" feel great!!

An ongoing episode...........

Finally seeing a little progress with the joints and overall fitness. I'm building up to comfortably do the longer rides and have done 3 fairly flat 65 milers on the weekends. I'm also back to doing 30 miles or so on Tuesday and Thursday nights at a little higher pace which helps both with weight reduction and cardio.

I think I'll try a solo 80 miler this weekend----sans any long climbs. The speed is way down but I am seeing a little progress.

There is still a lot of inflammation in my right knee which limits pushing hard on the pedals so sprints and steep hills are still off the menu. It also helps if I take a break as opposed to trying to do the 65 miles without stopping. My butt is getting reacclimated to sitting on a saddle for 4-6 hours---I was surprised it got so tender.

The interesting thing is over the last 3 weeks I've managed to rip off about 11 pounds of the additional weight I picked up from being non-disciplined with my diet and unable to exercise for several months. That was one of the more frustrating outcomes of this whole ordeal as I allowed myself to enjoy the additional calories so much. My wife joined Weight Watchers which also has helped me as she has improved her eating habits.

I think the doctor is on the right track with my meds. He's recommending I consider another med that would "block" reoccurences of the joint issues. He thinks the frequency, intensity and number of joints affected will most likely increase over time if I'm not taking something preventative. There is no rush on that decision but right now I'm leaning towards taking my chances.

Anyway, while I'm still a long ways away from being where I'd like to be it's great feeling a little more physically fit.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news jppe!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there jppe. That is good progress in that you are able to do several rides a week. Does activity assist in reducing the inflamations?
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great, Joe! It seems you're already far past where you hoped you'd be by this time. Hope you can get by without the additional medication; I would do some research on it first to see if there's any literature about it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great news.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe, i'm with you about how great fitness actually feels.

now, i'm thinking you should definitely keep us posted on your progress. some people think joint issues keep them from the kind of exercise you and i know makes us feel good. you might be an encouragement to others!

i know that cycling is much better for your joints (if you are positioned right and use gears carefully) than running, for example, due to lack of impact and less weight load.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Hang in there jppe. That is good progress in that you are able to do several rides a week. Does activity assist in reducing the inflamations?
    Great question. At this point the riding does not appear to be helping or making it worse. It is strengthing my leg muscles which helps overall. It also feels a little sore the day after. It is helping my psyche as much as anything!
    Ride your Ride!!

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the reverse to be true as well. If the weather is crappy or I have other things that have to be done instead of riding, the lack of exercise is painful. My leg muscles and joints ache from lack of exercise. And my mental disposition gets down. I hate that!

Bicycle exercise is an addictive drug.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are feeling better! One thing I noticed when I started riding a good amount:
    My right knee had developed a crackling noise that was annoying when I was in my late 40's. It was noticeable to others when I went up stairs. It didn't hurt for about a year, then with lots of walking it would be achy. I worried about it because I thought it meant my joints were starting to get tired. Fast forward to a year after taking up bike riding, some weight loss and working out. I concentrated on strengthening the muscles around my knees since my Grandfather had bad arthritis in his. I thought I might go the same route. For the last 6 months my knees are perfect! NO crackling, no achiness and full range of motion in both of them. I am a happy camper and attribute it to the biking with the constant round and round exercise my knees get and the built up muscles around them.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great going!! Just keep listening to your body. For me I am sure the exercise helps the joints, but that just me. Good luck
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see this.

There's research that discusses how a PMA is key to any kind of recovery. Good that you can ride and keep your spirits up. I hope your recovery continues in this direction.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep on keeping on.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.