Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Gee Yogi!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gee Yogi!!!

Tonight, I tried a free beginning yoga class that was being offered at the library. Who knew that remaining motionless could be such a workout. It seems that I was the only one with zero experience and it showed in my clumsiness and lack of flexibility.

But then again, there were about 12 women and 2 men, I like those odds.

The only problem was that the positions that required me to be on my knees definitely put me into a zone of pain. I had to go on a recovery ride afterwards, pedaling gently on flat streets, reminding my knees of what they were meant to do.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people think yoga is easy until they give it a try. I've been taking a yoga class at the Y this winter and love it.....it focuses on stretching.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always start by practicing redneck yoga.

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somethings look easy at first. There is a learning curve to just about everything under the sun.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your knees hurt you should let the instructor know and she/he should be able to modify the pose for you so you aren't in pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    The only problem was that the positions that required me to be on my knees definitely put me into a zone of pain.
    Get a yoga blanket to fold and put under your knees. (something like this http://www.sunshineyoga.com/yoga-blankets.html)
    Did you notice that the instructor was sitting (I'm guessing) on a folded blanket? My wife and I both have a blanket. It's a life saver, er... knee saver.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I do have a yoga mat from Target. Though I did notice that the instructor's was much thicker.

This class was a one-shot deal, but it gave me the glimpse I needed. My knees are still hurting a bit the day after, so I know its something to learn more about.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yoga mats are to lay on for lying down exercises and standing on for standing exercises.
    The blanket is used under your head when lying down, under your butt when sitting, and under your knees when kneeling. Fold it so the thickness is comfortable for each use.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz