Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-25-11, 09:12 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
I was run over by young kid texting

A 10 year old kid ran over me inside Sams Club..........pushing a shopping cart..........while texting.

Scary to think about him being on the road in just 5-6 years.
Old 02-25-11, 09:24 PM   #2
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
People, and especially the youth, seem to feel that their every thought and utterance must be of interest to someone. There is no place for being alone with one's own thoughts anymore.... and there are some serious dangers in it. It's a good reason to ride on trails when you can.

Anyone got a link to the woman who walks into the fountain in the mall while texting?
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 10:03 PM   #3
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
A 10 year old kid ran over me inside Sams Club..........pushing a shopping cart..........while texting.
Is your bike OK?
Old 02-25-11, 10:25 PM   #4
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
This is sad .http://www.king5.com/news/local/Text...116522618.html
Old 02-25-11, 10:30 PM   #5
Mr. Embrey

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale ST400
He was probably facespacing or tweetering or something. The younger ones can text without looking at their phone now.
Mr. Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 10:40 PM   #6
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:

Scary to think about him being on the road in just 5-6 years.
I hope you hit the floor.

Seriously, I mean it.

At 10 years old it would have left a very strong impression on him. Don't feign being injured, just go down and draw some attention to the incident. The lesson learned will probably save a life later.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 11:14 PM   #7
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
A 10 year old kid ran over me inside Sams Club..........pushing a shopping cart..........while texting. Scary to think about him being on the road in just 5-6 years.
The scariest thing is to observe how people push their carts around a supermarket and realize that they all drove there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 11:22 PM   #8
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Or getting hit by somebody driving one of those electric scooters inside a grocery store.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 04:35 AM   #9
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Riding home on the rail trail a few days ago and I saw some people walking towards me. I slowed down and noticed that one was walking in my lane/side of the trail with her head pointing down. I couldn't go to my left because the other people were a little behind her and in their lane/side of the trail. Well I slowed more and was rolling up to her hands on brakes ready to stop and then said "hello" she looked up a little startled and smiled and moved over a little so I could get by ,texting the whole time.
Her friends, I assume they were, who were in their lane said "wow she was too busy on the phone" and sort of smiled/laughed. I said yeah and rolled away.

Sometimes I just want to ram into the knuckleheads.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 04:40 AM   #10
Squirrelli
GONE~

Bikes:
Wow, he's 10 and he's got a phone to text other 10 year olds...
Squirrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 06:45 PM   #11
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Anyone got a link to the woman who walks into the fountain in the mall while texting?
Not too long ago a man hiking in the Sierra Nevada in California walked off a cliff and died while on his cell phone. I spend some time on hiking forums and he got no sympathy
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 06:45 PM   #12
scroca 
commuter and barbarian

Bikes:
You should hire a lawyer and sue him. Teach him how the world works.
2010 Surly LHT
1992 Trek 1200
1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear
scroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 06:54 PM   #13
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
More candidates for the Darwin Awards. I don't mind morons taking themselves out of the gene pool. But they somehow always manage to take out innocent folks with them.

Something I keep noticing: I'm a fairly big guy - 6'4" and 250lbs. - and I'm always noticing people walking straight toward me, expecting ME to step aside at the last moment, to make way for them. It happens all the time in stores, on sidewalks, all sorts of places. Is this some sort of ego challenge that people are into that I'm not aware of? I mean, they see me yet come straight at me. Now, if they were cute, sexy young females, I might not mind them 'bumping' into me. But this really is crazy...
xizangstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 07:23 PM   #14
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
I'm always noticing people walking straight toward me, expecting ME to step aside at the last moment, to make way for them. It happens all the time in stores, on sidewalks, all sorts of places. .
I see this as well. I will be walking on a sidewalk or asile and see two or more people coming toward me and they are walking abreast and like you said, they want me to move out of the way. I hold my line and prepare for a bump out , they seem to always move last minute.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 08:40 PM   #15
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
This thread strikes home. Riding up the bike trail (Sacramento area) this evening, I saw an entire family - mon, dad and two kids - walking side by side with their heads down and were taking up the entire westbound lane. What were they looking at... their ¶º•§ª§§*cell phones. They were texting as fast as they could. A rider was coming up in back of them and yelled "rider back" in plenty of time. These people were really upset and didn't move. They yelled back, "this is a multi use trail". I told them to get off their phones and pay attention. I got the middle finger and a lot of four letter words. It is back to the concept of "entitlement". They think they are entitled to do what they want and to heck with everyone else. That is just wrong. Also, great role modeling by the dad flipping me off.

Last edited by VaultGuru; 02-26-11 at 09:14 PM.
VaultGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 08:52 PM   #16
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
I'm not excusing their terrible behavior, but "rider back" has little or no meaning for most MUP users. How about "Passing?"
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 09:22 PM   #17
xizangstan

Didn't you say in in Spanish so they could understand you?
Old 02-26-11, 09:39 PM   #18
CrankyFranky

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!
I once saw hipster (med student no less) ride the wrong way up a busy 2-lane one-way, hands off his fixie, texting... hard to imagine that someday, a person with this little common sense may be treating me... or you. Scary times indeed
CrankyFranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 09:55 PM   #19
Neil_B

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
People, and especially the youth, seem to feel that their every thought and utterance must be of interest to someone. There is no place for being alone with one's own thoughts anymore.... and there are some serious dangers in it. It's a good reason to ride on trails when you can.

I am a link. I live 45 minutes from Berkshire Mall. I was at the fountain a week before the incident, with Sayre Kulp, his wife, and daughter. We had to stop Sayre's two year old from climbing into the fountain. Pity the Fountain Lady couldn't stop herself.
Old 02-26-11, 10:10 PM   #20
kennytb
Musashi Rider

Bikes: Catbike 2010 / Bachetta - Café / Raleigh M80
Sam's Club. Would the story have been any different @ Target?
kennytb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 10:10 PM   #21
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
I found the video of the texter falling into the mall fountain.
[video=youtube;mifJG3ACjVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifJG3ACjVs[/video]
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 01:02 AM   #22
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
I found the video of the texter falling into the mall fountain.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 07:02 AM   #23
xizangstan

What's amazing to me was, the stupid broad actually found a lawyer hungry enough to brag about bringing a lawsuit against the mall. NO ONE seems willing to accept responsibility for their own personal actions. It's always somebody else's fault. Usually somebody who has some money that they can shake them down for. Frickin' lawyers...
Old 02-27-11, 09:18 AM   #24
Neil_B

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
What's amazing to me was, the stupid broad actually found a lawyer hungry enough to brag about bringing a lawsuit against the mall. NO ONE seems willing to accept responsibility for their own personal actions. It's always somebody else's fault. Usually somebody who has some money that they can shake them down for. Frickin' lawyers...
That "responsibility" seems to include the Berkshire Mall and the security company. The prospective lawsuit, as I understand it, isn't about her falling into the fountain, it's about mall security putting the video up on YouTube and damaging the woman's reputation - the so called "false light".* and the woman's right to privacy. The fact the security company fired the guard responsible for publishing the video implies they know they have exposure to legal action.

* "False light" is a legal concept that expands on libel and slander. While slander and libel defame someone by publishing statements that aren't true, false light cases are where truthful information is used to damage reputation by implying something about the person - for instance, publishing photos of a woman alongside an article on prostitution.
Old 02-27-11, 09:31 AM   #25
Pwnt
( 8n(|) DOH!!

Bikes: Scattante R670
You should have been paying more attention to him not paying attention.

I love noodles.
Pwnt is offline   Reply With Quote