Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I retired the Bike Mobile at 545,000 miles

After 20 years and 545,000 miles I decided it was time to give the Bike Mobile its due and let it rest. While it still ran just as good as the day we drove it brand new out of the car lot, it was just tired. Or maybe I was just tired of it. It sure did have a lot of personality but more importantly it was incredibly reliable. Both the motor and the transmission were rock solid. It was very easy on tires. I was able to get 120,000 miles on the previous set.

The dash lights went out some time ago so I rigged up a single LED bike light that I turned on at night to see the speedometer. The door handle on the sliding door was broken off but you could open the door by reaching back through the passengers side door. To maximize the A/C cooling after using the heater I had to stop the van, pop the hood and quickly push in on one of the water mixing valves to completely shut off the hot water circulating through the firewall. The headlight lens were so yellowed that the bright lights could be on and oncoming cars didn't know the difference. It was a terrific vehicle for some quiet time as the radio went out about 10 years ago. The electric door locks also quit about 10 years ago so I could not lock up the driver's side door----noone ever bothered anything in it.

The Bike Mobile is the same age as my son so it's all he's ever known. It was an extremely dependable vehicle that took my family all over the US and never let just down. Even just a couple years ago I drove it to Az and back with all my daughter's possessions. My wife drove it for about 30 miles without any oil in the oil pan one night after cracking it crossing a RR track---she called me while driving and asked why the check engine light was on!

At 545,000 it was either change the oil or change the vehicle---so I chose the latter! I replaced it with one of its much younger cousins. Got an incredible deal on another van that had a handicap lift in the back and it just would not sell. They even took it to the auction and it didn't sell. It was pretty easy to come to an agreemnt after than! It will take about 2 hours to dismantle the lift and I already have a taker for the lift.

I'll always remember it for taking me, my bikes and my golf clubs a lot of different places to do the things I enjoy most. I think it's newer cousin is going to pick right up where its older counterpart left off!!

I'm not sure when I'm going to retire from working every day but like the bike Mobile I now think I'll just know. Either I'll be tired or just tired of it. I have feeling it's going to be the latter.

Here is a picture of the Bike Mobile with my late mechanic who helped us celebrate the 500,000 mile mark. He was tragically killed a few months later while riding a motorcycle.

Barry and Van.jpg
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should write Toyota and share that with them, maybe get in an ad or something.
    Sorry to hear about the mechanic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you got your money's worth out of that one.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a) why did you call it a Bike Mobile?
    b) what did you call it's replacement?
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Bike Mobile.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scroca View Post
    A Bike Mobile is the generic name for a vehicle that is used to transport bikes. Right now the new one is trying to earn a name.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, and I thought I was doing well with 180,000 miles on my Tundra. Guess I'm a slacker. :-) Hope mine goes that far.
    It's a good day to ride.
    --------------------------
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year Previa is that? I have a '93 van (technically light truck) that's all my kids have ever known, and I'm even more of a slacker than ctyler, but its main purpose in life is to haul all our bikes and gear on family bike events. 545,000 miles....I can't even wrap my head around how much gasoline that burned in its lifetime! Yeah, you should send your story to Toyota, as they could use any kind of good reliability news nowadays.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scroca View Post
    I think its pronounced bikemobeel.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quitter!

You've reinforced that I'm doing the right thing by buying paint and planning to work on the few rusty spots on our almost-new, less-than-100,000 miles, ten-year-old Mazda van
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    What year Previa is that? I have a '93 van (technically light truck) that's all my kids have ever known, and I'm even more of a slacker than ctyler, but its main purpose in life is to haul all our bikes and gear on family bike events. 545,000 miles....I can't even wrap my head around how much gasoline that burned in its lifetime! Yeah, you should send your story to Toyota, as they could use any kind of good reliability news nowadays.
    My Previa was a 1991--it was the first year of the redesign from their first minivan. We had that one too but traded it in with 90,000 miles on it.

When it was obvious the van was going to turn 500,000 we got in touch with Toyota USA through some contacts I have via work. We actually made a connection at a very high level. I sent them a long writeup including pictures but they didn't bite. The Previa was not built in the US so they did not see the need to run with the story. That was just before all their supposedly reliability issues. Now, I could go on Toyota's Facebook page that they have set up for these types of stories and put the same information and probably get some movement--I just don't have that interest anymore. I gave them a shot at it earlier.

For what it's worth I've had a lot of Toyota's and in fact just traded in my wife 4Runner that had 275,000 miles on it. My son has about 170,000 on his RAV4.

I pulled out my file of the maintenance records (I write down everytime I fill up) and it stirred a lot of memories over 20 years. It was still getting just about the same gas mileage when I traded it compared to the first tank of gas we put in it.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll echo the comments of others. It sounds like you got your money's worth. Well done!

My bike (and recently snow) mobile, a 2000 Tacoma 4WD, has 206,000 and is still going strong. I keep a record on maintenance and gas as well.

545,000. Quite an accomplishment.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the new one will be as good.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can remember when getting 60,000 miles out of a motor without a valve and ring job was quite an accomplishment. Amazing at 545,000 miles.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    A Bike Mobile is the generic name for a vehicle that is used to transport bikes. Right now the new one is trying to earn a name.
    Mine is called Bike Hauler. I've thought of getting a small decal for the back window with this name on it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I can remember when getting 60,000 miles out of a motor without a valve and ring job was quite an accomplishment. Amazing at 545,000 miles.
    Yup.... I think it's the fuel injection that has made the longevity possible. Anyway: RIP ole paint!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - was there a major overhaul (main bearings) ever? Pretty impressive mileage, whatver your response!

What did you get as a replacement?
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    Isn't that a Siena van? Great vehicle.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Not just that , but electronic engine controls keep the drivability nearly like new over all that time. MUCH better than carburetors, automatic chokes, and vacuum-advance distributors. They might have an effect on durability, but I know huge strides have been made in engine materials and manufacturing technique. QC is far better than it was, just on the metalworking side.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Echo has 175,000 and still feels new. Still getting 39 MPG.

My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure