Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bosu ball training for core exercises

I just got a BOSU Ball for my home gym, and am trying the following exercises:

There seem to be no shortage of BOSU exercises. I find these challenging.

Who else is using the BOSU Ball? What are you doing?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trainer at the gym has me use 3 different kinds of balls of varying sizes and weights for certain exercises. They strike me as making what looks to be an easy exercise deceptively hard. Like holding an 8 lb. ball straight out in front and doing lunges.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always impressed by how hard of a workout of core, lower body, and upper body that my trainer can put me through using nothing but an incline bench, medicine balls of three different weights, a wall, and a stability ball.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    I'm always impressed by how hard of a workout of core, lower body, and upper body that my trainer can put me through using nothing but an incline bench, medicine balls of three different weights, a wall, and a stability ball.
    +1.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a BOSU at the gym for forearm-supported planks.
    Craig in Indy

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I just got a BOSU Ball for my home gym, and am trying the following exercises
    Dnvr, when did you shave your head?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Dnvr, when did you shave your head?
    3 days ago - 1/4" all around, like Bluesdawg. I do that whenever it seems to be getting long.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BOSUs are good... I've used them at the gym quite a bit and should get one for home too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    BOSUs are good... I've used them at the gym quite a bit and should get one for home too.
    Mine is a bit smaller than the typical gym one. I kept watching BOSU balls for sale through Google searches, and got this new one as a return for a very, very low price, shipping free.

It works fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a BOSU Ball for my home gym, and am trying the following exercises:

There seem to be no shortage of BOSU exercises. I find these challenging.

Who else is using the BOSU Ball? What are you doing?
    Hmmm, the video/?? didn't display for me. ???
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    Hmmm, the video/?? didn't display for me. ???
    Works for me just fine. I don't know what to say. Icicles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works for me just fine. I don't know what to say. Icicles?
    Well we are just dug out from waist deep snow from a bunch of snow falling and 50mph winds. Maybe the video is still under a drift somewhere?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lat65 - Do you have something like "Realplayer" installed on your computer? That is what mine defaults to so that the video plays. Rwealplayer is one of those free downloads, and I find tit much more versatile and comprehensive than Windows Media Player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled up the source code for this page. It says the video is on youtube. You may be on to something as I'm using my new computer and it doesn't have either RealPlayer or Flash installed. I'll check youtube to see what players it works with.

=========================================================================================

Back from the youtube site. It says all videos are streamed using Adobe Flash Player. Now I need to see why both Microsoft and my local security people say Flash Player is an unacceptable security and privacy risk and should not be used. That is why it wasn't installed originally I guess.
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 02-28-11 at 06:57 PM.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate these kind of posts!! LOL
    I also hate to work on my core. Lets face it, I hate to work on anything, I just like to ride. Therein lies my problem. With out a good core ridding is hampered to say the least. I have been doing a video on a core workout for about a week or more now and so at least I am making a effort, but I don't have to like it.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    I pulled up the source code for this page. It says the video is on youtube. You may be on to something as I'm using my new computer and it doesn't have either RealPlayer or Flash installed. I'll check youtube to see what players it works with.

=========================================================================================

Back from the youtube site. It says all videos are streamed using Adobe Flash Player. Now I need to see why both Microsoft and my local security people say Flash Player is an unacceptable security and privacy risk and should not be used. That is why it wasn't installed originally I guess.
    On this particular computer, it is playing on Adobe Flash Player. Seems to vary a bit from computer to computer.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of my series of core/resistance work utilizes the Bosu Ball. One exercise is doing V-sits x 3 sets @ max reps. Another is crunches x 3 sets @ max reps. I also do upside down Bosu Ball squats alternating hand positions from front, side, top of head and arms crossed over the chest, doing 3 sets of 30 squats per set. At first I needed a wall to get be able to get onto the upside down Bosu Ball but don’t need assistance anymore.

Part of my prescribed torture is the 3 point and 4 point medicine ball pushups using wide, regular and narrow hand positions. In the 3 point pushup I have both feet on a 10 lb medicine ball and each hand on a 8 lb medicine ball. I do 2 sets at each position to failure. When I do the 4 point pushups I am supposed to have a ball under each foot and hand. Due to my left ankle being fused a year ago I am not able to use my left foot on the single 10 lb medicine ball, as there is no mobility, so I use the Bosu Ball under the left foot while the other 3 appendages are on balls.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also do upside down Bosu Ball squats alternating hand positions from front, side, top of head and arms crossed over the chest, doing 3 sets of 30 squats per set. At first I needed a wall to get be able to get onto the upside down Bosu Ball but don’t need assistance anymore.
    Ditto - I have a post handy to grab for those things. I am doing them one legged, the other leg going back or to the side. And we call this "fun?"

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto - I have a post handy to grab for those things. I am doing them one legged, the other leg going back or to the side. And we call this "fun?"
    You should see me when I have do sets of squats while balancing on a single ten pound medicine ball, then doing sets of squats while balancing with a ball under each foot. My wife tells our friends that I'm in training for the circus. She's not complaining due in part to the beach ready abs I've developed.

Doing the core/resistance work, as assigned by the coach, was my New Year's Resolution and I have kept it so far. If I don't get faster at least I'm looking the part.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After my BOSU workout yesterday (doing a lot more than in the video above - I found another lower body workout from the same guy), I discovered some new muscles, which is rare for me, as I generally, even after a hard workout, have no aches. Well, I do today - which I consider a good sign. Nothing unbearable or anything like that. I just noticed a few muscles I have't used lately!!