User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First road bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First road bike

I started riding about a year ago, bought a hybrid and put about 7000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge to a road bike. I tested the Specialized, Trex, Carbondale and Giant versions of this but there is some element to the feel and ride of the Bianchi that sets it apart even though I have trouble putting my finger on it.

I have a history of flat tires so this bike didn't leave the shop with the stock tires, it has Contentental Gator Hardshells now.

I'm fairly surprised at how much faster I can push this, both in sprint and average, than I could my hybrid.

When I took this shot, I was nervous about the possibility of the bike wheel flopping to the side, rolling out and the bike falling into the brackish water of the bay. So I had an industrial strength rubber band on the front brake level, an impromptu parking brake.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound like a keen rider - and this bike looks great as a first road bike - not as stiff as all aluminum, good price point, and great looking and all modern to boot. Smart purchase, I'm sure that I'd be giving this a hard look if/when I decide that my venerable '82 steel bike no longer can do what little I demand of it.
    Three questions - was there a triple chainring as an option and what kine of warrantee comes with the frame?
    And is it my imagination, or does each wheel have four red spokes?
    Meanwhile, I hope you get many miles out of it!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharp bike! Beware of the white grip tape - gets dirty fast!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bengreen79 View Post
    Sharp bike! Beware of the white grip tape - gets dirty fast!
    But it's not that hard to clean. Smear on some waterless hand cleaner, like GoJo, and hose it off. Takes about the amount of time I spent typing this response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Different colored spokes? Get rid of all those reflectors too. Very nice ride.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a beauty. Glad you found the one that chose you.

Too bad about the tires. I think I would have tried the stock tires and switch to the iron-clads only after I actually had problems, but that's just me and my history is to have pretty good luck with flats. I get them occasionally, but not enough to sacrifice road feel.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way to find out if the Continental tires make a difference is buy the other half her own matching bike. Leave the stock tires on her bike. See who gets the most flats on your rides together.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride. Good idea on the parking brake!

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am admittedly biased, but I figure one cannot go wrong w/ a Bianchi.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Continentals on my hybrid for around or over 6000 miles with no flats but I was plagued with flats with the stock tires. A month before I bought, a friend bought a similar version of my Bianchi with the same tires as fitted stock on mine and had a flat within 200 miles. I put 30 or better miles on the bike testing it and, frankly, can't tell the difference in feel or handling between the stock tires and the Contis.

Yes, a triple crank is available but since 95% of my riding is in Florida I don't need it until I visit my family and friends in north Georgia. Then I figure I can either take my hybrid with the 28/38/48 front or I can buy an extra rear cassette for the Bianchi for the duration and temporarily replace the stock 12/25 10 speed with a 11/32. I do so love the tight gear steps of a 12/25 10 speed though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pretty! I was looking at a similar Bianchi when I bought my Felt. The Bianchi turned so smoothly and it was really well balanced. There was a difference to me, too. I ended up with a Felt (which had the same perfect balance feeling of the Bianchi), but I do think the Bianchi's are really, really pretty bikes. I have hills here, but with the road bike I have yet to need granny gear on anything but a climb up the side of a dam! I don't think triples are needed on a light road bike. I have a triple on my hybrid and used granny gear quite a bit. Of course, my Felt has an 11-28 cassette, so maybe that's why? In Florida, it shouldn't matter much to you.

Enjoy it! It's a pretty thing.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great.

That rear blinkie light will be much more effective if it's rigidly mounted so that it points back towards the cars.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice colors....
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bike, but that is a really strange paint job on your garage door!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful bike. I'm among those that think all Bianchis should be "celeste." And don't worry about the white tape. A little dirt on it shows that you really ride it.
    Last edited by CraigB; 03-01-11 at 10:59 AM.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet looking ride. I hope it serves you well (which it should if it's well cared for).
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepť.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always loved that Bianchi color.............enjoy many miles on it............she's a beauty
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepť)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That color is such a Florida color!
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Very nice bike, but that is a really strange paint job on your garage door!!
    Heh!

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Someday I'd like to own an Italian bike with all Campagnolo components. I lusted over such bikes in my youth.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Bianchi website the Via Nirone 7 105 is about $400 less than the comparably equipped Trek, Specialized and Giant bikes. There is also (supposedly) a Bianchi dealer about 15 miles south of me that I have not visited. I will have to visit and see if I can give this bike serious consideration.

2010 Jamis Quest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garilla, If that is in your price range, I think it is an excellent choice. Bianchi's are beautifully designed and they ride so well. Usually you pay a few hundred more for them compared to other brands, not less, but when you try one, you know why. If this model seems to be less, there is no question to me that this is the best choice.

I think the original poster needs to have the bike fitted better, though. The handlebars are at the wrong angle...
    Last edited by outwest5; 03-01-11 at 09:59 AM.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest5 View Post
    Garilla, If that is in your price range, I think it is an excellent choice. Bianchi's are beautifully designed and they ride so well. Usually you pay a few hundred more for them compared to other brands, not less, but when you try one, you know why. If this model seems to be less, there is no question to me that this is the best choice.
    I'm just basing my comparison on the MSRP or Avg. Retail Price on each manufacturers website. The Via Nirone 7 105 lists at $1379.99

The Trek 2.3 is $1729.99 (although I just saw the Trek 2.1 is 105 equipped for $1369) I'd have to compare the Bianchi to the Trek 2.1 or the Giant Defy1 (it seems like I was looking at some higher end trek and Giant bikes with 105 and I thought they were the entry 105) still, I am considering this price range, I hope to be able to touch, feel, and smell the Bianchi

2010 Jamis Quest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest5 View Post
    I think the original poster needs to have the bike fitted better, though. The handlebars are at the wrong angle...
    No, that's on purpose. I've always had a problem with the way the nerves are routed to my hands and if my arms are stretched too far, my hands rapidly go totally numb, very unpleasant. In order to get short of the numb point, we had to put on the shortest steering head and even then tilt the bars up. Even now, it's right on the edge. In my 20's, I had trouble distance riding on a motorcycle.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
    No, that's on purpose. I've always had a problem with the way the nerves are routed to my hands and if my arms are stretched too far, my hands rapidly go totally numb, very unpleasant. In order to get short of the numb point, we had to put on the shortest steering head and even then tilt the bars up. Even now, it's right on the edge. In my 20's, I had trouble distance riding on a motorcycle.

It's a sharp looking bike, and I will absolutely try to find one for a test ride. I always try to be on the edge of mainstream, and for some reason am not enamored by the Trek, Giant, Specialized triumvirate.

2010 Jamis Quest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast