User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tapering for the Over 60 crowd

The Solvang century is two weeks away. If you're young(er) and/or on a single it's not a hard century, about 5000' of climbing and purportedly nothing too steep. Well, we don't fit in either of those categories and while we did Borrego Springs 100K in January and the Palm Springs Century a few weeks ago, we're under-trained given the rain we've been having.

So here's the question: We'll do a few easy rides this week and probably 60 miles on Saturday with some climbing, but I'm looking for experienced-based free advice on how best to taper that final week. We rode 40+ miles yesterday after not riding all week (weather) and my legs felt pretty bad for the first hour or so, so I know I need to ride some during that last week.

I know this is extremely individual, but I'm interested in hearing suggestions nonetheless. I'll even accept a simple HTFU, but you better be over 60
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can taper from work you haven't done. When you're undertrained you will just have to suck it up on the century. There really isn't much you can do that will improve your condition in the week before the ride but there is plenty you can do that will hurt you. So listen to your body after this next 60 mile ride. I would suggest getting in a modest ride a couple days before the event but other than that let your legs tell you what else to do.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no help for your tapering plan, but here's a ride report from last year that might be useful. Or not.
    http://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2010/03/...le-in-bag.html
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I don't think you can taper from work you haven't done....
    I should have put taper in quotations!

...I would suggest getting in a modest ride a couple days before the event but other than that let your legs tell you what else to do.
    That's what I'm thinking. Maybe an easy spin on the trainer the day after our longish ride, followed by R&R with maybe a 20 miles ride two day's prior. We'll probably always be under-trained for centuries with climbing, but 100K's don't present enough of a challenge so we're in permanent "suck it up" mode
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done that ride 9 times, but not lately. I would always try to get in at least 50 miles with climbing the Wednesday before then take Thursday and Friday off the bike with some stretching and hydrating.
    I've been invited to a century this Saturday that has 11,000 feet of climbing. Any advice on how to get ready for that in 3 days?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I've been invited to a century this Saturday that has 11,000 feet of climbing. Any advice on how to get ready for that in 3 days?
    Stoicism during the ride and booze after.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Stoicism during the ride and booze after.
    How about whimpering during the ride and comatose after?
    I think there is an 85 mile option that would be more in line with my current "training".

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thread has been hijacked!!!! Good thing I'm a very forgiving person I'm traveling Mon-Wed so we'll do our last long ride with climbing this Saturday and take a short ride on Thursday. We're mostly a bit short on saddle time. Solvang may be 5000' of climbing, but none of the climbs are a two hour grind (for us) going up 3000' in 8 miles which, while doable, completely shreds us.
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solvang is actually a pretty easy century and none of the climbs are super steep, though one near the end of Foxen Canyon and "The Wall" after the last checkpoint will get your attention. I've ridden the Solvang Century nine times, and it's always well supported, plus travels a beautiful route.

I'll have to miss it this year due to a conflict with the Taiwan Bike Show (yeah, sometimes work has to come first) but I'll be able to make up for it (twice!) by riding the Solvang Double Century on March 26th. I'll turn 61 the day before the Solvang Double!

Registration is still open for the Double, in case you really love the single century, but it was just too short for you!

Here's the link: http://www.planetultra.com/solvang/index.html

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I don't think you can taper from work you haven't done. When you're undertrained you will just have to suck it up on the century. There really isn't much you can do that will improve your condition in the week before the ride ...
    This would be my advice, too. I did my first century after a long layoff when a friend called on Friday night and asked me to ride with him on Saturday morning. I'd been in decent shape but hadn't ridden at all in five or six weeks. The first 75 miles went all right, but we both bonked there and wobbled at about 10mph for the last 25. It took me three weeks to feel normal again.
    One piece of advice: START SLOW. If you're comfortable riding at, say, 15mph, and you're excited and feeling good early, there's a tendency to go out fast and fly the first three hours. Then you're starting to get tired and you're not even halfway home. The last two hours are going to make you wish you were dead anyway, but there's no need to make it worse than it has to be.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    ... The last two hours are going to make you wish you were dead anyway, but there's no need to make it worse than it has to be.
    On that note we're good to go!
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    This would be my advice, too. I did my first century after a long layoff when a friend called on Friday night and asked me to ride with him on Saturday morning. I'd been in decent shape but hadn't ridden at all in five or six weeks. The first 75 miles went all right, but we both bonked there and wobbled at about 10mph for the last 25. It took me three weeks to feel normal again.
    You know you're getting tired when you start the old pulse and glide. Pedal a few sharp strokes, then glide. I had a bit of that towards the end of my 75 miler this past weekend. Century rides are mostly about training time in the saddle. It's hard to fake that. If you can keep a good attitude though it makes the ride a lot better regardless of fitness.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    My thread has been hijacked!!!!
    It's a BF tradition! Thanks for playing along.

Rick, busy this Saturday?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Rick, busy this Saturday?
    Hi John,

Yes, Lou Ann and I have planned to do the 8:00AM Rebel ride this Sat., which has several brutal climbs, and then add some bonus miles and climbs to that for Solvang Double training. Are you, Laura and V.Bob heading up Hwy 2?

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Hi John,

Yes, Lou Ann and I have planned to do the 8:00AM Rebel ride this Sat., which has several brutal climbs, and then add some bonus miles and climbs to that for Solvang Double training. Are you, Laura and V.Bob heading up Hwy 2?

Rick / OCRR
    No, Jim S has organized a ride up there as part of a new brevet series. Bob's in Kansas.