Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife meets this age category ... good starter bike?

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get my wife on a bike, as my son and I have decided to start riding and will be buying new bikes soon ... she's, em, let's say, over 50, with no real bike experience ... will likely not go off-road very often and will never do anything dangerous or difficult ... probably will mostly tootle around our mountainous town (many steep hills) on pavement and easy trails, with the occasional venture onto easy state park trails.

Found this used bike online:

Trek mountain bike ... 26Ē wheels, 18 speeds, 15 in frame.
    Older Trek Antelope 800, bought new ... early 90's ... great condition ... never been off-road.
    It was bought by my mom and hardly ever ridden ... less than 50 miles total.
    Shimano components all around and everythingís in good condition ... shifts and brakes perfectly.
    Asking $150.

Good bike for my wife to start with? Fair price?

Thanks,

Bill

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good...any pics?

Tell her the hardest part of bike riding is the payment.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. That sounds like a good bike for the use you described. If I were doing it, I'd swap out the knobby tires for something smoother.

2. Bikes, like shoes, come in sizes. The wrong size is never a good deal.

3. A fair price is whatever the buyer and seller agree upon. That bike probably cost around $300 when it was new. I'd say that $150.00 is at the upper end of what I'd be willing to pay.

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized CrossTrail Sport, 2011 Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure that whatever you buy is a good fit for her. I know it's been said over and over, but fit is much more important than any particular model.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the one ... look good? Good starter bike for her at, say, $100? Poster very responsive and welcomed us to come by and take a ride. Bill

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Bill View Post
    I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get my wife on a bike, as my son and I have decided to start riding and will be buying new bikes soon ...
    Why not let her pick out a new bike as well? When I got back into riding and wanted my wife to join me, I made sure her bike was equal to or better than mine. That is still the case. You and your son hopping on your new bikes and asking your wife to come along on her CL bike just seems wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the price, it sound like a real good starting place.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not let her pick out a new bike as well?
    You'd just have to know her ... she's the most unassuming, unselfish person on the planet and will be perfectly content starting with an older, used bike that is in good condition ... she's not into jewelery or new cars or keeping up with the Jones' ... if she ends up liking biking, we will most defintitely upgrade her bike, but something like the bike pictured in the previous post seems to be the perfect, inexpensive way to experiment with her.

Bill

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd just have to know her ... she's the most unassuming, unselfish person on the planet and will be perfectly content starting with an older, used bike that is in good condition ... she's not into jewelery or new cars or keeping up with the Jones' ... if she ends up liking biking, we will most defintitely upgrade her bike, but something like the bike pictured in the previous post seems to be the perfect, inexpensive way to experiment with her.

Bill
    She sounds exactly like my wife. I took her to the bike store to test ride bikes. She rode a lot of them. In the end, she loved the Fuji Finest 1.0 but it was way more money than she wanted to spend on a bike. She chose a bike at the bottom of the price range. I told her to think about it but I returned later and bought the Fuji. She loved it and still does. Sometimes it isn't about what she needs or expects, it about showing how much she means to you. At least it is in my case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it isn't about what she needs or expects, it about showing how much she means to you. At least it is in my case.
    Man, some people just can't resist the temptation to put the ole guilt trip on you. :^)

Believe me, we wouldn't have been married for the past 31 years if the world hadn't revolved around her all that time. It's just that she has never really done any biking and that there is a better than fair chance it won't take with her, so going the cheap route initially seems like the smart thing to do ... if it does take, a very nice upgrade would be swift and demonstrative.

What about this as opposed to the other one?

http://fayar.craigslist.org/bik/2221133192.html
    Last edited by Honest Bill; 03-03-11 at 07:11 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, no more guilt. What kind of bikes are you and your son looking to get? I would try to get her on a bike of a similar style (MTB/Road/etc.) and as light or lighter than you are looking at getting. If you are on a light road bike and she is on an MTB, even with slicks, she will have to work to keep with you. And it has been mentioned before but make sure it fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a better choice to me. a tip: my husband had a hybrid. He changed out the tires for thinnish slick ones and the bike instantly became faster and much easier to ride. Anything with nobby tires is exhausting to ride unless you are in super good shape (and being young doesn't hurt, either).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told that the handlebars are going forward on this bike but that the front wheel is going backwards ... true? If so, why would that be?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told that the handlebars are going forward on this bike but that the front wheel is going backwards ... true? If so, why would that be?
    The side of the forks the brakes are mounted to should be pointing forward. Easy fix: loosen stem, rotate 180 degrees, tighten stem.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my wife's not that into biking. 25 years ago we bought matching Trek 300 road bikes. She almost never rode hers. She now has a Jamis Boss Cruiser that she rarely rides, but feels more comfortable riding it when she rides. She hates drop bars, and does not want to even entertain a racing style bike.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was bought by my mom and hardly ever ridden.
    IOW, it was owned by a little old lady who only used to to go the church. But it looks good to me. Check out these sites for how to determine if a bike will fit, then go check out the bike. Don't dawdle or someone else might get it.

http://www.cyclemetrics.com/Pages/Fi..._fit_links.htm

We bought an Ironman Centurion ($150) for my wife a few years ago, and she loves it. We ride together a lot. I hope it works as well for you.

Last edited by TromboneAl; 03-03-11 at 07:13 PM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, we had bought the Jamis Boss Cruiser for my Mom about 10years ago. She never rode it, and gave it to my wife a few months ago. Who has yet to ride it, but at least the tires have new tubes and the front wheel has been trued.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Shimano 105; Easton EA90 SLX, Bontrager Race lite carbon fiber handlebars! & Look Keo pedals
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree on getting a similar type of bike that you & your son will be riding, but most importantly getting a good fit. Try some different bikes at a few shops to find what fits & feels best. If she really doesn't want a new one then at least she will have an idea of how a used one feels when she gets on it. Enjoy, it's been great for me and my wife (62+, 55 and 34years!) Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://fayar.craigslist.org/bik/2244020864.html

Better than the other 2 choices I posted here?

Bill