Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a good quality step thru bike for a lady

I have a girlfriend who's ready to buy a decent recreational bike in the $400-$600 range. She's a bit heavy right now and can't get her leg up over a standard bike's top tube. I think she needs a step-through design frame. I would like her to have a decent, light weight bike that's stout and built to last lots of troublefree miles.

I've been into better quality bikes for a long while now. My current ride is a titanium GT Xizang with Shimano XTR components. I would like her to have a decent chance to keep up with me, once she's in shape.

Do any of you guys or gals have any suggestions? I know the price bracket's a little low to be expecting top shelf frame and components. But I thought one of you 50+ guys might point us in the right direction. Any suggestions???
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sister in law LOOVES her bike- a Kona Dew FS. It is super easy to ride, light for this type of bike, has a bazillion gears for going up difficult places and she says it is the most comfortable bike she's ever had. She was very out of shape when she got it and was still able to get around on it easily because of the triple and multiple gears it has. Your friend won't keep up with you if you are on a road bike, but for recreation this one is perfect.

I admit, it is one cute bike. I have ridden it and am impressed with how smooth and easy it is to ride. My sister in law had them switch the straight bars for swept back bars at no cost. Kona's hybrids are all very sturdy and well built. Unfortunately, they have discontinued it along with a number of other models, but I bet you could get a 2010 model on blowout down at your price point. She bought hers for around $625. Just go to a bike shop that carries Kona's and ask them to call. I think there are still some for sale:
    http://www.bikecarson.com/2010/01/10...dew-fs-review/

Here's the Kona site to find a dealer near you:
    http://www.konaworld.com/bikes.cfm
    Last edited by outwest5; 03-02-11 at 02:24 AM.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shop for something second hand.

In my city, the police take unclaimed stolen bikes to the auction about once a month. I've picked up a few real good deals there. I've also seen people who don't know what they are buying pay way too much.

I had to watch for 3 or 4 months to get the last two bikes but it was worth the wait to get bikes for $150 that retail for $600 - $700

I think it will be hard to find a step through frame since the resurgence in popularity only happened in the last 3 to 5 years.

Try craig's list.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't meet your price range new, but it's an ideal solution. My wife had a mxte years ago with flat bars. One out-fitted with trekker bars would really be sweet. We're putting trekker bars on her Trek 520 when the parts come in. Might get her back to a mixte in the not too distant future.

http://www.somafab.com/bvista.html

Al

My Bikes
    My Schwinn World GSE and Wifes CurrieTech Path+
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd start with the Trek website, particularly the Navigator line, and go from there. I know Giant is giant but I have trouble getting beyond Schwinn and Trek.
    Richard

My Bikes
    Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife, because of two metal hips also needs a step thru frame. She swears by her Trek Navigator. It may not be the lightest, but she feels secure on it.
    14 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0
    08 Kona Dr. Dew

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She will be shopping for her bike in Lincoln or Omaha Nebraska. And from what it looks like, most highly recommended is the Trek Navigator, eh? I'll search the Internet for a Trek dealer in Lincoln.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife rides a Trek FX most of the time, but her favorite bike is a Giant Suede W.

Take a look at http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...&how=lifestyle.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    I have a girlfriend who's ready to buy a decent recreational bike in the $400-$600 range. She's a bit heavy right now and can't get her leg up over a standard bike's top tube. I think she needs a step-through design frame. I would like her to have a decent, light weight bike that's stout and built to last lots of troublefree miles.

I've been into better quality bikes for a long while now. My current ride is a titanium GT Xizang with Shimano XTR components. I would like her to have a decent chance to keep up with me, once she's in shape.

Do any of you guys or gals have any suggestions? I know the price bracket's a little low to be expecting top shelf frame and components. But I thought one of you 50+ guys might point us in the right direction. Any suggestions???
    To get a really good ladies bike look to European bike brands. Have your lady cruise this site to see what I mean........... http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?