Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA cycling advocates force change in planned network of paths

Times are changing. Bicycle advocates have forced cities to incorporate bike ways into their street systems around me. It's awesome and continues to get better. Los Angeles is West of me. As car culture city, USA, I am glad the LA bike community is becoming vocal, too! Are any in your communities vocally active? :

L.A. City Council approves bicycle master plan
    Comments (15) (235)(48)March 1, 2011 | 2:44 pm The Los Angeles City Council approved a new blueprint Tuesday for the city's streets that shifts focus away from automobiles.

The bicycle master plan calls for an eventual network of 1,680 miles of interconnected bikeways, including more than 200 miles of new bicycle routes every five years. It also calls for a safety campaign to educate drivers about sharing the streets.

"It's a cultural shift toward different types of transportation," said Councilman Ed Reyes, one of the plan's major proponents. The challenge now, he and other lawmakers said, will be in implementing it.

The City Council agreed last year to put 10% of the city's share of money from Measure R, the 2008 sales tax to support transportation projects countywide, toward initiatives for cyclists and pedestrians.

City Councilman Bill Rosendahl said some of the Measure R money should be used to bring the bicycle plan to life. He stressed construction will not start until the council comes up with the required money and specific projects are approved.

"We are not changing any streets as of this moment," Rosendahl said. But, he continued, "what they have given us is a great map to work with."
    The plan was designed by city planners and transportation experts with significant input from L.A.'s growing bicycle activist community.

In 2009, cyclists organized a campaign against the first draft of the plan, which they derided as a piecemeal network of bikeways that seemed chosen for the city's convenience, not cyclists'.

The revised plan includes many of their suggestions, including a call for a freeway-like system of upgraded streets known as the "backbone network."

Cycling advocates at the City Council meeting said they were pleased with the final draft, and it would help Los Angeles catch up with other cities.

"I think it's a better bike plan than they've got in Chicago," said longtime activist Alex Thompson.

Several speakers favored an amendment that would protect a current ban on mountain biking on equestrian and hiking trails in city parks.

City Councilman Tom LaBonge, whose 4th Council District includes Griffith Park, introduced the motion, which was adopted. It requires any changes to the regulation of mountain bicycling on trails to first be analyzed by the Board of Recreation and Parks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have mountain bikers on all the trails around me that include horses, joggers and dogs. I don't mountain bike, but they have never been a problem around me. I hope they don't ban them there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Little Rock, the decision of where to put bike lanes should be was left to the bicyclists. More out of apathy than generosity. But last year, the Bike Plan subcommittee met and formulated their recommendations. Strangely, just about all of my bike commute was recommended for bike lanes.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like several moves in the right direction!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought California was bankrupt! Foolish me.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are gradually phasing in a bike lane plan here to add to our pretty decent MUP system. But progress has been slower than I expected and some of what I see seems poorly designed. But its a start and there is a lot more bike commuting around here than their used to be. We do need a lot more share the road signs and driver acceptance campaigns though.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Banned.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    And I thought California was bankrupt! Foolish me.
    You'll notice they haven't actually spent any money on such projects. "City Councilman Bill Rosendahl said some of the Measure R money should be used to bring the bicycle plan to life. He stressed construction will not start until the council comes up with the required money and specific projects are approved."

I seriously doubt that they will indeed spend 10% of the budget on such projects. At best they will likely reduce P&R budgets and play games with the books.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you read about what's happening down in San Diego??

http://la.streetsblog.org/2011/03/03...ians/#comments
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in LA in June 2010, staying in Chinatown, within walking distance of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion to see Wagner's Ring. I did a lot of riding from here, pretty much downtown LA. What differentiates LA from other North American cities is that it has a large network of drainage canals that run underneath the main streets and freeways. As long as the canals are not flooded ("it never rains in Southern California"), it's possible to ride along the paths built into the canals without having to stop at the vast myriad of stoplights on the main drags. This is probably the backbone bicycle freeway system.

But a system of bicycle "freeways" is a real necessity to get anywhere in LA. To get from downtown to Venice or Manhattan Beach is about an hour's ride, at least. Same with climbing into the hills. The place is vast!

L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure R funds are a voted on bond measure for the county of Los Angeles for transportation projects. It has nothing to do with the state of California. The money is there. Measure R is a half-cent sales tax increase for residents of Los Angeles County that is expected to provide the local resources to finance new transportation projects and accelerate those already in the pipeline. Over the next 30 years, it is projected to generate $40 billion for congestion relief projects. Locally, from Measure R, Caltrans and other transportation agencies can anticipate funds coming in from the cent sales tax beginning in July, 2009.

The LACBC reports that the 10% set aside from Measure R funds for bike and pedestrian projects has been officially confirmed, with $3.27 million available the first year. “The City’s New Master Bicycle Plan is another great example of Measure R funds at work—we are investing in bicycling as a viable transportation option and in the process encouraging Angelenos to lead healthy, active lifestyles,” Mayor Villaraigosa said. “With the addition of over 1,600 miles of bikeways, Los Angeles is on the path to becoming a world-class city for bicycling.”

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest5 View Post
    The LACBC reports that the 10% set aside from Measure R funds for bike and pedestrian projects has been officially confirmed, with $3.27 million available the first year. “The City’s New Master Bicycle Plan is another great example of Measure R funds at work—we are investing in bicycling as a viable transportation option and in the process encouraging Angelenos to lead healthy, active lifestyles,” Mayor Villaraigosa said. “With the addition of over 1,600 miles of bikeways, Los Angeles is on the path to becoming a world-class city for bicycling.”
    Thanks for this. The CBC did an interview with LA's mayor re: the proposed bike facilities, but I missed hearing it. But it does seem like bike facilities are becoming popular in major metro areas in North America. There's been the usual controversy in Vancouver, but building facilities has tangibly increased cyclist numbers on the streets.

Here's a picture of my bike on the Ballona Bike Trail, near Marina Del Rey!

L.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest5 View Post
    Measure R funds are a voted on bond measure for the county of Los Angeles for transportation projects. [/SIZE][/COLOR]
    Interesting.

All of our Colorado lottery profits go by statute to open space and trail projects and similar. Additionally, the taxpayers in a number of counties have voted to tax themselves for open space and trails projects. Therefore, we have a whole lot of open space parks and land, in addition to the millions of acres of other preserved land such as national forests, Bureau of Land Management, National Parks, State Parks, National wildlife refuges, national grasslands, state wildlife areas, a state forest, and the usual retinue of city and county parks.

This at the same time as services for individuals with disabilities, schools, higher education and other human services have been hit REALLY hard. It makes for an interesting values dilemma. Open space and trails or schools and human services? There have been calls to change the dedicated open space $$$'s to school and human service funding. So far, nothing has actually been done to change anything.

My own small town of Parker has hundreds of acres of open space preserved along our one "creek" - along with some historical sites. In addition, many of the subdivisions HOA's own open space. My neighborhood of about 300 homes owns 55 acres of open space, mostly along the creek. Also, the county has open space right next to the Town of Parker, including almot 1500 acres just south of town, and several large parks, one within 1/2 mile of our home. Just about a mile north on the trail another HOA has 155 acres of open space along the creek, and further north a new Metro District has about 100 acres along the creek and trail. ALmost all of the open spaces have trails - inter-connected with each other to form a decent bicycle transportation system.

These open space areas certainly increase the quality of life, IMHO. Sort of like country in the city.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-05-11 at 07:01 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to my next visit to LA... looks like a lot of good stuff going on there. For obvious reasons transportation is an issue that get a lot attention there.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only live 35 miles from LA, but avoid going there unless I don't go in rushhour traffic. I don't care for urbna. It will be years before they change peoples mindsets about the cars.