Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-11, 09:18 AM   #1
California Crow

Bikes: Raleigh Revenio, Trek 7300, Trek 7000; Renovo (build in progress)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Biking after spinal surgery?

Looks very much like I'm in for some spinal surgery in the near future to repair a herniated disc... very possibly the result of a car vs. bike episode I had back in December. Just wondering what I can expect in terms of biking again following the surgery. Anyone here have any first hand experience to report? I'll have my first meeting with the neurosurgeon very soon, and I'll definitely be asking that particular question, among many others.
California Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 11:15 AM   #2
qcpmsame 
USMC, 1975-1977

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
You having a laminectomy or a fusion (P.L.I.F.)? I've had both and Dnvrfox just had a fusion very recently.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13 NIV
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 11:27 AM   #3
California Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
You having a laminectomy or a fusion (P.L.I.F.)? I've had both and Dnvrfox just had a fusion very recently.

Bill
I'm honestly not sure. I had an MRI on Tuesday, and discussed the results with my neurolgist yesterday. He himself believes that surgery will be necessary. He didn't really get more specific, but context and condition pretty much indicate a laminectomy. He did emphasize that the neurosurgeon I'd be working with wouldn't hesitate to suggest less drastic course of treatment if he thought it warranted. I'm waiting for them to call me with the referal appointment date, which I expect will be early next week.

We've certainly got to take some sort of action soon, since my left foot is partially paralized now due to the nerve compression. (Funny thing is, although it's making walking difficult, I can still get around on the bike just fine).

Last edited by California Crow; 03-04-11 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 11:30 AM   #4
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Ask for a copy of the MRI results.

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 12:30 PM   #5
qcpmsame 
USMC, 1975-1977

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
If you can get healed with no surgery and have confidence go that route. I had right leg paralysis from the original spinal injury, and left foot neuropathy when the disc finally blew inwards. The laminectomies (2) both failed and the 2-level fusion did the job completely, regaining both legs and feet completely. That is drastic surgery to undertake. The disc are removed and pulverised bone from your hip is packed in anda titanium cage placed around the fusion. I had 2 plates screwed in to the vertebrae, also. See what Dnvrfox might offer here or shoot him a P.M., he is good people and probably has something to offer to you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13 NIV
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 12:46 PM   #6
California Crow

I'd really like to avoid the 'fusion thing'. My wife had that done a few years back, and I know well what she went through at the time. In her case, it was only a partial success. She's much better, but still deals with intermittent pain.

Last edited by California Crow; 03-04-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 02:22 PM   #7
Barry in GA

Bikes:
About 4 years ago, I had a large (~ 1cm x 2cm x 2cm) L3/4 extra-foraminal disc herniation that was causing severe pain in my left leg and left lower back. Couldn't walk, couldn't stand, couldn't sit and physical therapy did not help. The only thing that stopped the pain was lots of oxycodone.

In my case, a micro discectomy (a fancy laminectomy through a small incision) eliminated the severe pain literally overnight. The post surgery pain was nothing compared to the herniated disc. I took it easy for a couple of months and have been riding, playing golf, etc. ever since with no problems. Perhaps my surgical results were better than most, but I did not see any other choice if I wanted to be active and avoid lots of pain medication.

Last edited by Barry in GA; 03-04-11 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typing faster than thinking
Barry in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 02:54 PM   #8
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
My spinal surgery was in the neck area. The channel for the spinal cord was becoming reduced, so the neurosurgeon drilled out the spinal bone and then took some bone off my pelvis and grafted it to the spinal bone. I was in a neck brace and not riding for about a week. I kept the neck brace on for the first month, but was riding the rollers. After the brace came off, the doc said I should stay off the roads for another month, but I was back a bit sooner than that. The surgery was on Oct. 25, and I've been back riding all 2011, no problems, with right arm getting stronger each week. (For nerve regeneration, the neurosurgeon said the rule of thumb is about an inch per month.) Good luck!

L.
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote