Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing what you know now, are you sorry you dumped your first bike?

My first good bike, back in 1972 or 3, was a very stock Peugeot PX-10. It had Stronglight cranks, Lyotard pedals, Simplex gears, Mafac Racer brakes, Brooks Pro saddle, and French tubular wheels (cheap French rims attached to Normandy hubs). It was made of Reynolds 531, and it had the French-language version of the sticker. All the PX-10s I ever saw were painted white, with black Nervex lugs with the fancy scalloping.

Knowing what I know now, after riding seriously for close to 40 years, I kind of regret having sold that bike to upgrade to a Schwinn Paramount. I didn't really need to; it was perfectly sufficient for the level of racing I was engaged in (with some component upgrades, of course!), and likely would have lasted quite a few years. Good steel frames are quite reliable and provide a lively ride.

But of course, if some 60-year-old guy had told me that back in 1973, I would have just ignored him and looked forward to the next ultimate ride. Guess I've grown up and no longer into n+1...

Come to think of it, I'm also sorry I dumped my first girlfriend. Sigh...

Luis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sorry I dumped my first "10 speed" bike. It was a Schwinn Varsity and I don't miss it a bit. There are, however, others bikes I do which I had kept. Most notable is the Schwinn Voyager with the full chrome frame. It was one of the most comfortable long distance touring bikes I've ever owned.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect you're talking about good bikes because my first bike would be absolutely useless to me right now. But, like you, I also had a PX-10, but the PO had modded it quite a bit. It was repainted, the Nervex lugs were chromed, w/ a Stronglight 105 bis/Campy Record drivetrain, Record pedals (yeah, the threading was messed up...), Universal Super 68 brakes, gold Montlery tubs on Record hi-flange hubs, and Cinelli bar and stem. I actually still have about 80% of the parts on my steelie right now, but every now and then I do wish I had hung on to the frame because the one that replaced it was pretty crappy. Reynolds 531 db was good stuff in its day.

At least you got a Paramount!

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sorry about my first bike,
    however do regret loosing my second bike -
    a Schwinn Suburban with 1x5, a 14-32 cassette and a 39 t chain ring.
    think i got it in '71, about '79 let my sister take it to college - it got stolen.
    ride long & prosper

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sorry I dumped my first bike either, but I am sorry about my last bike. This one is better alright but not that much and I wish I had the money back. I seldom impulse buy, almost never, but ... live and learn.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first geared bike was a Varsity. What a pile of doo. I updated it with SunTour shifters and derailleur, and Mafac centerpull brakes. It was still a pile.
    My first good bike was a Raleigh team. I'm not sorry that I threw the frame in the trash after it broke. I bought a Vitus 979 to replace it. That frame is a keeper, because it rides well and I spent a lot of time on it back in the day so I have an emotional attachment to it.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first 'adult' bike was a Schwinn Continental. I don't miss it.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    1969 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first road bike was nothing fancy (Raleigh Record) that I'd want today, plus I couldn't use it now anyways because it would be too small for me. I bought it when I was 14 or 15 years old.

Now my red Schwinn StingRay that had a 5 speed stick shift and Slick rear tire I do really wish I could have kept. It was in mint condition when I traded it in for the Record.

Thankfully I kept and married the best girlfriend! Been together 32 years now.
    Have Bike, Will Travel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never miss any gear I sell especially bikes. The new ones are better.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually sorry whenever I dump any of my bikes, and I've dumped them all at one time or another. Then, I just climb back on and continue on my way.

Now on a more serious note......I do miss a few bikes that I've sent away to new owners, but it seems there are always other bikes to take their place

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had bikes on and off for years, but my first "serious" bike was a Trek 7500 FX that I got for commuting and occasional long rides. Two years after I bought it I won a Specialized Allez in a raffle (I call it my $50 bike ). The road bike was much better suited to the long rides I'd come to enjoy. I also had a professional fit done on it so I realized my Trek was actually a bit too small. Last year I sold the Trek to a newbie rider who fit the frame and I bought a Specialized Sirrus hybrid to replace it.

I don't regret getting rid of the Trek because it really didn't fit me.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first good bike was a Peugeot U-08, bought very used. My second good bike was a new Peugeot U-08. I gave the first one to my girlfriend. Both were stolen within a few months of each other, one in Hawaii, the other in Venice Italy. So, no I didn't dump either one.

My third good bike was a Nishiki/American Eagle that I got for a pile of wood left over when I stopped making a shipping container: because said girlfriend dumped me, so I didn't move to Hawaii. Happily, the Nishiki is about 10 feet from where I sit at this moment.

But it is in semi-retirement. The real bicycling duties are done on a Bacchetta recumbent and a modified Specialized Hard Rock.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 03-04-11 at 06:44 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Retro-guy
    My Bikes
    1980 Raleigh Super Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have the 1980 Raleigh Super Record (sort of a cross between a Record Ace and a Grand Prix), that I got a couple of years out of college (in 1980). I had had a Schwinn Varsity since middle-school, but it got stolen my freshman year at college.

Up until getting a new 2010 bike a bit over a year ago, the Raleigh was my "daily driver", and served me well. I had put a new saddle on it, and also clipless pedals (oh, and also replaced the stock stem shifters with NOS Suntour down-tube shifters), but everything else was original, and still in good shape. But now I'm questioning whether I should hold on to it, since I've basically stopped riding it. I suppose it could be a rain-bike. I've also thought about converting it to a fixie (probably with a reversible hub, so it could be either a fixie, or a coasting single-speed). But would I really ride it????

Another thought is to put the old rat-trap pedals back on (which have some old Christophe toe-clips), so that I can ride it in regular shoes, and use it for errands, etc. I don't think I'm ready to part with it, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother still talks about his first bike. He wishes he still had it. He rode that thing for years. A Schwinn Orange Crate- now that was one cool bike:

My first bike was a red single speed girls bike. I hated it. The following Christmas I got a Varsity and rode it for years. Then when I moved out I bought myself a 'super expensive' Italian bike in champaigne color for several hundred dollars (it had 12 gears- oooo). I loved that bike. I rode it for a number of years, got married, had kids and husband hated riding bikes, so that was that. I sold it. Over the next 20 years I would pick up a bike here and there (mostly cast offs) and husband would whine about them being in the way. He was a butt about the bikes. I told him a few years ago I was buying a bike and he either needed to get one and ride with me or I was riding alone. He gave in and bought one, too. Now we both bought really nice ones. I am loving them.

Why do I like bikes so much? Kind of weird for a middle aged lady...

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much of a sentimentalist when it comes to hanging on to bicycles.
    Have owned a few nice singles and 5 tandems.
    Did have a UO8, a PX10 (black!), Fuji Finest, several C'dales and some others that were less memorable.
    Currently ride a custom c/f Zona tandem and a Zona single.
    Bikes are meant to be ridden and enjoyed. However, am not a collector and rather sell the bike than see it gathering dust.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Bikes are meant to be ridden and enjoyed. However, am not a collector and rather sell the bike than see it gathering dust.
    I understand how you feel. However, with my Nishiki/American Eagle, I can't see casting it out to the world, on a path that would lead to becoming part of a tall bike, seeing rough usage and a quick decay, or similar path. Old 10 speeds get no respect.

It sits proudly in my dining room with my other bikes. I still enjoy it from time to time, and it's done me so well that I cannot return the steadfast service with callousness. No other bike has such memories.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 03-05-11 at 08:09 AM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my HS 10-spd was stolen from my parents garage (according to my brother). after I moved to Boston I built a Frankenstein from found parts. it would be another 24 years before I got serious about biking and start shopping to replace the lost bike
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first road bike was a Sears Free Spirit 10 speed. It was nothing special and was easy to part with once I got my first real road bike while in college in 73. I still have the Raleigh Super Course that I restored several years ago with mostly upgraded parts and bits. I'm glad that I didn't dump this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still have my first "serious" bike. A 72 Schwinn Wold traveler. I even still ride it occasionally in place of my other bikes.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post

Come to think of it, I'm also sorry I dumped my first girlfriend. Sigh...

Luis
    I also still have my first road bike. I'm glad that my first girlfriend and I went our own way, however;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-05-11 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would not have fit. It was a 1950 French light weight with three-cogs and dérailleur. Great climber. That was also the year I saw a stage of the Tour de France.

Al

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first real "adult" bike I bought 12 years ago at age 59, still have the Lemond BA, and plan on keeping it as my primary "ride" bike. It is now sort of a "classic" and I, amazingly, get a lot of positive comments on it from folks - especially in LBS's. I just spent $250 on it, and it is riding like new. Love it. I currently don't hanker for another bike, as it seems to get me where I want and back in pretty good shape.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't my first road bike; but I do regret selling my 1972 yellow Schwinn Super Sport. We usually went to Mass on Saturday afternoons. Sunday mornings while my wife and 4 children slept in, I rode. Boy, was it smooth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first real bike was a 1966 Black Stringray 5 Speed fastback. It was stolen in 67 or 68. Then a 1971 Honda Cl 350 that may not count for most of you. My latest is a 2010 Trek FX 7.3 which also may not count for some of you. I'm the weird looking one on the right along side Cranky Old Dude with his Tour Easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss my old Schwinn Stingray, but it would only be a dust-catcher; likewise with the old Schwinn 10-speed.

Other than that, no; my brother has my last "good" bike, and I'm riding the jewel of the list! It will be retired when it's no longer rideable, and I will keep the frame -- it's been too good for too long to just toss it........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast