Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A year+ of surgery - we don't want a repeat, PLEASE!!

End of October, 2009 - Andy had a 6 month undiscovered femur break repaired - 17 days in the hospital, with us living in a flea (or something that bites and caused red welts) ridden hospital guest facility across the street. Many months of rehabilitation for Andy.

March, 2010 - Nora had two cataract replacements - the EXPENSIVE multi-focal IOC lenses. One didn't work very well, and we spent appointment after appointment over months with various opthalmologists until one discovered that all she needed was a tear duct irrigation and some changes in eye medication. (SOmething that Nora had suggested all along - she used to be an opthalmogic nurse and did iririgations all the time - but everyone except one MD said they don't do that any more)

Severe back pain for Denver during the summer, months of physical therapy, etc., leading to back surgery - fusion and discectomy - October, 2010. Then months of physical therapy following.

Nora's right knee with a severe torn meniscus and aarthritis, leading to right knee replacement late January, and still in physical therapy right now. Looks like she might be able to start bicycling soon.

Along the way, just for the fun of it, I got two dental implants.

Anyway, my back is much better, Andy took two steps yesterday, Nora is walking without cane or walker, and my teeth look and feel better.

Along the way, my mom died.

Somehow, managed to get a few thousand miles of bicycling, swimming, resistance exercises in, and even a cruise to Alaska. My singing group is having its fifth anniversary concert this afternoon.

May the rest of 2011 bring a NON-SURGICAL year. I think we could use a break.

Same for all of you.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-05-11 at 07:48 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pray for a better year for you all. Like I always tell my kids, gettin old ain't for sissies.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days, every time I throw my leg over the bike in the driveway, I feel gratitude for being able to do so. Riding out early mornings I pass a few neighbors my age for whom a walk to the mailbox is an effort. My formerly hard riding group of 4 has been whittled down by stroke, surgery, and fading impetus to only me. Just a fact of life at 50Plus..... so I do savor each and every ride. And, no fatalist, I'm still looking at N+1. It ain't over till the fat lady sings and, judging by Dnvr, we just shove her back off stage and keep on drowning her out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life really is hard, and it's important for us to do what we can to help one another. Andy is lucky to have you and Nora as parents. Nora is lucky to have you as a husband, and you are lucky to have both of them. I'd suspect the cycling and other fitness stuff you do, Denver, makes you a better person for them and for you. Here's my wish that your wish comes true. A toast to a continued future with a few less bumps in the road!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers! I absolutely agree.
    An’ though the rules of the road have been lodged
    It’s only people’s games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long ago and in a universe far away I sailed solo to England and back from the East Coast, U.S. It would not be surprising that there was plenty of time to think. The principal thought that emerged was that almost all that happens in life is beyond our control. The one thing we can control is our response to events. In my puny opinion, you are doing fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,

I commend you for your fortitude and attitude. My wife (age 52) had a right knee total replacement this past Monday and I cannot remember ever having been this tired and stressed out, between being camped at the hospital or running to and from home and work. I cannot imagine how my wife is dealing with a level of pain we were warned about but had never experienced. I am also now dealing with a chronic pain in my right shoulder that feels more and more like a rotator cuff injury, but will have to wait to deal with it after my wife can drive again. This seems to be a bit of what getting old(er) is all about, managing injuries and illnesses. Who Knew !. So no swimming for me and right now I have no time for the bike or much else but I know I will get out riding one of these days as March SLOWLY warms up here in NY and am looking forward to that day.

Be well and hang in there.

Steve B.
    Last edited by Lightingguy; 03-05-11 at 05:45 PM.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr, you and I don't see eye to eye on much, but I will say I admire your commitment to your family, and particularly to your son and his care and maintenance. That commitment is something that those surrounded by able-bodied and minded people can only imagine. Hope this year is a good one.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what everyone has said here. I am inspired by what you do naturally. Heck I read this forum and see folks doing amazing things everyday. Liked NOS88 comment about sweeping the fat lady off stage and moving on for more. Keep on going Denver. Like Forrest Gump.... Run Forrest! Run!
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's time for your family to have a break. Enjoy your "new bodies".
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, some good news. The singing group I started 5 years ago had the 5th year celebration concert last night - one day early. We sang an hour, I sang a solo while playing the guitar, backed up by the group. Not much of an audience, but that will come March 13th when we will be leading the services in our church. ANyway, it was a lot of fun. That's 108 performances to over 20,000 folks in 5 years, all across the state.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pray you, Nora, and Andy get a well-deserved break this year, Denver.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker