Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diuretics and biking

Since I been biking, my blood pressure has become VERY much easier to control. A year and a half ago, I was taking massive doses of 3 different meds but even then the BP levels weren't what you would refer to as controlled. I'm now down to one med and that one a half of the previous dosage. I will always be on BP meds, it's genetic, I've been hypertensive since my early 30's and my whole family takes BP meds.

The one med that I still take contains 25 mg HCTZ, a diuretic. With hot weather coming on, I'm worried that it will predispose me to dehydration. Last year I tried switching the dose time to the evening but getting out of bed to pee several times just doesn't get it.

A few weeks ago, I did an experiment where I weighed myself prior to a 80 minute ride and immediately after, and also took into account the weight of water consumed during the ride. This in Florida and the temp was in the mid-70's. Between lost weight + weight of water consumed (24 oz or 1.51 pounds) water consumed the difference was 6.2 pounds for 1 hr 20 minutes. Give it another 3 months and that figure is going way up and I'm a little worried about the effect of starting in a semi-dehydrated condition.

Anyone have knowledge or thoughts on this. Most obviously, I will bring it up with my internist but surely someone here has been through it.

BTW: I'm now riding a LOT harder than last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dieuretics can make your saline levels drop substantially,and dangeriously, I only know this after having been prescribed some for an inner ear problem,and then spending a week in the hospital,and coming way to near to "bite'n' the big one"Be careful...
    Bud

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ben on it for almost 30 years (genetics here as well) and I just take it post-ride.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discuss it with your doctor. Be sure he knows and understands what you're doing and your concerns. There are other approaches to essential hypertension that may have much less impact on your state of hydration. In any case, this is one you really want to talk over with a professional.

I had something similar when I was first diagnosed with hypertension a few years ago. Mine was cause by a basically crappy life-style. Anyway, I was put on a beta blocker, which worked fine until I made a real commitment to clean up my act. Which included getting back on the bike after a 20-something year hiatus. The problem was as I (dramatically) improved my cardio-vascular fitness, the beta blockers dropped my heart rate down into the 30's at one point. Not good. After a talk with my cardiologist, I got switched over to an ACE inhibitor. Problem solved. Fortunately for me, the combination of smoking cessation, far healthier diet, loosing 50 lbs. and a vigorous riding schedule got me to a point where I'm off all B/P meds altogether. I'm still walking around with a resting HR in the high 40's to low 50's, but my doctor's happy and so am I

-Bert
    Last edited by bsektzer; 03-05-11 at 05:12 PM.

My Bikes
    Cervelo RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm taking HCTZ along with Lisinopril. The combination is doing a good job of controlling my BP to normal (120/80) levels, but when I go on a long ride my BP is pretty low when I return home. Last time I checked right after a 40 mile ride, it was 84/60. Doc says as long as I don't feel dizzy it's OK. I haven't noticed any negative side effects as far as riding in the heat. When it's really hot (this is Texas and it does get really hot) I will take two water bottles plus a 2 liter camelback if it's going to be 40 miles or longer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take 25 mg every morning and have no problems with it. I do know where the portapottys are, however.

84/60
    That's my wife's normal BP

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I take 25 mg every morning and have no problems with it. I do know where the portapottys are, however.
    I've never had problems either. I usually wait until later in the morning before I go out for ride.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100