Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do YOU Avoid Neck Pain?

From another thread, it seems that a number of us deal with neck soreness. Mine comes and goes.

Currently my strategy is to have the handlebars about level with the seat, and try to stretch/roll shoulders periodically while riding. I also try to keep my head down a bit, looking to the middle distance through the top of my glasses.

Any other strategies or tips?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect fit is one thing. You also need validation/clearance that you have no ortho or neuro problems that manifest themselves to create the pain. If those hurdles are passed, the next piece is to get your body prepared to deal with neck pain and overcome it. The biggest part is working with a QUALIFIED physical therapist/personal trainer (NASM certified) to strengthen the specific and supporting areas to help you eliminate, or minimize, pain. The trainer needs to know what you are experiencing and what your goals are in order to be able to help you. I have been down this path with back surgery and rehabilitation, and IMHO, a qualified personal trainer (and massage therapist working in conjunction with my PT) is invaluable. With the right help, I was able to go from riding 10 miles with a lot of pain to doing multiple double centuries with very little pain. Doubles are going to hurt, no matter how much you are in shape, so that is the caveat.
    Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strengthen the muscles of the shoulders, back and neck. You can do that with the machines in a gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drugs. But outwest5's idea is better.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest pain in the neck was my ex. Sixteen years now pain-in-the-neck-free.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest5 View Post
    Strengthen the muscles of the shoulders, back and neck. You can do that with the machines in a gym.
    +1 Although we purchased equipment that allows me to do this at home. If I don't keep on top of my upper body routine, my neck is the first thing to remind me that I'm being negligent. IMO fit is the first step, but it may not be enough. Depending on how much you ride, you may need more strength than the typical person to keep your head up at an angle that allows you to see the road.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find a good bike fitting is one of the key factors, along with just riding a lot and keeping teh neck stretched. The more I ride with my well fitting road bike, the more comfortable my neck is. I ride on the bar tops and in the drops to be sure and stretch my neck on every ride. As a result I never get soreness i the neck, even with regular long rides (80-110 miles). I think this combination would work for all, and I think that the body is very adaptable if you set up a program that stretches the neck over time. Ride, ride ride!

My set up
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Upright riding.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Condorita View Post
    Upright riding.
    It's the necks best thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No neck pain for me. Found the proper set up for me, have all the measurements and check them from time to time. Also, somewhere read or saw an article on how when lions attack they stretch out their spines and necks. When i started riding again in 09 i looked at my shadow and made sure not to hunch my shoulders, but to stretch out as much as possible my spine and neck. Now it is second nature.

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raising the handlebars is the best thing I've done. My neck started bothering me whenever I was riding my Trek 560, I raised the handlebars about 1/4 inch and the pain went away. I went from 23 to 25 mm tires, dropped 10PSI and the ache in my wrists disappeared as well.
    My new Hunqapillar is set with the handlebars just above the seat level and after my first 25 mile ride I had now aches, pains or stiffness anywhere.

http://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...g-over-me.html

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    My biggest pain in the neck was my ex. Sixteen years now pain-in-the-neck-free.
    Is it true that she tells everyone you were a much bigger pain to her, where she sits down?

Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    I find a good bike fitting is one of the key factors, along with just riding a lot and keeping teh neck stretched. The more I ride with my well fitting road bike, the more comfortable my neck is. I ride on the bar tops and in the drops to be sure and stretch my neck on every ride. As a result I never get soreness i the neck, even with regular long rides (80-110 miles). I think this combination would work for all, and I think that the body is very adaptable if you set up a program that stretches the neck over time. Ride, ride ride!
    Agreed. Most problems are due to 1) a big increase in miles over what you've been doing, 2) a poor fit, or 3) some physical problem.

For most people, the solution to neck pain is just gradually increase your mileage. A good massage from time to time will also help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ones back angle is set by saddle to bar distance as well as bar height. On my mountain bike, the bar is about 1.5" below the saddle, but my back angle is the same as my road bike which has the bar the same height as the saddle. I keep my back angle at 45 to 50 degrees (on the hoods for road) and never have had a neck issue. I have had a lower back issue once in a while, but a hyper-extension bench/Roman chair took care of that.

When I set up a bike, I always set my back angle. The wife does the measurement while I brace against a work bench with my knee.

Some folks just have neck issues I think. My wife suffers from that periodically and has all her life.

Al

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raised my Cinelli 1A stem to minimum insertion height, which is still almost 9 cm below the nose of my saddle but that's not a comfort issue for me. The thing that really helped was removing the visor from my cheapie Bell helmet - makes looking ahead much easier!
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed the way my bike fits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raising the bar should help but a good overall fit is best. Spend a few bucks and get a good bike fit to make sure everything else is where it should be.
    Also make sure that you are riding with your elbows bent a little so that your arms can can absorb the road shock. Otherwise the road shock will be transferred to your shoulders and neck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_14902.gif

*Common sense clearly isn't common*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A LWB recumbent did the trick for me, too. There's nothing quite like riding into the scenery, back straight with lumbar support, neck and shoulders relaxed and in a natural position. Taking in the view is great. bk

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See a good chiropractor & have them keep your neck loose & in line. I do push ups to keep my muscles strong & keep my bars high, can still use the drops when I draft with friends. I have a neck full of arthritis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper fit, and (for me) this:

Sirrus.jpg

rather than this:
    Roubaix.jpg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't ride my Road bike [RB1] much anymore. it's lovely though..

My Trekking bars are set up Higher than the saddle on the bike I do ride more..

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Proper fit, and (for me) this:

Sirrus.jpg

rather than this:
    Roubaix.jpg
    Interesting. Are you saying that rotating your wrists about 90 degrees inward prevents neck pain?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used this and Lortabs for the last three months, feels great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Interesting. Are you saying that rotating your wrists about 90 degrees inward prevents neck pain?
    If you mean "rotating one's wrists back and forth through about 90 degrees, moving from grips to bar ends and back to grips etc., thereby reducing a build up of tension/stress through the arms/shoulders/neck/upper back on long rides" helps prevent neck pain, then yes, it does, for me at least (for reasons explained to me in much more precise/technical language by my physiotherapist).
    There are other reasons for my particular bike set-up/preferences, but that is certainly one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast