Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My "Bucket List Tour"

Okay, I'm in my early 50s (yea I made it), I am single, no kids, wife, girlfriend, career that are keeping me where I am. I have for sometime been thinking of going off on a tour to end all tours, the ultimate would be all four corners of the US, but in between are places that I haven't seen or enjoyed, would enjoy hearing some of your "must see" places.
    I have it hanging in the balance as I am also thinking of changing my employment venue, if it doesn't turn by May 1 then I'm "Audi 500."
    My current plan is to ride to the Black Hills, see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, then keep going west to the Custer Battlefield, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Glacier, Salt Lake City, Dinosaur National Monument, and then Telluride, for the bluegrass festival. What i am going to do after that hasn't been planned yet. It would be mid June, so the Southwest and South would be in the beginnings of Summer's heat. Might do to head to the East coast and get Maine's corner out of the way, and spend the last of summer along the Atlantic coast to Florida, and get that out of the way, and head west. Thoughts of heading to New Orleans to do some volunteer work scrapping slime and paint in the Lower 9th Ward. There is going back to Texas where I spent a lot of time as a kid, in the Hill country.
    If I am lucky I'll figure out how to do this and keep doing it till I'm 70 or 80. If I'm not its a tour that remains in the bucket and some day I'll get around to it.
    "I will remain the stranger who came from a faraway land." Lance Armstrong

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you become." Miller "Repo Man"

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions. It will be fun hearing all of the planning and possible hook up with members along the tour.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That quite a plan and there it is sure doable. Good luck Keep us up to date with the agenda.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you got your finances figured out. Details are none of our business, but I think we're all jealous that you can do it.

I have this vintage GT Xizang mountain bike that I've bonded with. I know: mountain bikes to most of you guys are only good for using as wintertime beaters. But I bought mine new in 1995 and over the 16 years since, have fallen ever more in love with her shiny titanium frame. I've already had "Lady Xizang" lots of different places, and I've been thinking that I would like to take her to the rest of the country plus Central America.

If only there were little stickers for the various states, that I could collect and put on the rack, frame or maybe my panniers, like people used to do with old steamer trunks...
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    If only there were little stickers for the various states, that I could collect and put on the rack, frame or maybe my panniers, like people used to do with old steamer trunks...
    Don't they still make those little license plates with people's names on them?
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naisme View Post
    Okay, I'm in my early 50s (yea I made it), I am single, no kids, wife, girlfriend, career that are keeping me where I am. I have for sometime been thinking of going off on a tour to end all tours, the ultimate would be all four corners of the US, but in between are places that I haven't seen or enjoyed, would enjoy hearing some of your "must see" places.
    I have it hanging in the balance as I am also thinking of changing my employment venue, if it doesn't turn by May 1 then I'm "Audi 500."
    My current plan is to ride to the Black Hills, see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, then keep going west to the Custer Battlefield, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Glacier, Salt Lake City, Dinosaur National Monument, and then Telluride, for the bluegrass festival. What i am going to do after that hasn't been planned yet. It would be mid June, so the Southwest and South would be in the beginnings of Summer's heat. Might do to head to the East coast and get Maine's corner out of the way, and spend the last of summer along the Atlantic coast to Florida, and get that out of the way, and head west. Thoughts of heading to New Orleans to do some volunteer work scrapping slime and paint in the Lower 9th Ward. There is going back to Texas where I spent a lot of time as a kid, in the Hill country.
    If I am lucky I'll figure out how to do this and keep doing it till I'm 70 or 80. If I'm not its a tour that remains in the bucket and some day I'll get around to it.
    "Where ya been is good and gone, all ya keep's the getting there." Townes Van Zandt

"Me? I'm still on the road, heading for another joint" Bob Dylan

Good luck man, sounds fun

2010 Jamis Quest

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to ya, you're doing what I'd love to do (while hauling my daughter along, she a 2-wheeled beast!).

Consider:

-while in the Black Hills region, the Maah Daah Hey Trail, 96 miles of all levels of challenge;
    -Moab, Utah;
    -Flagstaff/Grand Canyon area;
    -maybe even the San Juan Hut System!

Yup -- lots of MTB destinations, you know where MY head is.....

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been married about 70% of my life. Marriage can be a lot of work and can sometimes cause pain. From my experience sharing my life has been the best part. My bucket list would be incomplete without the experience.

I did add riding the Hotter N' Hell 100 to my bucket list last year. I wasn't satisfied with my performance; so, I will have to complete it again before I can cross it off. My younger colleagues didn't even make it to Hell's Gate; so, I guess I should be happy I completed the 102 mi.

I am leaving for Nairobi tomorrow, that trip has been on my bucket list for a long time.

My job is very satisfying and allows me the ability to expand my horizons and travel the globe. I think traveling in my youth (age 62) will be more satisfying now than when I retire.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
    Don't they still make those little license plates with people's names on them?
    Just how many of those little license plates can a guy tack onto one bike???
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I envy your freedom. Have a great trip and keep us posted.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three great bike rides to consider:

Zion national park (Road closed to all cars).

Tour d'alene Trail in Idaho.

San Juan Islands (in Washington)

Here's a buffalo in our campsite in Yellowstone:

In case it will give you some more ideas, here are blogs from our car/bike trips:

http://carbiketrip.blogspot.com/

http://pages.suddenlink.net/tripsite/Idaho1.htm

http://pages.suddenlink.net/tripsite/SanJuan.html
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 03-07-11 at 08:20 AM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just how many of those little license plates can a guy tack onto one bike???
    n+1, +2, +3 just to hold the souvenirs!

The trick is finding Xizang. I'm sure Stan is easier

2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you done Ragbrai?

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is, I wish I could do that sort of thing (maybe in the next life haha). Sounds fantastic.

One place I'd love to go cycling is Ireland. My wife and I were there on a bus tour for a couple of weeks last summer and if you don't mind the rain it's an incredible place for cycling. The hills and mountains there aren't bad in terms of elevation but man, they are steep ! I mentioned that I'd love to do some riding in one particularly hilly area to our drive/guide. Poor Joe just stared at me and said "You would ? "

I saw quite a few bike tours out there on the road and we even passed by one tour group all on tandems. There must have been about 30 bikes in that one. It was like a watching a human powered express train literally flying down the road.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not riden RAGBRAI, but that might be something to do. I work part time at a bike shop where the owner takes off and rides RAGBRAI. Zion looks like a blast, and i'd forgotten about MOAB. When I think of Texas, there's the Hill Country, but there's also Big Bend, and the coast. It's a big country.
    "I will remain the stranger who came from a faraway land." Lance Armstrong

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you become." Miller "Repo Man"

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a set of rides that should be on your bucket list. Epic climbs in CA. Probably early June, or whenever the snow has cleared off the higher routes.
    http://www.bikecal.com/bill/columns-....asp?bRecNo=13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
    n+1, +2, +3 just to hold the souvenirs!

The trick is finding Xizang. I'm sure Stan is easier
    Xizang is the sweet little titanium GT mountain bike, and Stan is the lardass weighing her down!
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xizang is the sweet little titanium GT mountain bike, and Stan is the lardass weighing her down!
    I've heard of the GT Xizang, it's named after the capital city in Xizangistan!

2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously speaking of "bucket lists" a friend and I were discussing mine yesterday after our ride... I want to hike Katmandu to Everest Base Camp... not certain why and pretty much know I won't ever do it... but I dream of it alot.

That said... get on your bike and just ride... you will be amazed at what you find. There are so many beautiful areas in the USA to ride; all along the Pacific Coast, all of Utah, many places in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Texas from Fredericks to Austin is great. Little places like Fresno, CA in February and March and do the Blossom Trail.

You mentioned one of my all time favorite areas: Yellowstone and the Tetons. If you make it down to California, consider the riding out and around Mammoth Lakes, a mecca for both road and mountain riding. And there's the Oregon Coast... gosh that's beautiful. Maybe plan to join a ride through Utah - I recommend LAGBRAU. You ride some of the most beautiful country in the USA!

Jealous you are so unencumbered. Someday...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to do other countries. I'm a little concerned over safety - my personal safety and my bike's - as I go through border crossings and strange places like Mexico. (Yes, I know a little about Mexico, as I've been there a number of times. But the drug wars are leaving me more than a little concerned).

Then there's that REALLY strange place, called Canada. Where they have as much as 3 weeks of summer, eh?
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do a four corners tour. That is, visit the four corners of the U.S. Maine, Florida, SoCal, and Washington state. Pick a town near the far borders of each state and plot your route. Of course, Florida is easy, Key West. Take pix of each corner and post it as you go. See the country.

Lady Xizang should be fine as long as you make the touring upgrades that enable her to go the distance under load.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erie Canal in the fall, about Oct 1st.

From Albany to Buffalo, NY, from the Hudson River to Lake Erie.

363 miles, over 500 ft elevation differential. (Downhill from Buffalo)

Never too far from towns, restaurants and hotels.

You could do worse...