Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-11, 07:35 AM   #1
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My "Bucket List Tour"

Okay, I'm in my early 50s (yea I made it), I am single, no kids, wife, girlfriend, career that are keeping me where I am. I have for sometime been thinking of going off on a tour to end all tours, the ultimate would be all four corners of the US, but in between are places that I haven't seen or enjoyed, would enjoy hearing some of your "must see" places.
I have it hanging in the balance as I am also thinking of changing my employment venue, if it doesn't turn by May 1 then I'm "Audi 500."
My current plan is to ride to the Black Hills, see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, then keep going west to the Custer Battlefield, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Glacier, Salt Lake City, Dinosaur National Monument, and then Telluride, for the bluegrass festival. What i am going to do after that hasn't been planned yet. It would be mid June, so the Southwest and South would be in the beginnings of Summer's heat. Might do to head to the East coast and get Maine's corner out of the way, and spend the last of summer along the Atlantic coast to Florida, and get that out of the way, and head west. Thoughts of heading to New Orleans to do some volunteer work scrapping slime and paint in the Lower 9th Ward. There is going back to Texas where I spent a lot of time as a kid, in the Hill country.
If I am lucky I'll figure out how to do this and keep doing it till I'm 70 or 80. If I'm not its a tour that remains in the bucket and some day I'll get around to it.
naisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 08:08 AM   #2
hikeandbike

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
Good luck. I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions. It will be fun hearing all of the planning and possible hook up with members along the tour.
hikeandbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 08:22 AM   #3
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
That quite a plan and there it is sure doable. Good luck Keep us up to date with the agenda.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 08:26 AM   #4
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
Sounds like you got your finances figured out. Details are none of our business, but I think we're all jealous that you can do it.

I have this vintage GT Xizang mountain bike that I've bonded with. I know: mountain bikes to most of you guys are only good for using as wintertime beaters. But I bought mine new in 1995 and over the 16 years since, have fallen ever more in love with her shiny titanium frame. I've already had "Lady Xizang" lots of different places, and I've been thinking that I would like to take her to the rest of the country plus Central America.

If only there were little stickers for the various states, that I could collect and put on the rack, frame or maybe my panniers, like people used to do with old steamer trunks...
xizangstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 09:30 AM   #5
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
If only there were little stickers for the various states, that I could collect and put on the rack, frame or maybe my panniers, like people used to do with old steamer trunks...
Don't they still make those little license plates with people's names on them?
Garilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 09:32 AM   #6
Garilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by naisme View Post
Okay, I'm in my early 50s (yea I made it), I am single, no kids, wife, girlfriend, career that are keeping me where I am. I have for sometime been thinking of going off on a tour to end all tours, the ultimate would be all four corners of the US, but in between are places that I haven't seen or enjoyed, would enjoy hearing some of your "must see" places.
I have it hanging in the balance as I am also thinking of changing my employment venue, if it doesn't turn by May 1 then I'm "Audi 500."
My current plan is to ride to the Black Hills, see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, then keep going west to the Custer Battlefield, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Glacier, Salt Lake City, Dinosaur National Monument, and then Telluride, for the bluegrass festival. What i am going to do after that hasn't been planned yet. It would be mid June, so the Southwest and South would be in the beginnings of Summer's heat. Might do to head to the East coast and get Maine's corner out of the way, and spend the last of summer along the Atlantic coast to Florida, and get that out of the way, and head west. Thoughts of heading to New Orleans to do some volunteer work scrapping slime and paint in the Lower 9th Ward. There is going back to Texas where I spent a lot of time as a kid, in the Hill country.
If I am lucky I'll figure out how to do this and keep doing it till I'm 70 or 80. If I'm not its a tour that remains in the bucket and some day I'll get around to it.
"Where ya been is good and gone, all ya keep's the getting there." Townes Van Zandt

"Me? I'm still on the road, heading for another joint" Bob Dylan

Good luck man, sounds fun
Old 03-06-11, 10:25 AM   #7
DX-MAN
Banned

Bikes:
Good luck to ya, you're doing what I'd love to do (while hauling my daughter along, she a 2-wheeled beast!).

Consider:

-while in the Black Hills region, the Maah Daah Hey Trail, 96 miles of all levels of challenge;
-Moab, Utah;
-Flagstaff/Grand Canyon area;
-maybe even the San Juan Hut System!

Yup -- lots of MTB destinations, you know where MY head is.....
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 10:59 AM   #8
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
I have been married about 70% of my life. Marriage can be a lot of work and can sometimes cause pain. From my experience sharing my life has been the best part. My bucket list would be incomplete without the experience.

I did add riding the Hotter N' Hell 100 to my bucket list last year. I wasn't satisfied with my performance; so, I will have to complete it again before I can cross it off. My younger colleagues didn't even make it to Hell's Gate; so, I guess I should be happy I completed the 102 mi.

I am leaving for Nairobi tomorrow, that trip has been on my bucket list for a long time.

My job is very satisfying and allows me the ability to expand my horizons and travel the globe. I think traveling in my youth (age 62) will be more satisfying now than when I retire.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 11:24 PM   #9
xizangstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
Don't they still make those little license plates with people's names on them?
Just how many of those little license plates can a guy tack onto one bike???
Old 03-07-11, 07:23 AM   #10
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I envy your freedom. Have a great trip and keep us posted.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 09:15 AM   #11
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Three great bike rides to consider:

Zion national park (Road closed to all cars).

Tour d'alene Trail in Idaho.

San Juan Islands (in Washington)

Here's a buffalo in our campsite in Yellowstone:

In case it will give you some more ideas, here are blogs from our car/bike trips:

http://carbiketrip.blogspot.com/

http://pages.suddenlink.net/tripsite/Idaho1.htm

http://pages.suddenlink.net/tripsite/SanJuan.html

Last edited by TromboneAl; 03-07-11 at 09:20 AM.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 10:07 AM   #12
Garilia

Quote:
Just how many of those little license plates can a guy tack onto one bike???
n+1, +2, +3 just to hold the souvenirs!

The trick is finding Xizang. I'm sure Stan is easier
Old 03-07-11, 11:44 AM   #13
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Have you done Ragbrai?
crazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 12:01 PM   #14
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
All I can say is, I wish I could do that sort of thing (maybe in the next life haha). Sounds fantastic.

One place I'd love to go cycling is Ireland. My wife and I were there on a bus tour for a couple of weeks last summer and if you don't mind the rain it's an incredible place for cycling. The hills and mountains there aren't bad in terms of elevation but man, they are steep ! I mentioned that I'd love to do some riding in one particularly hilly area to our drive/guide. Poor Joe just stared at me and said "You would ? "

I saw quite a few bike tours out there on the road and we even passed by one tour group all on tandems. There must have been about 30 bikes in that one. It was like a watching a human powered express train literally flying down the road.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 08:17 PM   #15
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns
I have not riden RAGBRAI, but that might be something to do. I work part time at a bike shop where the owner takes off and rides RAGBRAI. Zion looks like a blast, and i'd forgotten about MOAB. When I think of Texas, there's the Hill Country, but there's also Big Bend, and the coast. It's a big country.
naisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 11:33 PM   #16
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
Here are a set of rides that should be on your bucket list. Epic climbs in CA. Probably early June, or whenever the snow has cleared off the higher routes.
http://www.bikecal.com/bill/columns-....asp?bRecNo=13
VaultGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 04:02 PM   #17
xizangstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
n+1, +2, +3 just to hold the souvenirs!

The trick is finding Xizang. I'm sure Stan is easier
Xizang is the sweet little titanium GT mountain bike, and Stan is the lardass weighing her down!
Old 03-14-11, 07:43 AM   #18
Garilia

Quote:
Xizang is the sweet little titanium GT mountain bike, and Stan is the lardass weighing her down!
I've heard of the GT Xizang, it's named after the capital city in Xizangistan!
Old 03-14-11, 02:12 PM   #19
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Seriously speaking of "bucket lists" a friend and I were discussing mine yesterday after our ride... I want to hike Katmandu to Everest Base Camp... not certain why and pretty much know I won't ever do it... but I dream of it alot.

That said... get on your bike and just ride... you will be amazed at what you find. There are so many beautiful areas in the USA to ride; all along the Pacific Coast, all of Utah, many places in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Texas from Fredericks to Austin is great. Little places like Fresno, CA in February and March and do the Blossom Trail.

You mentioned one of my all time favorite areas: Yellowstone and the Tetons. If you make it down to California, consider the riding out and around Mammoth Lakes, a mecca for both road and mountain riding. And there's the Oregon Coast... gosh that's beautiful. Maybe plan to join a ride through Utah - I recommend LAGBRAU. You ride some of the most beautiful country in the USA!

Jealous you are so unencumbered. Someday...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 10:05 AM   #20
xizangstan

I would love to do other countries. I'm a little concerned over safety - my personal safety and my bike's - as I go through border crossings and strange places like Mexico. (Yes, I know a little about Mexico, as I've been there a number of times. But the drug wars are leaving me more than a little concerned).

Then there's that REALLY strange place, called Canada. Where they have as much as 3 weeks of summer, eh?
Old 03-15-11, 10:34 AM   #21
tom cotter

Bikes:
You could do a four corners tour. That is, visit the four corners of the U.S. Maine, Florida, SoCal, and Washington state. Pick a town near the far borders of each state and plot your route. Of course, Florida is easy, Key West. Take pix of each corner and post it as you go. See the country.

Lady Xizang should be fine as long as you make the touring upgrades that enable her to go the distance under load.
tom cotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 07:21 PM   #22
colpatrick

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads
Erie Canal in the fall, about Oct 1st.

From Albany to Buffalo, NY, from the Hudson River to Lake Erie.

363 miles, over 500 ft elevation differential. (Downhill from Buffalo)

Never too far from towns, restaurants and hotels.

You could do worse...
colpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote