Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-11, 01:25 PM   #1
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
101.7 mi Tour de Cure - Broward Co., FL. Fun going north, but we paid the piper.

Did the Tour de Cure, 100 mi route. The first part of the route was north. We had a nice tail wind. We paid the price when we made the turn. Speed dropped and the old HR went up.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/307288

Now the club is all coming over for a BBQ. I need a nap!
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 03:06 PM   #2
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
How high were the winds? They can really work on a person. Side or front it can make a ride much harder. Once in the Tour de Tucson I had to pedal down hill to keep from stopping.
My last century, The Tour de Safford in Arizona was a bear. Winds started around 10 mph and went up to over 25 mph and lots of climbing. One grade was 17 miles up, with a short down grade and then 1/4 mile of 8% a few miles from the start/finish line. The wind is not my friend unless it's from the rear.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 01:11 PM   #3
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
It's always windy where I ride. So much so that they wanted to put in an offshore wind farm around here. For many of us, rinding into the wind is just a fact of life. That's why I always record my rides with the wind speed and direction for that day.

Murphy’s Law #2
There will be a headwind in both directions. Always.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 01:46 PM   #4
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29
It was pretty windy all weekend. Did you get rained on during the ride?
Garilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 04:31 PM   #5
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
It was pretty windy all weekend. Did you get rained on during the ride?
NO RAIN! I didn't like the wind, but given the choice I'll take wind over rain. It rained pretty hard in the car on the way home, but it clear up. We hosted our club's post ride bbq, and the weather was great. We all had a great time.

Phil, I'm guessing the wind was 15 -18 out of the SE. Most of the return was South or East.

Alan, We usually have wind from a prevailing direction, but riding along the beach in condo valley we get swirling winds. And out on lake Okeechobee it seems there is always a head wind.
Old 03-08-11, 11:27 PM   #6
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
It's always windy where I ride. So much so that they wanted to put in an offshore wind farm around here. For many of us, rinding into the wind is just a fact of life. That's why I always record my rides with the wind speed and direction for that day.

Murphy’s Law #2
There will be a headwind in both directions. Always.
Me too.... there is rarely a neutral condition day around here.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 10:12 AM   #7
Drumnagorrach

Bikes: 531 Harry Hall/late seventies . Giant trance 3. Sabbath Silk Road Ti.d
I was starting to feel satisfied with yesterdays 38 miles,untill I read this.I only managed 12.5 mph. av. took me 3 hours,it was cold 4deg c 20 mph westerley gusting to 45 mph,3500 ft climbed and descended overall.
Covered about 250 miles so far on the road bike since the snow cleared,before that I only rode single track MTB routes not more than 10 miles but very intense,finding the change to the more endurance orientation of road riding
challenging.
Drumnagorrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 03:00 PM   #8
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnagorrach View Post
I was starting to feel satisfied with yesterdays 38 miles,untill I read this.I only managed 12.5 mph. av. took me 3 hours,it was cold 4deg c 20 mph westerley gusting to 45 mph,3500 ft climbed and descended overall.
Covered about 250 miles so far on the road bike since the snow cleared,before that I only rode single track MTB routes not more than 10 miles but very intense,finding the change to the more endurance orientation of road riding
challenging.
You should feel very satisfied with that work! Way to HTFU! I would not have gotten out of bed under those conditions!!!