Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-11, 04:39 PM   #1
macmccrady

Bikes: retired
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
intertrochanteric hip fracture repair and recovery

I am a 79 year-old runner/cyclist from Huntsvile, AL, who fractured my left hip on January 6. According to my surgeon, who repaired the fracture, I have made a remarkable recovery. I would like to share the details with others and hope to hear from other athletes, who have experienced similar breaks.

Mac
macmccrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 04:42 PM   #2
macmccrady

I just want to test the system
Old 03-08-11, 05:32 PM   #3
adamrice
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead w/ Chorus (road); Swobo Del Norte (street), Catrike Speed (recumbent trike)
The story of my first broken hip
adamrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 04:54 PM   #4
macmccrady

intertrochanteric hip fracture repair and recovery

I have had this repair done and am now in the process of recovering. My fracture occurred on January 6, 2011. I am interested in hearing from others with a similar injury regarding their recovery progress and what stages it went through, or is going through.
Mac
Old 03-09-11, 04:56 PM   #5
macmccrady

I am just testing to see if this is going to work. I am interested in hearing from other cyclists who have had a similar experience.
Old 03-09-11, 06:39 PM   #6
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Never had a hip fracture, but I ride because it is so much easier on my knees than running. Welcome to the forums. Hope you find lots of tips and inspiration for your recovery and can share inspiration with others.

What sort of riding do you do?
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 07:23 PM   #7
macmccrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Never had a hip fracture, but I ride because it is so much easier on my knees than running. Welcome to the forums. Hope you find lots of tips and inspiration for your recovery and can share inspiration with others.

What sort of riding do you do?
I am more of a runner than a cyclist. However, I compete in time trials and duathlons. I like racing short distances and find that because of the heart/lung conditioning I receive from running, I can get by with doing short training rides with sprints built in. I am 79 years old, so the competition is not fierce in my division. To my surprise, I was able to get back to cycling almost normally only a few weeks after my surgery.
Old 03-09-11, 07:36 PM   #8
macmccrady

You had a much harder time of it than I did. I think it is because of the difference in the location of the fracture. Your break was in the neck of the femur. Mine was an interchanteric fracture, which is below the neck. Even though I am 79 years old, I was back to fairly normal cycling on the road in just a few weeks after my surgery. It has been different for my running. After almost 9 weeks since surgery, I am only able to do slow jogging on the road. I am hoping I can be back to running fairly soon. I do a lot of racing, mostly running but some cycling, and I really miss it.
Old 03-09-11, 09:06 PM   #9
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom

Bikes:
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Wow that's pretty good, that was quick! I guess it does prove that if you are in good shape before an injury, you heal a lot faster. Cycling is much gentler on the body than running though. Low impact. Yeah... my kind of stuff .

Welcome to Bike Forums!
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 02:24 PM   #10
macmccrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Wow that's pretty good, that was quick! I guess it does prove that if you are in good shape before an injury, you heal a lot faster. Cycling is much gentler on the body than running though. Low impact. Yeah... my kind of stuff .

Welcome to Bike Forums!
Indeed, cycling is a low impact sport and, in many ways, more fun than running. I really enjoy it and nearly always feel good afterward. The only drawback for me is that I really have to work hard on a bike to get my pulse rate up and obtain aerobic conditioning. Also, impact like that you get from running is necessary in order to build and maintain bone density. I think someday I might turn strictly to cycling. If I don't recover well enough from my hip fracture to continue to be a competitive runner, the change might occur fairly soon.

Thanks for your Welcome.
Old 03-14-11, 12:16 PM   #11
macmccrady

Indeed, cycling is a low impact sport and, in many ways, more fun than running. I really enjoy it and nearly always feel good afterward. The only drawback for me is that I really have to work hard on a bike to get my pulse rate up and obtain aerobic conditioning. Also, impact like that you get from running is necessary in order to build and maintain bone density. I think someday I might turn strictly to cycling. If I don't recover well enough from my hip fracture to continue to be a competitive runner, the change might occur fairly soon.

Thanks for your Welcome.