Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the odds - a bike weight mystery

Both my sons were here yesterday afternoon for about and hour. I was talking to the youngest about a road bike build for him if he's interested. At one point he asked which of my road bikes was the lightest. I said I didn't know. So, out comes the scale. We hoisted the three I ride the most up on the hanging scale: Indy Fab Ti CJ; Colnago Master XL; Specialized S-Works Roubaix.

It was unbelievable. All three with pedals, water bottle cages and computers came in at the very same weight. 17.1 lbs. This was quite a surprise to me. But just to make sure the scale wasn't stuck at that level, we weighed my commuter and my old 80s steel road bike. Yep, the scales were accurate. I don't know what the odds are of such a thing, but I'm guessing it doesn't happen all that often, especially since the build is not the same on any of them.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is weird. No really , it is weird. * inserting Twilight Zone music*

I guess you just never know

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bet on 3 IDENTICAL bikes weighing the same to within 1/10 of a pound.

Every bicycle has 3 weights.

What the manufacturer says it weighs.
    What the owner thinks it weighs.
    What my scale says it weighs.

Care to guess which one is usually the highest?

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just weighed my MTB the other day, using a digital fish scale @ work.

35.2 lbs.

I'd be afraid of pretzeling a 17-lb bike, no matter what anyone says about their strength. This bike has lasted longer than any other I've ever used, and still rides like new. Everything else has either broken or flexed its way out my comfort zone.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very strange. Now that you have our attention, what are the specs of the three bikes?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Very strange. Now that you have our attention, what are the specs of the three bikes?
    Sure.

The Indy Fab: (custom 55 cm titanium frame with Edge 2.0 fork) has Dura Ace 7800 wheels with Conti 4000 tires, Ultegra 6700 compact crank; 7800 Dura Ace shifters, front/rear dérailleurs and brakes; Thompson Elite seat post; Koobie Xneon seat, Bontrager VRC bars and Race X-Lite Stem, Keo Sprint pedals, and a pair of King Ti water bottle cages.

The Colnago MXL (55 cm Columbus with Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork) has Open Pros on Ultegra Hubs with Conti 4000s tires, 9 speed Dura Ace brakes, shifters, 53-39 crank and front/rear dérailleurs, Selle Italia SLK seat, Thompson Elite seat post; ITM Alutech handlebar and stem; Keo Sprint pedals, and a pair of no name aluminum water bottle cages.

The S-Works Roubaix (54 cm with standard S-Works fork) has Open Pros on Dura Ace hubs with Michelin Krylion Carbon tires, 7800 Dura Ace shifter, brakes, front/rear dérailleurs, FSA K-Force compact crank; S-Works seat post, Selle Italia SLK seat, Ritchey WCS Evo Curve handlebars; S-Works stem; Keo Sprint pedals, and two Performance carbon water bottle cages.
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bikes! I would have guessed the Colnago would be just slightly heavier than the others.

I've been giving serious thought to getting a Koobi Xenon saddle for my Roubaix.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever happened to the Habanero?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by '47 View Post
    Whatever happened to the Habanero?
    It's in the bike shed waiting for my youngest son when he decides he want a road bike. Of course, it's minus a seatpost and seat right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Nice bikes! I would have guessed the Colnago would be just slightly heavier than the others.

I've been giving serious thought to getting a Koobi Xenon saddle for my Roubaix.
    I didn't like the Koobi the first two or three rides, but it grows on you fast. It's my long distance saddle now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three 17.1 lb bikes! Time to start shopping for a light bike.